IGNORED

Navy SEAL of God? Are Christians suppose to be pacifistic?

steven84

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

xero, I believe I am getting a clearer picture of what you are saying and believe I would need time to meditate on the concept to come to any kind of a conclusion on the matter. It is very obvious that God has put a lot in the details.

Gary

I understand Gary and I appreciate that you have taken the time to consider all of this. Ive found many people have limits to how much they are willing to know about the reality of the beasts. For many it seems they prefer the beasts were just symbols of mental defect, philosophical abstractions, just ideas, but when it gets real they run for the hills.

Like I said Im not trying to be alarming but I have this feeling that I cant shake that the noose is tightening and theres preparations being made by the Holy Spirit to strengthen and reinforce our armor while sharpening the sword of the Word.

I am willing but just without understanding. God has been focusing me on other matters. It is quite up to him what he will lead me to know and what he will keep from me. Having control over who gets what knowledge and when is a part of his sovereign rule as he works all things to the counsel of his own will.

Gary

Just wondering, do you believe the US is a "Christian Nation?"

Your position on this question is foundational to how you view the military in light of the Gospel.

Please explain.

Do you believe that the USA is a Christian Nation?

LT

No.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

David was a general, and killed his "thousands".

He was also the "apple of God's eye"

Have you ever read the reason that God gave David as to why he would not be allowed to build the Temple?

1 Chron 22

I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the Lord my God. 8 But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus certainly told his disciples to bring a sword along with them and protecting themselves was OK.

Be blessed.

Here is one reason that discussions like this are so difficult...taking a verse out of context without the slightest idea of what it is about.

Jesus said did not say protecting themselves was Ok.

The main clue that we have here that Jesus did not meant to be taken literally, i.e. everyone should by a sword, is when two swords are shown and Jesus says, "Enough."

The context is the fulfillment of Scripture that he would be reckoned as a criminal. The 'enough' can be taken one of two ways. Two swords are sufficient for him to be charged as a criminal or as the NIGTC and others point out, it may be a rebuke. "enough of this" to his disciples for again not understanding him.

"... The command to buy a sword leads directly into Jesus’ concern with the fulfillment of the Scripture saying that he would be considered a dangerous criminal – the charge brought against him which led to the Roman crucifixion. This “pro-sword” argument’s absurdity displays itself in the incident’s conclusion. The disciples produce two swords and Jesus replies, “it is enough!” This reply’s wording, especially in the New English Bible, implies this “enough” may have been wholly or partially a rebuke to his disciples for again not understanding his meaning. [so also the New International Greek Testament Commentary] obviously they did not understand when later in the garden the probability arises that it was one of these swords which was defensively raised. This instrument draws blood. The wielder incurs Jesus’ rebuke. Looking at the life of this swordsman, you will never find any indication he ever desired to pick up his weapon again. As for the sufficiency of two swords, this makes it obvious that Jesus really did not mean that all who had no sword should purchase one. From whichever angle we approach this passage, no support for a militaristic position..."

from http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

The faculty blog of Eternity Bible College just did an excellent 8 part series on Christians and Violence. It is a model for all of us to follow when discussing hard subjects.

http://facultyblog.eternitybiblecollege.com/2012/05/25/the-end-of-christians-and-violence/

Edited by shodan

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Just wondering, do you believe the US is a "Christian Nation?"

Your position on this question is foundational to how you view the military in light of the Gospel.

Please explain.

Do you believe that the USA is a Christian Nation?

LT

No.

Hi man, sorry for the delay in getting back.

I have found through talking to "church goers" that if they believe that the US is a christian nation they almost invariably think that it is OK to use force in almost all circumstances of defense of the country. Those that do not believe that the US is a Christian nation are split on the use of force for various reasons.

Contrary to the popular opinion of the Christian nation of the USA, which was much more prevalent before the abortion era, the US was not started as a move to gain religious freedom but economic freedom. Yes many came here before the revolution to seek freedom of religion, but the impetus of the revolution was economic and not religious.

LT

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I am serving our country in the US Air Force. We may have immoral leaders running our military, but to blame the servicemember for that, or question their devotion to Christian living is unjust. If you are worried about how our military is used, then vote for God Fearing, Moral, Christian Leaders.

What if the day comes where our leaders order our military to fire on our countrymen? Who do you want on the other end of the gun, Christians/Jews, or "all others?"

Maybe some of us Christians joined the military to protect you from a tyrannical government.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

I am serving our country in the US Air Force. We may have immoral leaders running our military, but to blame the servicemember for that, or question their devotion to Christian living is unjust. If you are worried about how our military is used, then vote for God Fearing, Moral, Christian Leaders.

Thank-you for your service! For our country and our God.

Dennis.....I have the munchies for some Kim Chi..I did TDY at JSA, back in 1976 after the JSF commany commander was killed, by North Korean guards.

I could send you some Kim Chi, but I don't know how fresh it will be by the time it gets to you.

Old Shep, thank you, I take great pride in serving in the military. I also feel that I have a duty to protect the country while the rest of you go about your ministry in peace and security. After I finish my career honorably, I will go about the Lord's business. I will let Him decide if my service was pleasing to Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

I could send you some Kim Chi, but I don't know how fresh it will be by the time it gets to you.

It only gets better with Age! We have a Korean Store in Portland, Maine....I can pick up a Gallon in the morning, but, it is not as tasty as the stuff I got from the ROKA White Horse Unit.