IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Now I will admit that the term "brood of vipers" isn't common here in the USA, here in the USA it would SOB's.

Good point. Is SOB really cursing someone (though I am sure it is used to do such today), or is it defining them as Jesus did when he called others brood of vipers? An SOB is defining a person to be the son of a female dog, which is to say the son of one who is not of Gods people. A brood of vipers speaks that of the children of devils or serpents doesn't it? It is actually Jesus speaking truth in love and not name calling. If they believed him they would have turned and be saved but they did not. I believe it is all in delivery and intent of the heart. The bible specifically uses wording today that is considered cursing such as Heb 12:8, to refer to those born out of wedlock and illegitimate.

Gary

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

I make no effort at all to avoid profanities in any venues that allow them. I make free and frequent use f-bombs and occasionally worse. When I was a baby Xian, I did make some effort to refrain from such speech because other Xians told me I should, not because of any conviction of conscience. But I eventually came to realize that most of their Biblical proof-texts were tenuous at best, and my conscience does not convict me to the contrary.

I do make some effort (not always successfully) to avoid directly "cursing" people. I find most of the Biblical injunctions to relate to that, which makes sense, because doing so is a violation of the basic Commandment to "love your neighbor."

I also make some effort (again not always successfully) to avoid overly casual use of "God." I do not, FTR, consider *** edited *** to be "taking the LORD's name in vain." OTC, I believe it is those who easily claim, "God told me to tell you...," who are taking the LORD's name in vain by appropriating His authority for their own spiritual flatulence.

Christian or not - I view habitual potty mouths as vulgar, uncivilized, and not very intelligent. More intelligent and civilized people make better choices in the language that they use most of the time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Now I will admit that the term "brood of vipers" isn't common here in the USA, here in the USA it would SOB's.

Good point. Is SOB really cursing someone (though I am sure it is used to do such today), or is it defining them as Jesus did when he called others brood of vipers? An SOB is defining a person to be the son of a female dog, which is to say the son of one who is not of Gods people. A brood of vipers speaks that of the children of devils or serpents doesn't it? It is actually Jesus speaking truth in love and not name calling. If they believed him they would have turned and be saved but they did not. I believe it is all in delivery and intent of the heart. The bible specifically uses wording today that is considered cursing such as Heb 12:8, to refer to those born out of wedlock and illegitimate.

Gary

That is an interesting opinion, but if someone were to call me a brood (son) of a viper, I don't think I could "feel the love" in that statement.

I realize that certain conditions like anger or hitting your thumb with a hammer can cause a person to swear like a drunken sailor and I am guilty of it myself. What really gets me is when somebody swears like they don't even realize their swearing, like it is their normal vocabulary. I also think some people swear (like teenagers) to hide their weaknesses.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Gary

That is an interesting opinion, but if someone were to call me a brood (son) of a viper, I don't think I could "feel the love" in that statement.

I realize that certain conditions like anger or hitting your thumb with a hammer can cause a person to swear like a drunken sailor and I am guilty of it myself. What really gets me is when somebody swears like they don't even realize their swearing, like it is their normal vocabulary. I also think some people swear (like teenagers) to hide their weaknesses.

Have you considered that we don't know with what inflection Jesus spoke his words? There is a huge difference in the tone and temperament of the individual speaking and the impact of the words spoken. Jesus embodied the whole of the fruit of the spirit always, which is what made him different than everyone he came in contact with. He kept his cool when he was angry because of his patience. Each of us is left to our own when it comes to trying to envision his demeanor when certain things were said or done by him. There are some things we just don't know.

Outside influences such as peoples words or hitting oneself with a hammer have no certain effect upon an individual. They do not cause the person to do anything. The person does what they do because of who they are inside. I used to swear like a drunken sailor in either event. I used to pick things up and throw them at people when they disturbed me by their behavior. By the grace of God I have been changed inside and no longer do these things. Praise and glory to God as I wasn't capable of change. What I did was continue to seek God in his word and submit myself to being washed inside by it. My greatest conviction came when I saw Jesus being beaten, tormented and ridiculed but hold his peace. And then when he finally spoke he merely asked forgiveness for his tormentors. I understood that the reaction is based upon the person and not the outside influences. A bruised reed he didn't break. I wanted what he has and I was left without excuse for who I was.

The proof? A few years ago I was walking down the isle at work and a man came up behind me in a cushman (electric car) and blew the horn while he was directly behind me. I freaked out. I was filled with fear and indignation instantly. I had some steel gauges in my hand that I used to measure product with and I violently threw them at the back of the seat the man was sitting in. I got a week of unpaid leave for my trouble while the other man had to walk for six months. Fast forward a couple years. I am standing at a machine and a man comes up behind me with a 2x4. He places one end under his foot and the other in his hand. He releases the hand and sends the 2x4 crashing against the ground. The noise was loud. I think I jumped a bit. Then I turned to the man who did it and in a calm rational voice asked "Was that really necessary?" then I turned back to the fella I was conversing with and continued the conversation. I wasn't angry. I wasn't scared stiff. I wasn't really affected. It is not who I am used to being.

