asper

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Are all those speaking in tongues considered legit?

What percentage of the people that speak in tongues is actually from God do you think?

What sin is a person guilty of who doesn’t actually have the gift of tongues yet thinks that he/she does and goes about speaking in tongues?

Why is there so many different belief systems that speak in tongues?

I do not wish this topic to become a discussion on whether true tongues exist today but one that questions the validity of so many who claim this gift.

For the reference to so many of different belief systems see the link below.

http://www.dividedby...g/FD/sitnnc.htm

Who are the 'those' you mention? My experience is 90% are, but then again I don't worship at places that DON'T believe in 'tongues' and their legitimate uses within the church.

Have you documented this kind of person? How do you know that some speak in tongues that have never received the infilling of the Holy Spirit?

I only KNOW about Christian belief. What exactly do you KNOW?

I'm going to assume you are asking from a Christian perspective, as any other perspective would be pointless. Do you also question the validity of other people's salvation? I can't see this tact being very unproductive in fostering a better sense of Christian acceptance and tolerance.

I read the link you provided and it is full of unsupported assertions, from someone I have never personally heard of, or for whose credentials I can validate.

I do note the church you attend and have to ask myself, just exactly what is your motivation here? Do you accept that the speaking in tongues of the NT exists today and is relevant, or is it your intention to cause doubt as to it's current day applicability?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/15/1954

What percentage of the people that speak in tongues is actually from God do you think?

What sin is a person guilty of who doesn’t actually have the gift of tongues yet thinks that he/she does and goes about speaking in tongues?

I do not wish this topic to become a discussion on whether true tongues exist today but one that questions the validity of so many who claim this gift.

Who are the 'those' you mention? My experience is 90% are, but then again I don't worship at places that DON'T believe in 'tongues' and their legitimate uses within the church.

Have you documented this kind of person? How do you know that some speak in tongues that have never received the infilling of the Holy Spirit?

I'm going to assume you are asking from a Christian perspective, as any other perspective would be pointless. Do you also question the validity of other people's salvation? I can't see this tact being very unproductive in fostering a better sense of Christian acceptance and tolerance.

I read the link you provided and it is full of unsupported assertions, from someone I have never personally heard of, or for whose credentials I can validate.

I do note the church you attend and have to ask myself, just exactly what is your motivation here? Do you accept that the speaking in tongues of the NT exists today and is relevant, or is it your intention to cause doubt as to it's current day applicability?

Hi stan,

Interesting response.

I had left a link for a reference so you can either refute it with some facts or just have a fit..

The rest of your response really doesn’t say anything otherwise I would respond…

By the way, they were questions as indicated by the question marks.

Since I had a couple of remarks about the other link I decided to give another one.

I think the question is not “if tongues exist today” but the real questions is what in the world is going on here?

http://www.bible.ca/tongues-audio-video-documentation.htm#tacf

Hi stan,

Interesting response.

I had left a link for a reference so you can either refute it with some facts or just have a fit..

The rest of your response really doesn’t say anything otherwise I would respond…

By the way, they were questions as indicated by the question marks.

You have my response. I read the link and I told you I don't accept the assertions. I'm not going to debate someone else's argument.

Since I had a couple of remarks about the other link I decided to give another one.

I think the question is not “if tongues exist today” but the real questions is what in the world is going on here?

All this is, is Pentecostal bashing. You don't understand it so you bash it...just like the Pharisees did to Jesus.

All this is, is Pentecostal bashing. You don't understand it so you bash it...just like the Pharisees did to Jesus.

hi stan,

i am glad that i don't understand the actions in these videos.

btw i used to be a roman catholic charismatic and spoke in tongues... how does that sit with you?

hi stan,

i am glad that i don't understand the actions in these videos.

btw i used to be a roman catholic charismatic and spoke in tongues... how does that sit with you?

It kind of makes me feel rather sad for you, that you deny what the Holy Spirit was doing in you, if indeed He was.

Edited by Stan53

Guest Norrin Radd

Hi norin radd,

Been looking over some responses and ran across your reference to the following verses and something puzzled me.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Where is tongues mentioned in these verses?

It is not. But in 1 Cor. 14:14-15, "pray in tongues" seems to equal "pray with the spirit," and to stand in contrast to "pray with the mind." "Sing with the spirit" also stands in contrast to "sing with the mind," so it would seem to be referring to "singing in tongues."

In both Eph. 6:18 and Jude 1:20 we find reference to "praying in the spirit" or "praying in the Holy Spirit." The only other place I'm aware of such terminology is 1 Cor. 14, so it seems reasonable to me to believe it means the same thing in all three places, given the absence of clear evidence to the contrary.

I admit the "singing" one is more tenuous. In 1 Cor. 14, "spirit" is linked to "psallo" (to sing psalms), while in Eph. and Col., "psalms" stands alone, and "spiritual" is linked to "aoide" (odes). I still believe "spiritual odes" means "odes given by the Spirit, probably in tongues," but I won't defend that one as strongly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

btw i used to be a roman catholic charismatic

What are you now?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I consider it Spiritual gift bashing period.

People will say they do not believe in God because their is no proof.

However, those who are followers of Christ and are filled with the Holy Spirit have the witness of the Spirit

Well anyway.............can lead a horse to water...etc