IGNORED

Dispensationalism

This is an article written by Jack Kelley

I’ve been answering questions from so many people for so long that I sometimes forget not everyone who comes to the site has read all of them. As a case in point, I recently answered a question about the flood where I said it was the second in a series of seven times where mankind would violate the terms of an agreement with God and bring judgment upon themselves. I didn’t think anymore about it until I received several questions from people asking what I was talking about and could I list the other six times. I realized they hadn’t read the several answers I have posted over the years on the theological system I follow called dispensationalism.

What Is Dispensationalism?

Dispensationalism is a method for interpreting the Bible. The Greek word from which we get dispensation appears only 7 times in the New Testament and is only translated as such in four of those, all by Paul and all in the King James (1 Cor. 9:17, Ephes. 1:10, Ephes. 3:2, Colossians 1:25). Other meanings of this word are stewardship, administration, and economy.

What Do Dispensationalists Believe?

A dispensationalist believes that throughout history God has dealt with humanity in different ways at different times as part of the process of revealing His character and His plan for mankind, and calls these different periods dispensations.

For example, while salvation has always been by faith, the way to salvation through much of the Old Testament was through Israel and required obedience to the Law as well. That is not the case during the Church Age. And while eternal security is promised to the Church, it was not promised to Israel. Neither was the Holy Spirit sealed within Old Testament believers as is the case with believers in the Church (Ephes. 1:13-14). Therefore the way God dealt with Israel in the Old Testament took place during a different dispensation than His dealings with the Church in the New Testament. Get the idea?

This is one of the reasons I’ve given in support of my position that Eternal Security won’t be available to post rapture believers. The last seven years before the Lord’s return (Daniel’s 70th Week) will be a time when God deals primarily with Israel again, as He did in the Old Testament. He promised Israel these seven years and has yet to provide them. Daniel 9:24-27 explains this and tells us a temple will be built in Israel during that time, and that animal sacrifices will once again be offered on its altar. While these things were required during Old Testament times they would be both unnecessary and undesirable now unless the Church Age first comes to an end, something that will happen with the rapture. This is why so many dispensationalists believe the rapture will happen before Daniel’s 70th Week begins.

Some say that dispensationalism is a relatively modern system of theology first proposed by John Nelson Darby in the mid 1800′s. But evidence that the early church believed in the principles of dispensationalism can be found in the 2nd Century writings of Justin Martyr and Irenaeus. Justin Martyr saw four distinct periods (dispensations) and gave them the names of the principle players, Adam to Abraham; Abraham to Moses; Moses to Christ; and Christ to Eternity. Irenaeus also saw four periods, from the Creation to the Flood, from the Flood to the Law, from the Law to the Gospel, and from the Gospel to Eternity.

More recently most scholars have settled on seven dispensations. Each one has begun with an agreement between God and man that man has subsequently broken, causing the agreement to fail and requiring a judgment. Here are the seven dispensations in chronological order.

1) Innocence … Between the Creation and the Fall of Man in the Garden. God interacted freely and personally with Adam and Eve during this period. Then they broke the only rule He had given them (Genesis 3:11-13) and were expelled from the Garden. Sin entered the world.

2) Conscience … Between the Fall and the Flood, God allowed man’s conscience to govern his behavior without Divine interference. Because of the sin nature passed down from mankind’s first parents, the result was that “the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5). God pronounced judgment upon the world and destroyed all but 8 members of the human race in the Great Flood.

3) Human Government … from the Flood to Abraham. After the flood God told Noah to go forth and replenish the Earth (Genesis 9:7). Noah’s descendants disobeyed God’s commandment, setting about instead to build a great city and tower from which to study the stars (Genesis 11:4). God confused man’s language, causing them to stop building the tower, and scattered them through out the world (Genesis 11:8-9).

