IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/29/1963

I think an important thing to remember is not WHAT words are being used. There isn't a biblical dictionary of swear words. Just as with a weapon, it's not that the weapon itself is bad, it's HOW it's used. So if i were to call a woman a COW, of course cow isn't a swear word, but I'm USING that word to insult her, and bring pain, NOT to uplift her or build her up, therefore, that constitutes swearing and unwholesome talk, and therein likes the crime. There are words, like the f-bomb, that unfortunately don't really have any application other than unwholesome talk or insults, so it's pretty safe to say that'd be in the dictionary, if there were one. Any word can be a curse if it's used right, and I think the focus in all these verses is not the specific words, it's the act of cursing, using whatever instrument you so choose.

I tend to agree with you. In fact I 100% agree with you about any word can be used badly. But...if the swear words of our society have been set out, stipulated as such, then we as Christians should avoid them. If society as a whole, has deemed them unwholesome words, then we should too. :)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

I think an important thing to remember is not WHAT words are being used. There isn't a biblical dictionary of swear words. Just as with a weapon, it's not that the weapon itself is bad, it's HOW it's used. So if i were to call a woman a COW, of course cow isn't a swear word, but I'm USING that word to insult her, and bring pain, NOT to uplift her or build her up, therefore, that constitutes swearing and unwholesome talk, and therein likes the crime. There are words, like the f-bomb, that unfortunately don't really have any application other than unwholesome talk or insults, so it's pretty safe to say that'd be in the dictionary, if there were one. Any word can be a curse if it's used right, and I think the focus in all these verses is not the specific words, it's the act of cursing, using whatever instrument you so choose.

I tend to agree with you. In fact I 100% agree with you about any word can be used badly. But...if the swear words of our society have been set out, stipulated as such, then we as Christians should avoid them. If society as a whole, has deemed them unwholesome words, then we should too. :)

I agree with that to a degree. I think a lot of modern Christians problems stem from "Society as a whole has deemed...". In the world, not of it I believe you said. While the majority of people will say that the F word or the C word are probably the equivalent of verbal nuclear bombs (and they're right) that doesn't necessarily mean we should avoid them simply because society says they're wrong and we agree. God says the use of words for the wrong purposes is not a good thing. Lots about that in James. Should we avoid them? Absolutely yes! But avoid them because of the reasons God told us to avoid them, and focus on that more than anything, more than society's supposed aversion to them. Society is what's contributing to the wicked state the world is in.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

But as Christians, we are to be different from the world. Honestly, can you see a Christian telling an unbeliever they need ....

That's so absurd, it's funny!

• Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

Before I was saved ... I remember saying ... I swear to God, to prove I was not telling a lie.

Now , I will say this to prove I was telling the truth... " In the name of Jesus , what I am telling you is true."

I am being honest here. LOL

I agree with that to a degree. I think a lot of modern Christians problems stem from "Society as a whole has deemed...". In the world, not of it I believe you said. While the majority of people will say that the F word or the C word are probably the equivalent of verbal nuclear bombs (and they're right) that doesn't necessarily mean we should avoid them simply because society says they're wrong and we agree. God says the use of words for the wrong purposes is not a good thing. Lots about that in James. Should we avoid them? Absolutely yes! But avoid them because of the reasons God told us to avoid them, and focus on that more than anything, more than society's supposed aversion to them. Society is what's contributing to the wicked state the world is in.

Well said. :)

Before I was saved ... I remember saying ... I swear to God, to prove I was not telling a lie.

Now , I will say this to prove I was telling the truth... " In the name of Jesus , what I am telling you is true."

I am being honest here. LOL

Actually, that's pretty good. People know you're a Christian, so by confessing Christ as your witness, they may be more likely to accept what you say. :)

But as Christians, we are to be different from the world. Honestly, can you see a Christian telling an unbeliever they need ....

That's so absurd, it's funny!

It is absurd. And it is funny. And it did happen. Several times. :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Speaking as one who has had to learn to NOT swear......it's hard but doable. Once I really started listening to others talking that way, I realized how offensive it really is. If you call yourself a Christian, and choose to honor Him, you don't do it by using crude language referencing bodily functions or waste. I believe that a person can be a believer even though they swear like a sailor but......God cannot be pleased hearing that. And He DOES hear it. JMHO.......

Speaking as one who has had to learn to NOT swear......it's hard but doable. Once I really started listening to others talking that way, I realized how offensive it really is. If you call yourself a Christian, and choose to honor Him, you don't do it by using crude language referencing bodily functions or waste. I believe that a person can be a believer even though they swear like a sailor but......God cannot be pleased hearing that. And He DOES hear it. JMHO.......

Absolutely. :)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

I totally know where you're coming from. I catch myself doing it in fits of anger or impatience and when I think back on it a few minutes later it's probably the dumbest sound in the world, haha. But it annoys me to hear other people do it too, it's irritating. I know I'm not entitled to feel that way because I'm guilty of it myself (“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3), but it serves as a reminder to myself what a bafoon I sound like using that language. Long hard road, to be sure, but I've definitely improved, and I'm hoping I can beat it all together one day.