freeinnocentspirit

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I was recently offered to be baptised and the pastor mentioned a believers baptism, how many forms of Baptism are there? Its something I want to do at a later stage but I didnt realize there were different forms?

Lets just say I was feeling a little compelled to be baptized and thats what made me step away a bit.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

Guest shiloh357

I was recently offered to be baptised and the pastor mentioned a believers baptism, how many forms of Baptism are there? Its something I want to do at a later stage but I didnt realize there were different forms?

Lets just say I was feeling a little compelled to be baptized and thats what made me step away a bit.

That is just a title that we in the Baptist denomination give to baptism. We call it believer's baptism because we believe that in Scripture, only those who are professed believers in Christ are elligible for baptism. It is distinquished from infant bapitsm.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

That is just a title that we in the Baptist denomination give to baptism. We call it believer's baptism because we believe that in Scripture, only those who are professed believers in Christ are elligible for baptism. It is distinquished from infant bapitsm.

Took me two years after being saved to be baptized. I waited until I was sure it felt right.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

John the Baptist said "I indeed baptize you with water but there is one coming after me (who is before me, whose shoes I am unworthy to tie) he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit or with fire (Luke 3:16).

Transliteration intended.

There are many baptisms. I used to be a Southern Baptist (and am currently attending one as a guest since my preferred congregation is 100 miles away). I remember the days of being baptized into a local congregation. If one moved often they were re-baptized quite often in that denomination. Jesus said he had a baptism to undergo and how he wished it had already passed referring to his trials and crucifixion and death... and resurrection... but the "one baptism" of Ephesians 4 is that of the Holy Spirit (i.e. the conversion from unbelief to belief)... or the baptism of unbelief which is fire or judgment because it has been decreed:

John 3:16-18 (NASB95)

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

17 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

He who believes is baptized of the Holy Spirit. He who does not believe will be baptized by fire.

Hope this helps.

Took me two years after being saved to be baptized. I waited until I was sure it felt right.

Im at a similar position right now, im 95% sure this is right for me however there are aspects of my lifestyle I need to fix. I know that I have been searching for some real answers from my agnostic days - I want to be baptized at that point when I have re-built my lifestyle more aligned to my faith. I just don't want to be one of these people who just have a religion for a title I want to follow all aspects of it.

(sorry I didn't know how to move a post! I think I posted this somewhere completely wrong!)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Since water baptism is an outward expression of the reality of us being buried with Christ and being baptised in the Holy Spirit I would have to say that I would have to be immersed in water. When they bury people they don't thow a little soil on them they cover them completely (6 ft. under). Water baptism must be by complete immersion in water.

Reality: Buried with Christ.

Outward demonstration of the reality: Water baptism

Water baptism is an outward showing to the church and the world of what happened in the reality.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

Since water baptism is an outward expression of the reality of us being buried with Christ and being baptised in the Holy Spirit I would have to say that I would have to be immersed in water. When they bury people they don't thow a little soil on them they cover them completely (6 ft. under). Water baptism must be by complete immersion in water.

Reality: Buried with Christ.

Outward demonstration of the reality: Water baptism

Water baptism is an outward showing to the church and the world of what happened in the reality.

This one :thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Im at a similar position right now, im 95% sure this is right for me however there are aspects of my lifestyle I need to fix. I know that I have been searching for some real answers from my agnostic days - I want to be baptized at that point when I have re-built my lifestyle more aligned to my faith. I just don't want to be one of these people who just have a religion for a title I want to follow all aspects of it.

(sorry I didn't know how to move a post! I think I posted this somewhere completely wrong!)

In a way, this is like saying you need to get cleaned up before you can take a bath.

When you read the Scriptures, there is no pre-requirement to baptism other than a confessed faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

One difference between Christianity and other religions is that you rely on God to rebuild you, rather than doing it all on your own. Our job is to yield and obey. The transformation is His job.

In a way, this is like saying you need to get cleaned up before you can take a bath.

When you read the Scriptures, there is no pre-requirement to baptism other than a confessed faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

One difference between Christianity and other religions is that you rely on God to rebuild you, rather than doing it all on your own. Our job is to yield and obey. The transformation is His job.

Well I wouldnt say cleansed as such - im all in. I want it to be a symbolic memory for me one for me to keep forever that I had a huge spiritual experience that changed my life. When I visited the Church it felt as though I was being compelled to be baptized prior to even being a part of the Church itself.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hebrews 6:1-2

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ,

let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of

repentance from dead works and

faith toward God,

the doctrine of baptisms (plural),

laying on of hands,

resurrection of the dead, and

eternal judgment.

I believe there are at least 4 different baptisms ...

Baptism into the church (salvation) --- the Holy Spirit is the baptiser

This does NOT refer to a phony salvation, i.e. merely an intellectual belief or conversion of one’s thinking.

But this refers to being “born again (from above)” with the Holy Spirit entering the person.

“For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body (the church)

… and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 12:13)

The Holy Spirit takes up residence INSIDE the believer … John 14:16-23; Romans 8:11;

1 Corinthians 3:16; Galatians 4:6; 1 Timothy 1:14; 1 John 3:24; 1 John 4:12-16.

Baptism in water (symbolic demonstration of faith) --- man is the baptiser

Full-immersion baptism in water is symbolic, being the outward expression of inward faith.

Any other type of water baptism is unscriptural and just dreamed up by man.

“Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were

baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death,

that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,

even so we also should walk in newness of life.” (Romans 6:3-4)

”… buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through

faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” (Colossians 2:12)

Jesus died to self, went down under the earth, was resurrected with a new incorruptible body.

We are to die to self, go down under the water, come up a new man ready to live a new life.

Paul said, “Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Corinthians 1:17).

Scripture says we are justified by faith alone, not by works (Romans 4:1-8, Ephesians 2:8-9).

Baptism with the Holy Spirit (mostly power for ministry) --- Jesus is the baptiser

John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit

… Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33.

The baptism with the Holy Spirit comes after being born again (or at the same time).

7 verses say that for this baptism the Holy Spirit comes UPON the believer, for example:

“… the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered

the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall

be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ ” (Acts 11:15-16)

“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed? ... When they heard this,

they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them,

the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.” (Acts 19:2-6)

Do people speak in tongues when they believe, or when they are baptized in water?

Baptism with fire (extreme suffering for the gospel’s sake) --- Jesus is the baptiser

John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is the One who baptizes with fire.

“He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Matthew 3:11, Luke 3:16)

Jesus asks His 12 disciples if they are able and willing to be martyrs after Him …

“Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the

baptism that I am baptized with? … You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized

with the baptism that I am baptized with …” (Matthew 20:22-23, Mark 10:38-39)

All of the baptisms are glorious blessings, even the baptism with fire:

“Blessed are those who are persected for rightousness sake” (Matthew 5:10).

Edited by SoGrateful