4) Promise … from Abraham to Moses. God promised Abraham a homeland for his descendants (Genesis 17:8) and a son for him and Sarah (Genesis 17:15-16). But they grew tired of waiting and produced a son on their own, who they named Ishmael (Genesis 16:1-2.15). When God’s promised son Isaac was born, Ishmael was sent away (Genesis 21:8-13) causing enmity between the Jews (descendants of Isaac) and Arabs (descendants of Ishmael) that continues to this day. After Mohammed, a descendant of Ishmael’s, founded Islam this enmity took on religious significance and became even more intense.

5) Law … from Moses to Jesus. God gave Moses the 10 Commandments and promised the Jews a life of peace and plenty in a Kingdom of their own if they obeyed (Exodus 19:5, Exodus 20:1-17). After repeated periods of disobedience which included rejecting their Messiah King, God withdrew His offer of the Kingdom and expelled them from their land (Matt. 21:43, Luke 19:41-44).

6) Grace … from Pentecost to the Rapture, the Church Age. No longer requiring righteousness through works, God granted a righteousness by grace through faith in the completed work of Christ to all who accept, whether Jew or Gentile (Romans 3:21-24). Most will not accept and will be punished through eternity.

Note: It’s important to realize that Grace didn’t replace Law, it just interrupted it. Law has another 7 years to run, called Daniel’s 70th Week (Daniel 9:24-27), which fills the time between the Rapture and the 2nd Coming. During this time all the nations to which Israel has been scattered will be completely destroyed and Israel will be disciplined in preparation for receiving the Kingdom (Jeremiah 30:4-11).

7) The Kingdom … the 1000 Year Reign of Christ that begins with the 2nd Coming. This time Israel will accept the Kingdom offer (Zechariah 12:10, Zechariah 14:8-9). Satan will be bound (Rev. 20:2), all unbelievers will be expelled from the planet (Matt. 25:41-46), and God will once again dwell in the midst of His people (Ezek. 43:6-7). You’d think man could finally live in a manner pleasing to God. But he can’t. With the exception of Israel, the world will rebel against God and His people. God will send fire to consume them all (Rev. 20:7-10).

What Is God’s Purpose In This?

I think the overarching purpose of these seven dispensations is to demonstrate that there are no conditions under which natural man can behave in a manner acceptable to God. Only the Church is able to do so and then only after being perfected in the rapture. This why Paul wrote that after the end of the Millennium when it comes time for Jesus to present the kingdom to the Father, He will first destroy all dominion, authority and power (1 Cor. 15:24). What that means is when we enter eternity neither mankind nor the angels will ever have the desire or ability to disobey God again. That’s why there isn’t an eighth dispensation called Eternity.

Two of the major changes that dispensationalism as we know it today brought upon the post reformation world were the return to a literal interpretation of Scripture, especially where it deals with prophecy, and the realization that there’s a distinct difference between Israel and the Church in the End Times. It’s the best tool I know of for determining the context of a passage and understanding who its intended recipients are. (Reform theology does not adhere to a literal interpretation of Scripture, treats end times prophecy as allegorical, and blurs the distinction between Israel and the Church to the point where some claim the Church has replaced Israel in God’s plan making Israel an unnecessary part of our times.)

Most dispensationalists believe in a pre-tribulation rapture followed by Daniel’s 70th week with its accompanying judgments and a literal Kingdom of God that will begin with the 2nd Coming and last for 1,000 years. During this time Israel will be God’s Kingdom on Earth while the Church will be God’s Kingdom in Heaven.

So this is what dispensationalists believe. It’s what I believe and is the theological foundation for all the articles and answers to be found on this site. This is why I said the Great Flood was the second in a series of seven times where mankind would violate the terms of an agreement with God and bring judgment upon themselves. Site

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Thats how I see it also. Good article

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/23/1986

It's broken down in a very great and easy way and I guess I never looked past that or that it had a term associated with it. Thanks for the post. I'll be looking more into it.
Edited by combat68w

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

What a joke. So-called post-rapture believers will have no security. God will simply let them hang in the breeze, working to obtain salvation by remaining faithful. Gee thanks LORD.

Animal sacrifices will be offered again. What an insult to Jesus who gave His blood as a once for all sacrifice.

Christ is building a temple out of Believers, why is a literal temple necessary?