This change has bore fruit in many areas of my life. A different man at work knows that I work to know God and follow the bible and was continually bad mouthing me as he worked one machine over from me. Another Christian who worked acrossed the isle from us heard his continual rants he went on with a loud voice and one day came over to me and asked me how I deal with it. He asked me how I can continue to openly preach Christ and his righteousness through all of the ridicule. My answer was simple. I must love the man though he be my enemy. I know what his current end is and I believe that I have an opportunity to effect change in his life just as Jesus did the thief on the cross. Instead of returning any of his vile comments back at him, I went up and placed a dollar bill on his bench and told him that I would like to buy him a cup of coffee. I also asked if I could buy him dinner at Cracker Barrel sometime so we could talk about the bible and his eternal destiny.

Life is about being conformed to the image of Christ so that I am at peace with both God and man in my innermost being. The bible says let no corrupt communication proceed out of our mouths. I believe that means that I am to be in control of all the words coming out of my mouth at all times. For a long while, I could not do that. But somewhere along the line I began to notice that God had changed me through the sanctification process of the Holy Spirit and his word. Praise be to God. He loved me enough not to leave me like he found me, wretched, miserable, blind and naked. He loves me enough not to leave me as I am today too. He will finish the work he has began in me and mold me into a vessel of honor meet for my masters use. We serve a great God.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,Good Day

contact me with this email here

My name is Miss.lizzy I saw your profile today at and was moved and become interested in you, I will like you to send me an email to my address (lizzy.denis@yahoo.com) so that i can give you my pictures for you to know whom i am.

I believed we can move from here? Remember colour distance does not matter but LOVE matters allot in life). Reply me back with my email address(lizzy.denis@yahoo.com) hope to hear from you soon

yours Miss lizzy

Guest Norrin Radd

I come across so many Christians who have absolutely no problem with swearing. And I mean, swearing. Since when is it okay to let loose with a tirade of nasty language? Or even the "f" word. I had lunch with a woman calling herself a Christian, who says she believes there is nothing wrong with cussing. Or swearing. Even the "f" word is okay to her. I told her we are to be in the world but not of the world. Separate and called out, but that made no impression upon her at all. Her boyfriend has no trouble speaking with every second word being "f" this and "f" that, and then telling my other unsaved friend he needs Jesus. My friend later laughed and said they are no Christians.

There's at least one woman in my church who seems to believe that swearing is not an issue either. And though she doesn't use the "f" word, I find myself bothered by her language. I haven't said anything, and honestly not sure if I will. Perhaps these are signs of people falling away in the last days.

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or am I just being too "Christian".

It creates an appearance of evil.

First of all, it does not "create" an appearance of evil. The "appearance" is in the mind of the beholder. I do not believe profane language is evil (though in some contexts it is unseemly), so to me there is no such appearance.

Secondly, if you are referring to 1 Thess. 5:22, you might want to consider a few different translations, as well as the context of the verse.

I am not so sure that a word in and of itself is evil? There are some words that are called unclean or dirty that to me are just fine. The word bastard for instance, is used in the Bible. Then there is the word used to describe a female dog. That word is used all the time in dog shows, but is considered a curse word, and there are about 3 major uses for it. One is a female dog, one is a loose woman, and one is a hateful woman. Frankly, I am not personally bothered by either, but I don't use them. Why? Because of how it looks to others. The only thing I know is wrong is using God's name in vain. That is a clear violation of one of his Commandments, and I am bothered by anyone doing that.

I would suggest that Christians refrain from the use of curse words, because it harms our testimony.

That's a matter of opinion. Which harms our testimony more -- to use coarse language, or to be viewed as a bunch of stodgy weirdos *** edited ***?

I would say that using coarse language harms our testimony more. That is not even a hard question.

Really? IMO, to view it as "easy" is to take a simplistic, superficial view. If you *define* Xian as "someone who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't cuss, doesn't have tattoos, doesn't have long hair," then sure, doing any of those things harms your testimony -- among people who believe the way you do.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

What is Xian, what do you all mean by that?

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

2nd peter 2

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.

17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.

This bolded worrd is a no no in most public areas. just thought I would throw this into the mix and see whats said .

Maybe I'm missing something in my interpretation, but biblically, this was meant in a literal sense to describe the animal itself. A donkey, by definition, cannot speak, and is therefore DUMB. ASS is just another word for donkey, since that's what they were called. I'm not sure it's meant as a curse, being that those words have a normal, mundane definition, where words like the f-bomb don't really have any...

Again, maybe I'm missing what you were going for with the insertion of this piece of scripture, and if so, definitely point me in the right direction. But I'm pretty sure it's just a descriptive phrase of reference.

You are right in what you say and i just thru this out because today it is considered a cuss word I have been called this many time for many mistakes Ive made and have heard it used as cussing many times.

I should have clarified y self. Sorry

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

theres a reason bad words are called bad words cause they are bad to use. There is no justifying cussing it is lazy and is not classy and using cuss words makes the cusser look immature and uneducated.

I quit cussing and my poor education stll shows itself on a regular basis

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Gary

There are some people so evil that if you called them an SOB, it would be an insult to the DOG. I have a female dog, she's quite a marvelous and loving creature.

Brood of vipers: bunch of snakes. Probably not a bad way to describe some. Personally, I prefer to use son of the devil to describe some people, after all Jesus did.

Bastard is not a curse word, it's a descriptive word. That said, it should be used in its proper context.