~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Alright, this baffles me, so clue me in on what logic you are using.

I live in a country with compulsory voting and none of the candidates are suitable. None of the candidates meet all the requirements [anti abortion, anti gay marriage, chaplains in schools, etc]. I legally must vote for someone whose ideals are different to mine, I have no choice. So I look a little different at the value of my vote.

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party, and I think it can be a bit of a cop out to not vote [or donkey vote], claim that you are not supporting immorality, when in reality your lack of vote supports that same immorality anyway. See what I mean? If none of the candidates in the upcoming American election are suitable (and from what I've read, none of them really are) then refusing to vote at all (in essence a vote for the ruling party) can be worse than voting for the least immoral candidate.

Honestly confused! If you can vote but aren't, why?

There is no place on the ballad for Jesus.

And?

This isn't a theocracy. The fact that it isn't doesn't absolve us of our responsibility when it comes to voting.

Responsibility? Is it so wrong that I do not put my faith in man, but God? Either way you vote, it is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils....

No one called you the devil. I don't know where you get the idea that voting = putting faith in man? My faith is in God. God put this government in place and we have a vote. I am going to use that voice to further His kingdom as much as I possibly can. Can we please dispense with the strawmen?

I am sorry but I do not take lightly to be called names...even if it is as simple as being implied that I am Irresponsible. Truth be told....politics are LAST on my priority list. There are other responsibilites that come first for me. Yes, in a sense I do feel that voting is putting your faith in man after all it is a man, not God getting the vote. Sadly I have yet to see an honest politician.

So let me get this straight... it's NOT ok to suggest that we have a responsibility to account for our vote, but it is ok to say that voting is putting faith in man and not God??? I'm sorry, but I'm not wearing it.

No one called you any names at all. The fact is that God has put every government system in place and since this is what He has given us, the best we can do is prayerfully respond when we are given the chance.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

I live in a country with compulsory voting and none of the candidates are suitable. None of the candidates meet all the requirements [anti abortion, anti gay marriage, chaplains in schools, etc]. I legally must vote for someone whose ideals are different to mine, I have no choice. So I look a little different at the value of my vote.

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party, and I think it can be a bit of a cop out to not vote [or donkey vote], claim that you are not supporting immorality, when in reality your lack of vote supports that same immorality anyway. See what I mean? If none of the candidates in the upcoming American election are suitable (and from what I've read, none of them really are) then refusing to vote at all (in essence a vote for the ruling party) can be worse than voting for the least immoral candidate.

And?

This isn't a theocracy. The fact that it isn't doesn't absolve us of our responsibility when it comes to voting.

Responsibility? Is it so wrong that I do not put my faith in man, but God? Either way you vote, it is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils....

No one called you the devil. I don't know where you get the idea that voting = putting faith in man? My faith is in God. God put this government in place and we have a vote. I am going to use that voice to further His kingdom as much as I possibly can. Can we please dispense with the strawmen?

I am sorry but I do not take lightly to be called names...even if it is as simple as being implied that I am Irresponsible. Truth be told....politics are LAST on my priority list. There are other responsibilites that come first for me. Yes, in a sense I do feel that voting is putting your faith in man after all it is a man, not God getting the vote. Sadly I have yet to see an honest politician.

So let me get this straight... it's NOT ok to suggest that we have a responsibility to account for our vote, but it is ok to say that voting is putting faith in man and not God??? I'm sorry, but I'm not wearing it.

No one called you any names at all. The fact is that God has put every government system in place and since this is what He has given us, the best we can do is prayerfully respond when we are given the chance.

Alright, I can admit I have likely let my feathers get a little ruffled. So my apologies.

Yes, God did put the goverment system into place... because we asked for it in the OT days.... I pray for whomever gets elected. Beyond that, I really do not feel comfortable voting for someone who does not have my full support. Seeing what has been coming out of the office over the last eight years, cannot say I would be too happy if I did vote....

Is there any scripture that says we SHOULD vote? I know there are passages that speak of respecting the officials placed above you, but that does not necessarily mean that we are obligated to vote.

Edited by AnotherSinner

And?

Alright, I can admit I have likely let my feathers get a little ruffled. So my apologies.