(Reform theology does not adhere to a literal interpretation of Scripture, treats end times prophecy as allegorical, and blurs the distinction between Israel and the Church to the point where some claim the Church has replaced Israel in God’s plan making Israel an unnecessary part of our times.) This is a bunch of stuff. Reform teaching adheres to literal understandings where it is to be understood literally, but also understands that there is figurative and allegorical language in Scripture as well.

Dispensationalism as explained in this article is not Biblical.

1. Innocence: Adam was instructed by God not to do something. Adam disobeyed. How then was he innocent? Had he received no instruction and THEN sinned, he'd be innocent. This 'dispensation' should be rather termed IGNORANCE. Adam received instruction and ignored it.

2. Conscience: Between the Fall and the Flood, God allowed man’s conscience to govern his behavior without Divine interference? Really...interference? God gave up His Sovereignty to man, just like that? Come ON people. You KNOW better. God didn't allow that at all. What He very obviously did was allow man's sin to play out to its logical conclusion as an example.

Rom 1:20-on

For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; [they are] whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

So then, rather than conscience, it looks (according to what Paul wrote,) like the age of Reprobacy, God withdrawing his Hand to let men see what the world would be like without God. The afore described actions show not conscience, but rather LACK of conscience.

3. Human government? Noah didn't invent the instructions in Genesis 9:6, God did. He gave them to Noah to govern man. The age of Structure.

4. Promise. The promise came in Genesis 3 when God promised that the Seed of the Woman would crush the head of the serpent. The promise is one of Redemption for God's chosen. Abraham was chosen. Abraham's seed is in Christ. If anyone would have the promise, he or she must obtain it through Christ.

5. Law. Ahhh Law. Why Law? BECAUSE OF SIN! It is the Law that shows us our sin, as it is written: "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed."

6. Grace. It is written: For the law was given through Moses, [but] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (Jn 1:17)

The article's author writes: from Pentecost to the Rapture, the Church Age. No longer requiring righteousness through works, God granted a righteousness by grace through faith in the completed work of Christ to all who accept, whether Jew or Gentile (Romans 3:21-24). Most will not accept and will be punished through eternity.

Note: It’s important to realize that Grace didn’t replace Law, it just interrupted it. Law has another 7 years to run, called Daniel’s 70th Week

Uhm excuse me...WHEN DID GOD EVER REQUIRE RIGHTEOUSNESS BY WORKS? This man has obviously never read Galatians with any understanding. Gal 3:11

But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God [is] evident, for "the just shall live by faith."

There has never been righteousness by works. Grace never interrupted law either. Law was there strictly to tutor man until Christ, to bring us TO Christ (Gal 3:24).

As for the whole crock of bull about Pentecost to the rapture, since the rapture occurs on the Last Day (I Cor 15, John 6, I Thess 4) the "Church Age" must be in existence until the Last Day. BUT...since Rev 20 strictly states that the thousand years ends and is replaced by a short period of War with Satan and his human minions (Gog and magog), even that is incorrect. BTW, there is no mention of a 'Church Age' in Scripture, only a thousand year period of reign in which Christ rules over earth (from heaven, see Acts 3:21).

Furthermore, the idea of a time gap between the 69th and 70th week of Daniel is ludicrous. God works in history, he doesn't use a time machine or any other method to skip over periods of time. That's science-fiction, not Scripture.

7. The Kingdom: The Kingdom came at the First Advent. How do I know? Jesus said so.

Luke 17:20-21

Mt 12:28

The kingdom of God doesn't come with observation. It's in the heart.

The thousand years is NOT the Kingdom. The thousand years is reign from heaven, over earth, filling the earth WITH the Kingdom. (Isa. 2, Dan 2, Dan 7).

The Kingdom was BEFORE the Second Coming. The Reign of the Kingdom was made possible when the types and shadows were destroyed. NO animal sacrifices needed, the Sacrifice was here. No new temple needed, the Temple is being built: From Believers (I Peter 2:5, from Exodus)

Dispensationalism is an incorrect theology which ignores plain Scriptures.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

This why Paul wrote that after the end of the Millennium when it comes time for Jesus to present the kingdom to the Father, He will first destroy all dominion, authority and power (1 Cor. 15:24).

