• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

One Man's Quest to Be Penniless

http://gma.yahoo.com/going-without-money-hurt-economy-one-mans-quest-211049892--abc-news-topstories.html

What I found interesting is not how he is living, but how he and the news media are claiming that he is living out the gospel of Jesus. Yet nothing in there is about the need for Jesus as Savior, only Jesus as example of living without any money - ie the social justice gospel.

I read his blog too. This is how "real" Christianity is going to be perceived by the world. Ive seen and heard about many others like this guy. He combines many other religious beliefs into his version of Christianity and claims love is what saves, not Jesus.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Can understand wanting to seek some form of fulfillment...but the way this man is being idolized is really frightening.

Guest LadyC

well i have this theory that Jesus would have been perfectly happy to have a HOME if he had not been travelling constantly as part of His ministry. in fact, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm not mistaken, Jesus didn't live anything at all like this man is living... He didn't scavenge food from other people's garbage. He wasn't opposed to cleanliness (i.e. soap), and He didn't live in a cave.

no, Jesus travelled, He ministered constantly to the masses as well as to His apostles, He enjoyed the generosity of dining in the homes of others as an invited guest, He even appreciated the generosity of others to give Him a place to sleep.... and maybe they didn't use soap, but He certainly showed His appreciation when getting anointed with oils and perfumes.

furthermore, this holier-than-thou pseudo-christian (maybe i shouldn't say pseudo, but his lifestyle is very NOT Christ-like in the sense that he's trying to make it out to be), doesn't work? what does the Bible say about that? i think scripture is pretty clear that a man must work. ok, so this guy isn't needing work to provide for himself, but something struck me in what the guy said..

professed Christians rarely followed the teachings of Jesus--namely the Sermon on the Mount, namely giving up possessions, living beyond credit and debt--freely giving and freely taking-

somehow i just don't think Jesus meant "don't work, don't earn a paycheck, instead FREELY TAKE from your neighbor's garbage can"...

maybe i'm being judgmental but i think the guy is living selfishly and trying to get his 15 minutes of fame that way. He does his ministry via a blog. nice. what about getting out there and talking to people face to face about what Jesus has done for them?

oh wait, bad idea. He doesn't invest money in toothpaste or toothbrushes. i wouldn't want him in MY face! :taped:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I met a British guy in church a few months ago. He had given up everything to travel and preach the word. He owns nothing but what he carries.

He lives in tribal villages in one of the most depressed areas of our country, and just preaches the word.

He is a solid christian with no airs and graces, and is a humble man.

When I asked him how he survives, he told me that every time he has been in need of something, God has provided.

He travels on faith alone.

So this other nut aside, there are people out there that live the word. I was humbled by his faith and his commitment.

I met a British guy in church a few months ago. He had given up everything to travel and preach the word. He owns nothing but what he carries.

He lives in tribal villages in one of the most depressed areas of our country, and just preaches the word.

When I asked him how he survives, he told me that every time he has been in need of something, God has provided.

So this other nut aside, there are people out there that live the word. I was humbled by his faith and his commitment.

And there is the difference. Its not that he is living poor. It is that he is bringing the gospel of Jesus to others.

The man in the article is claiming the gospel is to live poor.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

well i have this theory that Jesus would have been perfectly happy to have a HOME if he had not been travelling constantly as part of His ministry. in fact, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm not mistaken, Jesus didn't live anything at all like this man is living... He didn't scavenge food from other people's garbage. He wasn't opposed to cleanliness (i.e. soap), and He didn't live in a cave.

no, Jesus travelled, He ministered constantly to the masses as well as to His apostles, He enjoyed the generosity of dining in the homes of others as an invited guest, He even appreciated the generosity of others to give Him a place to sleep.... and maybe they didn't use soap, but He certainly showed His appreciation when getting anointed with oils and perfumes.

furthermore, this holier-than-thou pseudo-christian (maybe i shouldn't say pseudo, but his lifestyle is very NOT Christ-like in the sense that he's trying to make it out to be), doesn't work? what does the Bible say about that? i think scripture is pretty clear that a man must work. ok, so this guy isn't needing work to provide for himself, but something struck me in what the guy said..

professed Christians rarely followed the teachings of Jesus--namely the Sermon on the Mount, namely giving up possessions, living beyond credit and debt--freely giving and freely taking-

somehow i just don't think Jesus meant "don't work, don't earn a paycheck, instead FREELY TAKE from your neighbor's garbage can"...

maybe i'm being judgmental but i think the guy is living selfishly and trying to get his 15 minutes of fame that way. He does his ministry via a blog. nice. what about getting out there and talking to people face to face about what Jesus has done for them?

oh wait, bad idea. He doesn't invest money in toothpaste or toothbrushes. i wouldn't want him in MY face! :taped:

I wonder how he blogs? noidea.gif

Somewhere I read that he goes to the local library to blog. Im curious how he does that since libraries require an address and telephone number to prove residency in order to use their computers.

Also public lands do not permit one to take over and camp as he does. So he is breaking the law this way.

If he really wants to live this way, its his choice. But to claim this is what Jesus wants for people, that it is the gospel message ... is flat out wrong.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Beautiful wub.gif

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Takes everything to give up everything.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

I wonder how he blogs? noidea.gif

One can go to a library with a guest pass or library card and get on computers for an hour or so at a time. It was what I did to sell Avon online before I got one at home.