• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,925
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I still attend a Wesleyan Church.:thumbsup: I think I'd of asked them what was in the water they were drinking.:taped::laugh: Just kidding, just kidding.:rolleyes:

When we moved to our present location there were not any Wesleyan churches nearby, so we joined the Church of the Nazarene. Their doctrine is pretty close to the Wesleyans (and the Free Methodists, of which I have family ties to also).

In the years we lived in Oklahoma, I did get to know the couple I wrote about pretty well (he has since passed away and she is living in an assisted living center). Other than Sam's (not his real name) politics (the Mrs. was not really political, but she went along with Sam), they were a great couple. We loved going over to their house and playing UNO with them.

I even came to understand to a degree WHY Sam was a democrat. He'd grown up during the Depression and was raised in the South. He family very much admired FDR. And, like I said, he was very much pro-union (as a member of the UAW.). It's hard to deny that our political beliefs are at least shaped to some degree by our upbringing and environment.

Blessings!

-Ed

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

I still attend a Wesleyan Church.:thumbsup: I think I'd of asked them what was in the water they were drinking.:taped::laugh: Just kidding, just kidding.:rolleyes:

When we moved to our present location there were not any Wesleyan churches nearby, so we joined the Church of the Nazarene. Their doctrine is pretty close to the Wesleyans (and the Free Methodists, of which I have family ties to also).

In the years we lived in Oklahoma, I did get to know the couple I wrote about pretty well (he has since passed away and she is living in an assisted living center). Other than Sam's (not his real name) politics (the Mrs. was not really political, but she went along with Sam), they were a great couple. We loved going over to their house and playing UNO with them.

I even came to understand to a degree WHY Sam was a democrat. He'd grown up during the Depression and was raised in the South. He family very much admired FDR. And, like I said, he was very much pro-union (as a member of the UAW.). It's hard to deny that our political beliefs are at least shaped to some degree by our upbringing and environment.

Blessings!

-Ed

Bro,

My Dad was raised at the tale end of the Great Depression and was a life long Democrat until recently, until prior to 9/11, and then when Obama came along he'd had enough. He actually warned all of his kids not to vote for this man and that he was Despot. This was prior to the 2008 elections finish.

Sadly, Dad passed away this January. I was at his Gravesite this morning. I hadn't been since they buried him back in January.:wub:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,925
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Bro,

My Dad was raised at the tale end of the Great Depression and was a life long Democrat until recently, until prior to 9/11, and then when Obama came along he'd had enough. He actually warned all of his kids not to vote for this man and that he was Despot. This was prior to the 2008 elections finish.

Sadly, Dad passed away this January. I was at his Gravesite this morning. I hadn't been since they buried him back in January.:wub:

It's funny, isn't it. How different people - raised in the same era and under the same economic conditions - can sometimes come to different political viewpoints.

My parents were slightly older than the couple I wrote about - but they were basically Depression era kids also. Both were poor - my Grandfather on my Dad's side was a Preacher/evangelist, heading a family of about 10 kids.

Yet BOTH my parents were Republicans. I'm not sure of the reasons (I never really asked them), but I suspect it might have been partly due to my Dad's being a "fend for yourself" kind of guy who disliked welfare programs. Even as poor as they were growing up, they never accepted outside help. They were fortunate in that they had a number of boys in the family - all of whom (including my Dad) were expected to go to work once they reached 16.

Sorry to hear of the recent loss of your Dad, BTW. My dad passed in Sept of '04, my mom in Nov of '10. It's tough, but eventually the grief fades and you can think of all the good times.

Blessings!

-Ed

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

Im not that old but I too was a lifelong democrat until just before obama won the election. I saw how things were changing in the democratic party and I did not like that change. Its gotten worse since then. I have a personal 3 strikes rule. Obama was the last strike. The first came from janet napolitano, now head of homeland security, who was governor of my state at the time.

Im not a republican. Im an independent. To those who will not vote obama out of office with their vote against romney and obama, I see a whole level of difference between obama and romney. Obama will have no one to answer to. Romney still will. Among those he has to answer to is his church. While I do not like the mormon religion, they do not support abortion and are quite conservative. Romney will not be able to go against conservative views either without alienating his church. As a mormon with his standing in the church, he will not do that.

One thing janet napolitano said after her second win as governor, was that the people have given her a mandate. Thats when she showed her true colors and started doing things that were very bad for my state, and was what the democratic party supported, the progressive stuff. Mark my words. If obama wins again, he will feel he has a mandate and things will get worse. Much much worse.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

I stand by my previoius statement, I am going to know just what I am voting for. Not just going to vote Romney 'just because' he is against Obama. It is no better than voting Obama because he is black.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

I stand by my previoius statement, I am going to know just what I am voting for. Not just going to vote Romney 'just because' he is against Obama. It is no better than voting Obama because he is black.

What do you find unelectable about Romney besides his Religion? You've stated Abortion. I would agree. He now states that he has had a change of heart, so too did Ronald Reagan.

What else? Can you list some things you find objectionable about him and how they pary with Obama or in what way's they are the same?

What do you find unelectable about Romney besides his Religion? You've stated Abortion. I would agree. He now states that he has had a change of heart, so too did Ronald Reagan.

What else? Can you list some things you find objectionable about him and how they pary with Obama or in what way's they are the same?

Think you are mistaking me for someone else.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

I don't think anyone is asking you to do that Sis. They are asking you to vote for someone else because they are better than Obama. What does this have to do with race?

I don't think anyone is asking you to do that Sis. They are asking you to vote for someone else because they are better than Obama. What does this have to do with race?

Nothing just have heard people say that they would vote for him the previous election for 'just' that reason. LOL that is why I cannot 'just' vote for opposition without knowing just what opposition I am voting for.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

romney has flip flopped five times on abortion and didnt say even no to gay rights in mass. even it would be overriden at least im not going to support it. to me that says a lot.

with the obama mandate on birthcontrol in effect, what will make you think that romney will overturn it? i dont.