I like what it says in the KJ Bible ...when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

"Put down", Satan is the destroyer. :emot-nod:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

What a joke. So-called post-rapture believers will have no security. God will simply let them hang in the breeze, working to obtain salvation by remaining faithful. Gee thanks LORD.

Animal sacrifices will be offered again. What an insult to Jesus who gave His blood as a once for all sacrifice.

Christ is building a temple out of Believers, why is a literal temple necessary?

(Reform theology does not adhere to a literal interpretation of Scripture, treats end times prophecy as allegorical, and blurs the distinction between Israel and the Church to the point where some claim the Church has replaced Israel in God’s plan making Israel an unnecessary part of our times.) This is a bunch of stuff. Reform teaching adheres to literal understandings where it is to be understood literally, but also understands that there is figurative and allegorical language in Scripture as well.

1. Innocence: Adam was instructed by God not to do something. Adam disobeyed. How then was he innocent? Had he received no instruction and THEN sinned, he'd be innocent. This 'dispensation' should be rather termed IGNORANCE. Adam received instruction and ignored it.

2. Conscience: Between the Fall and the Flood, God allowed man’s conscience to govern his behavior without Divine interference? Really...interference? God gave up His Sovereignty to man, just like that? Come ON people. You KNOW better. God didn't allow that at all. What He very obviously did was allow man's sin to play out to its logical conclusion as an example.

For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; [they are] whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

So then, rather than conscience, it looks (according to what Paul wrote,) like the age of Reprobacy, God withdrawing his Hand to let men see what the world would be like without God. The afore described actions show not conscience, but rather LACK of conscience.

3. Human government? Noah didn't invent the instructions in Genesis 9:6, God did. He gave them to Noah to govern man. The age of Structure.

4. Promise. The promise came in Genesis 3 when God promised that the Seed of the Woman would crush the head of the serpent. The promise is one of Redemption for God's chosen. Abraham was chosen. Abraham's seed is in Christ. If anyone would have the promise, he or she must obtain it through Christ.

5. Law. Ahhh Law. Why Law? BECAUSE OF SIN! It is the Law that shows us our sin, as it is written: "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed."

6. Grace. It is written: For the law was given through Moses, [but] grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (Jn 1:17)

The article's author writes: from Pentecost to the Rapture, the Church Age. No longer requiring righteousness through works, God granted a righteousness by grace through faith in the completed work of Christ to all who accept, whether Jew or Gentile (Romans 3:21-24). Most will not accept and will be punished through eternity.

Note: It’s important to realize that Grace didn’t replace Law, it just interrupted it. Law has another 7 years to run, called Daniel’s 70th Week

Uhm excuse me...WHEN DID GOD EVER REQUIRE RIGHTEOUSNESS BY WORKS? This man has obviously never read Galatians with any understanding. Gal 3:11

But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God [is] evident, for "the just shall live by faith."

There has never been righteousness by works. Grace never interrupted law either. Law was there strictly to tutor man until Christ, to bring us TO Christ (Gal 3:24).

As for the whole crock of bull about Pentecost to the rapture, since the rapture occurs on the Last Day (I Cor 15, John 6, I Thess 4) the "Church Age" must be in existence until the Last Day. BUT...since Rev 20 strictly states that the thousand years ends and is replaced by a short period of War with Satan and his human minions (Gog and magog), even that is incorrect. BTW, there is no mention of a 'Church Age' in Scripture, only a thousand year period of reign in which Christ rules over earth (from heaven, see Acts 3:21).

Furthermore, the idea of a time gap between the 69th and 70th week of Daniel is ludicrous. God works in history, he doesn't use a time machine or any other method to skip over periods of time. That's science-fiction, not Scripture.

7. The Kingdom: The Kingdom came at the First Advent. How do I know? Jesus said so.

The thousand years is NOT the Kingdom. The thousand years is reign from heaven, over earth, filling the earth WITH the Kingdom. (Isa. 2, Dan 2, Dan 7).