Yes, God did put the goverment system into place... because we asked for it in the OT days.... I pray for whomever gets elected. Beyond that, I really do not feel comfortable voting for someone who does not have my full support. Seeing what has been coming out of the office over the last eight years, cannot say I would be too happy if I did vote....

Is there any scripture that says we SHOULD vote? I know there are passages that speak of respecting the officials placed above you, but that does not necessarily mean that we are obligated to vote.

emot-hug.gif

I think you are in a quandry. God has given us this government as His mandate, and yet, God has NOT given us candidates we are totally satisfied with. It is still what He's given us, and I see a mandate in the bible to live our whole lives in sacrifice to Him, in obedience to Him, bringing everything to prayer... so I don't see anywhere that voting is given as an exception to that rule?

Let me ask a related question.

Both candidates A and B have flaws in their religious beliefs and in their policy so that you are not completely satisfied with either. However, A's has many many more policies that disagree with the Word.

If candidate A is currently in power, and all votes are tied, and you have the option of casting the deciding vote FOR B, in order to replace evil A with not-quite-so-evil B, or not voting at all (hence A continues in power), would you vote?

And?

emot-hug.gif

I think you are in a quandry. God has given us this government as His mandate, and yet, God has NOT given us candidates we are totally satisfied with. It is still what He's given us, and I see a mandate in the bible to live our whole lives in sacrifice to Him, in obedience to Him, bringing everything to prayer... so I don't see anywhere that voting is given as an exception to that rule?

Both candidates A and B have flaws in their religious beliefs and in their policy so that you are not completely satisfied with either. However, A's has many many more policies that disagree with the Word.

If candidate A is currently in power, and all votes are tied, and you have the option of casting the deciding vote FOR B, in order to replace evil A with not-quite-so-evil B, or not voting at all (hence A continues in power), would you vote?

Yes, and likely for B.

emot-hug.gif

Yes, and likely for B.

So then why aren't you voting now, for the "lesser evil"?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

ok, so if we had a hitler and stalin? to whom should we support?

candice. im not voting for any of the neocons/progressives and wont go democrat either. ron paul is close but he isnt up to par. so i will write one in,. if enough persons do this then they will get the message. voting in the lesser of two evils is insane. we ought to either run or get some who does represent us.

ok, so if we had a hitler and stalin? to whom should we support?

candice. im not voting for any of the neocons/progressives and wont go democrat either. ron paul is close but he isnt up to par. so i will write one in,. if enough persons do this then they will get the message. voting in the lesser of two evils is insane. we ought to either run or get some who does represent us.

I understand. I think if that is your opinion, you at least have a valid reason for your non vote.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Some random thoughts on this topic "why don't you vote"

1. I don't see any Scriptural commands to vote or not to vote (since our form of gov't was unknown in Biblical times). In the US where voting is not mandatory, I see voting becoming a matter of one's own choice. It's different, of course, in countries like Australia where voting is mandatory. There, one should submit to authority (by obeying the law.)

Now, if someone in a compulsory voting country has a moral reason not to vote and chooses to "sit it out", then that person should be prepared to suffer whatever penalties that come with breaking a law (again, submitting to the authorities placed over them).

2. "Does NOT VOTING equal a vote for the "status quo?" With all due respect, this argument is trotted out every election cycle (usually by the republicans). If you don't vote for Dole you're voting for Clinton. If you don't vote for McCain, you're voting for Obama. etc. etc.

I don't see it that way, and here's why: If you (republicans) want us to vote for your candidate, then give us positive reasons WHY. Don't just bash the other guy (we already know their faults.)

The truth is, the Republican party has been "split" between establishment and more conservative factions ever since the end of WWII. The "establishment" candidate usually wins out, and the conservative faction is expected to then "sit down, shut up and vote for the candidate." In most cases, we have.

There was one time when the conservative candidate prevailed - in '64 with Goldwater. So it was the establishment's turn to "support the candidate".

Their reaction was illustrative - the Nelson Rockefeller and William Scranton factions basically "stayed home" and pretty much trashed the candidate at every opportunity.

So much for "unity." and the good of the party.

Of course, the more recent example is Reagan. While the establishment didn't "take their blocks and go home" in '80 when they didn't get their candidate (Bush Sr.), they DID demand he be put on the ticket as VP

And we've been saddled with the Bushes ever since.

