• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/20/1946

Can some help me understand the Trinity? My minister and fellow church members have tried and they don't seem to have a problem with it. But I do. Most often quoted to me is John 10:30 " I and my father are one." But in other scriptures (I can't find right now) Jesus talks to the disciples and he says I am in you and you in me. All through the scriptures, Jesus refers to God as his Father. I really don't see it, so I have decided it doesn't really matter. I love Jesus and God and I am so glad I have the Holy Spirit. I know Christ died and rose and he is preparing a place for me in heaven. I will live my life according to that knowledge. One day as I see jesus... I will know the truth. :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Mama, if we could understand God, we would be equal with God in that sense. The Godhead (or Trinity) is clearly taught in scripture, we are just to accept it as fact. Trying to explain it in scientific or human terms usually ends in hilarity from both opponents, and proponents. Oneness cannot be possibly right, because scripture clearly distinguishes the Father and the Son, even before his incarnation our Lord was "God"and "with God". Three persons, one Being.

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all

Gen 3:22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--

Gen 11:6 The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.

Gen 11:7 "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

Mama, if we could understand God, we would be equal with God in that sense. The Godhead (or Trinity) is clearly taught in scripture, we are just to accept it as fact. Trying to explain it in scientific or human terms usually ends in hilarity from both opponents, and proponents. Oneness cannot be possibly right, because scripture clearly distinguishes the Father and the Son, even before his incarnation our Lord was "God"and "with God". Three persons, one Being.

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all

Gen 3:22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--

Gen 11:6 The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.

Gen 11:7 "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

I guess it's the 'our likness" 'our image" and "us" that confuses me. :noidea:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I guess it's the 'our likness" 'our image" and "us" that confuses me. :noidea:

We know God does not share his glory with anyone (I mean his supreme glory). He could not possibly be talking about angels or the host of heaven. They are created beings like us. Plenty of Scripture places all three in perfect unity. Father, Son , Holy Spirit.

2Co 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

Mat 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

The Father speaking to the Lord Jesus Christ says some incredible things. It's mind blowing in my opinion.

Heb 1:8 But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.

Heb 1:9 "YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS; THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."

Heb 1:10 And, "YOU, LORD, IN THE BEGINNING LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH, AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS;

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.

Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Edited by saved34

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Can some help me understand the Trinity? My minister and fellow church members have tried and they don't seem to have a problem with it. But I do. Most often quoted to me is John 10:30 " I and my father are one." But in other scriptures (I can't find right now) Jesus talks to the disciples and he says I am in you and you in me. All through the scriptures, Jesus refers to God as his Father. I really don't see it, so I have decided it doesn't really matter. I love Jesus and God and I am so glad I have the Holy Spirit. I know Christ died and rose and he is preparing a place for me in heaven. I will live my life according to that knowledge. One day as I see jesus... I will know the truth. :noidea:

Hi Grandma, I wrote this awhile back when I was asking God the same question. It is a bit difficult to maneuver through but pray for understanding and may God help you understand how you are just like him!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

www.bible.ca/trinity

The triune understanding is the biblical, historical, orthodox view attacked by Arians (JWs) and Oneness (modalists; Jesus Only). God is compound unity, not solitary. Within the one eternal, uncreated spirit nature/substance/essence/being of God are 3 personal distinctions/conscious centers. They are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential, not 3 gods (tritheism/Mormonism/polytheism). The first step is to understand the Deity of Christ...Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh. The Holy Spirit is personal, not impersonal. The trinity follows.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/15/1959

Hello Grandma dolittle:

It sounds like you have a problem with the divinity of Jesus Christ.

If you believe that scripture reveals who God is and that what is revealed about God is truth and is not contradictory, then these texts will help you see what you do not see.

First off, I hope that you decide against "deciding it doesnt matter", because it matters greatly. The doctrine of the Trinity is a uniquely Christian and perfectly biblical truth where the various aspects of Jesus Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit are understood as the right and true biblical presentation of the One True God in whom we have trusted.

Eph 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call--

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Eph 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

In numerous places the scripture places all 3 persons of the godhead next to each other as does the Ephesians texts. So also, 1Pe_1:2, 1Co_12:3-6;

The scriptures make this division because the Father is not the Son, nor is the Son the Father, Yet the Spirit is also neither the Son or the Father.

You also might have noticed that our Salvation is credited to the working of all three persons...Tit 3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,

Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Tit 3:6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Now let us look at each person more specificially.

Jesus Christ is fully human "1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

1Ti 2:6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

Jesus is fully human and it was his manhood=humanity that was crucified and given as a ransom for all.

Jesus being human, fully man, suffered, was beaten, hungered, was weary, slept, was thirsty, wept and was circumcised. I didnt post all these texts, but a concordance will take you to all of these.

