taylor30

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

I have a question that got me thinking based on a radio commercial that plays about 100 times a day for some odd reason.

Should organ donation be mandatory for the good of others?

Is it selfish to deny others what you can't keep and they need?

My personal opinion of both questions is YES. What do you think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Mandatory? No it shouldn't be. That is the ultimate invasion of personal liberty. Is it selfish? Not so sure about that either. People have some valid beliefs that cause them to want their body intact after death.

Personally I will donate anything I can, but I'm not about to condemn others for selfishness because they believe differently about organ donation.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

I have a question that got me thinking based on a radio commercial that plays about 100 times a day for some odd reason.

This is a matter of freedom and personal opinion, so my answer would be NO to both. Forcing someone to donate body parts would be unthinkable.

Mandatory? No it shouldn't be. That is the ultimate invasion of personal liberty. Is it selfish? Not so sure about that either. People have some valid beliefs that cause them to want their body intact after death.

Personally I will donate anything I can, but I'm not about to condemn others for selfishness because they believe differently about organ donation.

I'm not talking about condemning anyone. I am only saying is it right to allow someone the supposed "right" to refuse someone something that can help someone after thay no longer have need of it. Sort of like a millioniare putting in his will that his cash should be burned though he lives in a small poor town ( as an illustration ).

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

If we refuse a person the right to make the choice of if they can donate an organ...well, why not do the same with one's faith or other aspects?

To force someone to give...is not really giving at all.

Plan to donate what I can. None of my organs are going with me when I leave this earth. Still, as others have said not all believe in doing this. Some have beliefs that would otherwise keep them from doing so. If they choose not to and their actions cost someone their life...that is something that will be faced in the end. For there is a not a sin that God does not know of. Nor is there a secret that He has not heard or seen that we live and breathe every day.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I do not think organ donation should be mandantory. I think it is each individual's right to choose to give organs or not to should be done so freely. Now, I DO have a great respect for those who DO donate their organs to others in need. I think that is a very compassionate and wonderful thing for someone to do.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I'm not talking about condemning anyone. I am only saying is it right to allow someone the supposed "right" to refuse someone something that can help someone after thay no longer have need of it. Sort of like a millioniare putting in his will that his cash should be burned though he lives in a small poor town ( as an illustration ).

Yes, we have the right to refuse someone something even if it can help them.

We have the right to have money and not give it to people in need.

Biblically, giving is to be free will, not coerced, not forced, done in secret, where it will be rewarded by the Father.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Taylor,

Your organs are part of YOUR body and your right to do with them as you please.

I personally see organ donation as a kind, loving thing to do, but in no way should it be forced.

It should be noted that some organs are not acceptable for donation.

I know some Christians who believe in a future resurrection of their bodies are hesitant to donate their organs, but I personally would not hesitate to do so if mine were usable.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

What is mandatory is righteousness before God which is Loving God with all your heart, mind, soul and body and your neighbor as yourself. The question would be, How does organ donation fit into that?

Good question. Once again you bring up selfishness as a possible root cause for someone deciding against donating organs. My question above asks the question, Is what we are deciding to do, with anything, centered around our love for God and others or a self-centered human desire?

I am an organ donor. I leave forcing people to do things up to God as that is his department. When man gets involved in forcing people to do things, he is rarely ever just in his efforts.

Gary

Yes, we have the right to refuse someone something even if it can help them.

We have the right to have money and not give it to people in need.

Biblically, giving is to be free will, not coerced, not forced, done in secret, where it will be rewarded by the Father.

Yes technically we have the "right" to do it. But having the right does not necessarily "make it right" if you see what I mean. I guess I am on my own on this one. I just believe a Moral Obligation to help someone should not be a choice. IMO