Sevenseas

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Like others, I have been stunned by the vitriol in some threads. And, likewise, I have dropped out in order to escape the unpleasantness.

This business of quoting chaper and verse, though, I find very odd. Jesus never did it, Paul, Peter, James, etc never did it. (In fact, chapters andd verses weren't addded until many hundreds of years later.) If it was good enough for Jesus to say 'as it is written', or refer to 'the prophets' or 'the law' why should we do any differently? In fact, I reckon we'd all do a lot better to quote less scripture and focus more on Jesus!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Like others, I have been stunned by the vitriol in some threads. And, likewise, I have dropped out in order to escape the unpleasantness.

This business of quoting chaper and verse, though, I find very odd. Jesus never did it, Paul, Peter, James, etc never did it. (In fact, chapters andd verses weren't addded until many hundreds of years later.) If it was good enough for Jesus to say 'as it is written', or refer to 'the prophets' or 'the law' why should we do any differently? In fact, I reckon we'd all do a lot better to quote less scripture and focus more on Jesus!

Hi John

Not to argue, but isn't quoting scripture the same as 'it is written?' We are actually quoting from what was written...Jesus quoted the OT,

He was busy creating the reason for the New. Personally, I expect someone to state where what they are quoting is located in the Bible

But I do agree that scripture should not be used as a weapon to whack another Christian over the head with. I've had that done to me

in this forum (and I'm practically a babe here ;) ), in other forums and in real time life...all by other Christians

That, makes me sad and makes me wonder what that person thinks they are doing...how can that be? We are not enemies of

each other...Jesus said that the world will know we are Christians by our love. (for each other)

We should actually be willing to lay down our life for each other....esteem each other better than ourselves...well, there I go off the deep end again...

We are supposed to speak the truth in love and have patience...if with an unbeliever, than even more with another brother and or sister in Christ?

I have not often had that modelled to me..........

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

It is my experience, that how people respond to a post, depends on what buttons you push. For myself, I can let most post I don't agree with run off my shoulder, but push the buttons like judging God or others, being unpatriotic and then you hit my red (don't go there) button.

I have a question for "gdemoss", in your post you mentioned that God deceives (2 Thes. 2). Where is the verse that says this? I read 2 Thes 2 over and over, I can't find anywhere where it says God deceives, only Satan or the Antichrist. I have always been taught that God is all about truth and that is what I believe.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

I really do know the answer to everything. Jesus. Im always right about that fact because I AM said so. :D

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

It is my experience, that how people respond to a post, depends on what buttons you push. For myself, I can let most post I don't agree with run off my shoulder, but push the buttons like judging God or others, being unpatriotic and then you hit my red (don't go there) button.

I have a question for "gdemoss", in your post you mentioned that God deceives (2 Thes. 2). Where is the verse that says this? I read 2 Thes 2 over and over, I can't find anywhere where it says God deceives, only Satan or the Antichrist. I have always been taught that God is all about truth and that is what I believe.

It states God will send them a delusion. God does not lie and cannot lie but he created liars to do that for him. Nothing is impossible with God.

Here is the verse:

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Here is the terrifying reason for his actions:

2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

For those who still enjoy living in sin, I warn them to check their doctrine as it is probably false and they will probably be damned.

that is what I believe, because that is what it says and God has not led me to believe otherwise.

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

It states God will send them a delusion. God does not lie and cannot lie but he created liars to do that for him. Nothing is impossible with God.

Here is the verse:

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Here is the terrifying reason for his actions:

2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

For those who still enjoy living in sin, I warn them to check their doctrine as it is probably false and they will probably be damned.

that is what I believe, because that is what it says and God has not led me to believe otherwise.

Gary

Oh, a delusion, thank-you for pointing the verse out.

If I understand you right, the people without supporting references lose out because they made a weak case. I would think the idea of saying anything here is to make a strong case and persuade others. If they don't know that or don't know why they are here, don't waste any energy on them.

I'm interplanner on Skype all weekend for this and many other topics, but especially the Islamic issues mentioned in other posts.

--Inter

No, that is not what this thread is about.

I really do know the answer to everything. Jesus. Im always right about that fact because I AM said so. :D

So if someone asks you an historical question to better understand a text you say "Jesus" ?

Sorry, I guess I understand what you are prob saying here, but....uh uh...we are supposed to study the scriptures in part to

give others an answer for the hope we have IN Jesus...scripture tells us to do so...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

@Sevenseas lighten up. Do you need me to post scripture to point out that people with a "because I said so" attitude have a chip on their shoulder? I was making light of the matter. You know haha. Even though Jesus is the answer to everything just knowing isnt following His teaching. I was mocking facetiously the character trait itself.

@Sevenseas lighten up. Do you need me to post scripture to point out that people with a "because I said so" attitude have a chip on their shoulder? I was making light of the matter. You know haha. Even though Jesus is the answer to everything just knowing isnt following His teaching. I was mocking facetiously the character trait itself.

LOL! Why do you tell me lighten up? Aren't YOU assuming something by telling me that?

We can all assume that people who post flippantly to others (not meaning you here, but reffering to the OP) have a chip on their shoulders,

BUT, I can assure you, having dealt with the problem in real life (not just words in a forum) that is NOT always the case...some people have

some very bad teaching under the belt and are AFRIAD, yes, that is right, AFRAID, of changing because it will stir up their very

comfortable little world.

Actually, there are numerous reasons why a person might respond the way we have discussed in this thread.

I have a head on my shoulders. I understood what you were doing. But, do you realize that some people actually DO think exactly what you

posted?

I won't respond to anymore 'corrections' of what I post...but will be glad to discuss anything this thread is about. Thanks

Edited by sevenseas