Jesus being fully divine, meaning that he is God, not a demi-god, or an angel or a modal-god.

Texts for his divinity.

Isa 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.

Isa 6:2 Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.

Isa 6:3 And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

compare this to.....Joh 12:41 Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him.

Of course it would be good to quote the most straight forward text as to Christ's Divinity and Humanity.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

It is right that we honor Jesus Christ as we do God. It is right that we honor Jesus Christ because he is God.

Joh 5:23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

These and many other scriptures that reveal to us that Jesus Christ judges people. That Jesus Christ forgives sins, That Jesus Christ is creator of all things, That Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lords, a title that no one but the Divine Son of God could ever take upon himself. Jesus Christ bestows grace and imparts the Holy Spirit.

As far as the Spirit of God, you didnt make mention so I wont delve into that now. But for brevity, this short post should point you to the two truths about Jesus Christ, that he is fully divine and fully human and we who believe the truth, worship him as the One True God -in whom dwells the fullness of the godhead bodily.

R.E.

Hello Grandma dolittle:

It sounds like you have a problem with the divinity of Jesus Christ.

If you believe that scripture reveals who God is and that what is revealed about God is truth and is not contradictory, then these texts will help you see what you do not see.

First off, I hope that you decide against "deciding it doesnt matter", because it matters greatly. The doctrine of the Trinity is a uniquely Christian and perfectly biblical truth where the various aspects of Jesus Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit are understood as the right and true biblical presentation of the One True God in whom we have trusted.

Eph 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call--

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Eph 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

In numerous places the scripture places all 3 persons of the godhead next to each other as does the Ephesians texts. So also, 1Pe_1:2, 1Co_12:3-6;

The scriptures make this division because the Father is not the Son, nor is the Son the Father, Yet the Spirit is also neither the Son or the Father.

You also might have noticed that our Salvation is credited to the working of all three persons...Tit 3:4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,

Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Tit 3:6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Now let us look at each person more specificially.

Jesus Christ is fully human "1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

1Ti 2:6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

Jesus is fully human and it was his manhood=humanity that was crucified and given as a ransom for all.

Jesus being human, fully man, suffered, was beaten, hungered, was weary, slept, was thirsty, wept and was circumcised. I didnt post all these texts, but a concordance will take you to all of these.

Jesus being fully divine, meaning that he is God, not a demi-god, or an angel or a modal-god.

Texts for his divinity.

Isa 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.

Isa 6:2 Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.

Isa 6:3 And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

compare this to.....Joh 12:41 Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him.

Of course it would be good to quote the most straight forward text as to Christ's Divinity and Humanity.

Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

It is right that we honor Jesus Christ as we do God. It is right that we honor Jesus Christ because he is God.

Joh 5:23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

These and many other scriptures that reveal to us that Jesus Christ judges people. That Jesus Christ forgives sins, That Jesus Christ is creator of all things, That Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lords, a title that no one but the Divine Son of God could ever take upon himself. Jesus Christ bestows grace and imparts the Holy Spirit.

As far as the Spirit of God, you didnt make mention so I wont delve into that now. But for brevity, this short post should point you to the two truths about Jesus Christ, that he is fully divine and fully human and we who believe the truth, worship him as the One True God -in whom dwells the fullness of the godhead bodily.

R.E.

RE, I truly believe in the divinity of Jesus and I believe he was sent to earth in the form of a man. It makes my heart ache to think of the tortures he went through for us. But,... I see him as the "only begotten Son of God" and the Holy Spirit is that part of God that lives in me. I have prayed that God would open my eyes and make the trinity known to me if it was important to him that I understand it. That is why I said it doesn't matter to me because God has not reveal the knowledge to me yet. Don't get me wrong. I believe with all my heart in Jesus and I thank him everyday for his blood. At the same time I thank God for his love to send his son to die for me. I believe that the Word was God, and the Word was WITH God... and now I have confused myself! I'll keep praying. God is the only one who can really show me.

Hi Grandma, I wrote this awhile back when I was asking God the same question. It is a bit difficult to maneuver through but pray for understanding and may God help you understand how you are just like him!

Gary, I read the topic you posted and it makes sense. It gives me something to ponder. I haven't thought of it like that. :emot-questioned:

www.bible.ca/trinity

The triune understanding is the biblical, historical, orthodox view attacked by Arians (JWs) and Oneness (modalists; Jesus Only). God is compound unity, not solitary. Within the one eternal, uncreated spirit nature/substance/essence/being of God are 3 personal distinctions/conscious centers. They are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential, not 3 gods (tritheism/Mormonism/polytheism). The first step is to understand the Deity of Christ...Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh. The Holy Spirit is personal, not impersonal. The trinity follows.

Thank you. I am learning to look at this different than i have before. I Thank God for you members that are being paitent and explaining this to me. I love all of you.