3. Now with that little bit of history out of the way, what about this upcoming election? Should conservatives hold their collective noses and vote for Romney? Should they vote third party? Should they just stay home? As Christians, what should be our obligations or participation (or lack therof).

I cannot answer those questions for anyone else, just myself. Christians are going to come to all kinds of different conclusions (some Christians ***gasp**** may even end up voting for Obama - although I am at a loss to explain that perspective)

With that caveat out of the way, here's my take: I won't vote for Romney because I don't see him addressing the problems we as a nation face. Like I've said before, he (and the GOP) are simply "democrat lite."

In the larger scheme of things, we are at a point where elections are not going to solve our problems anyway. Obama? Romney? The end result is going to be the same.

We are going to have to depend more on God as a nation (and less on these fallible politicians and this corrupt political system)

And that will be a good thing, won't it?

Blessings!

-Ed

emot-hug.gif

Yes, and likely for B.

So then why aren't you voting now, for the "lesser evil"?

Seeing how little I know of politics, which is exceedling little outside of what I have been raised around and taught....first question likely should be, how am I going to get informed? Last election, I was not registered...which was probably for the best, but will begin praying about this upcoming one.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Some random thoughts on this topic "why don't you vote"

1. I don't see any Scriptural commands to vote or not to vote (since our form of gov't was unknown in Biblical times). In the US where voting is not mandatory, I see voting becoming a matter of one's own choice. It's different, of course, in countries like Australia where voting is mandatory. There, one should submit to authority (by obeying the law.)

Now, if someone in a compulsory voting country has a moral reason not to vote and chooses to "sit it out", then that person should be prepared to suffer whatever penalties that come with breaking a law (again, submitting to the authorities placed over them).

2. "Does NOT VOTING equal a vote for the "status quo?" With all due respect, this argument is trotted out every election cycle (usually by the republicans). If you don't vote for Dole you're voting for Clinton. If you don't vote for McCain, you're voting for Obama. etc. etc.

I don't see it that way, and here's why: If you (republicans) want us to vote for your candidate, then give us positive reasons WHY. Don't just bash the other guy (we already know their faults.)

The truth is, the Republican party has been "split" between establishment and more conservative factions ever since the end of WWII. The "establishment" candidate usually wins out, and the conservative faction is expected to then "sit down, shut up and vote for the candidate." In most cases, we have.

There was one time when the conservative candidate prevailed - in '64 with Goldwater. So it was the establishment's turn to "support the candidate".

Their reaction was illustrative - the Nelson Rockefeller and William Scranton factions basically "stayed home" and pretty much trashed the candidate at every opportunity.

So much for "unity." and the good of the party.

Of course, the more recent example is Reagan. While the establishment didn't "take their blocks and go home" in '80 when they didn't get their candidate (Bush Sr.), they DID demand he be put on the ticket as VP

And we've been saddled with the Bushes ever since.

3. Now with that little bit of history out of the way, what about this upcoming election? Should conservatives hold their collective noses and vote for Romney? Should they vote third party? Should they just stay home? As Christians, what should be our obligations or participation (or lack therof).

I cannot answer those questions for anyone else, just myself. Christians are going to come to all kinds of different conclusions (some Christians ***gasp**** may even end up voting for Obama - although I am at a loss to explain that perspective)

With that caveat out of the way, here's my take: I won't vote for Romney because I don't see him addressing the problems we as a nation face. Like I've said before, he (and the GOP) are simply "democrat lite."

In the larger scheme of things, we are at a point where elections are not going to solve our problems anyway. Obama? Romney? The end result is going to be the same.

We are going to have to depend more on God as a nation (and less on these fallible politicians and this corrupt political system)

And that will be a good thing, won't it?

Blessings!

-Ed

Ed....you should write a political column! I seldom ever see or hear the truth; that the Republicans and Democrats are joined at the hip and, rhetoric aside, they're both just jousting for power and even the leftist media is being played by them. They don't give a flying fig about 'the people' and I will never again just go along with the candidate the good ol' boys chose for us (I see you recognize the power of money when it came to establishing the Bush family in American politics). Even if it means writing in Donald Duck for President and I don't care if a write-in vote is a wasted vote. At least I can know I didn't vote for an abortionist OR a Mormon on the morning of November 7th.