The Kingdom was BEFORE the Second Coming. The Reign of the Kingdom was made possible when the types and shadows were destroyed. NO animal sacrifices needed, the Sacrifice was here. No new temple needed, the Temple is being built: From Believers (I Peter 2:5, from Exodus)

when the rapture occurs Jesus may very well take all believers not just the pre-tribbers. He is coming back for the ones that believe

in Him as the only way to heaven; just because a person is not sure if it is before or after the tribulation, i do not think that matters.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The age of innocence lasted less than a day. How can that be considered a dispensation? Adam never walked with God in the cool of the day in the garden, he was thrown out the very first day. At the end of the day man was instructed to go multiply and have dominion over the earth. They succeeded in multiplying but failed in dominion. God flooded the earth as a result of that failure. Dispensationalism lacks credibility in many areas and leads to error in teaching.

Gary

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

when the rapture occurs Jesus may very well take all believers not just the pre-tribbers. He is coming back for the ones that believe

in Him as the only way to heaven; just because a person is not sure if it is before or after the tribulation, i do not think that matters.

Technically, the only thing we need to know about eschatology is what the Early Church creeds said:

He comes from the right hand of the Father to judge the Quick (living) and the dead.

That said, when the truth of God is mishandled, it needs to be set straight. Dispensionalism as outlined in the above article twists the Scripture and gives a false hope. The Blessed Hope is not getting raptured before the tribulation; it is the resurrection.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

The age of innocence lasted less than a day. How can that be considered a dispensation? Adam never walked with God in the cool of the day in the garden, he was thrown out the very first day. At the end of the day man was instructed to go multiply and have dominion over the earth. They succeeded in multiplying but failed in dominion. God flooded the earth as a result of that failure. Dispensationalism lacks credibility in many areas and leads to error in teaching.

Gary

Gary, my brother, could you cited scripture for your 'one day paradise' hypothesis.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Gary

Gary, my brother, could you cited scripture for your 'one day paradise' hypothesis.

Gladly Monarchy, it isn't something that can be understood through a simple 'proof text' though, it must be seen within the context as it develops in the first three chapters of Genesis. Here is a post I did at another forum on the topic

After having a conversation about the events that took place in the garden of Eden and the first three chapters of Genesis, I was led to believe that the fall of man happened on day 6 of creation before God saw all that he had made and declared that it was very good.

It is all linked into what God said and to whom he said it. Beginning in Chapter one we find:

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

26 The decision to make man and give him dominion.

27 The finished creation of man both male and female.

28 The blessing to multiply, fill and subdue the earth.

Chapter 2 begins with verse 4 to say:

4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. 6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. 8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

This obviously is part of verse 27 from Chapter 1. As 26 is the decision to make man and 27 has the finished product of both Adam and Eve. The rest of chapter 2 must fit into this time frame then as well.

15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. 21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

At this point in the day God has made both Adam and Eve and given them of every tree in the garden to eat. And they were naked and not ashamed. Chapter 3 explains for us that they didn't originally know that they were naked as God asked Adam "Who told thee thou wast naked?". and so we can comfortably say that chapter 2 fits inside of chapter 1 verse 27.

Chapter 3: The fall.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

It isn't until after the fall that God gives the herb of the field to Adam as food. Keeping this in mind lets return to chapter one to see where it all fits into creation week.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

And we see that the addition of herb bearing seed is added after the blessing they were given to be fruitful, and multiply and fill the earth with dominion. So the fall has to be before verse 28 concluding that the fall happened on day 6 before the close of the day where God said:

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

So it was after the fall and sin and death had entered into the world that God saw everything he had made and it was very good. This seems wrong to me in so many ways but I can't seem to follow the logic of the scriptures otherwise. It seems God set everything into motion and has been busy perfecting his 'very good' creation by defining and destroying evil as he goes. God is light, there is no darkness in him at all. But that doesn't mean that evil was not part of his plan to refine creation for his son Jesus to rule and reign over eternally.

In Jesus Name,

Gary