• Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Seven Common Comments Non-Christians Make About Christians

By Thom S. Rainer , Christian Post Guest Columnist

September 15, 2012|4:35 pm

Over the past several years, my research teams and I have interviewed thousands of unchurched non-Christians. Among the more interesting insights I gleaned were those where the interviewees shared with me their perspectives of Christians.

In this article, I group the seven most common types of comments in order of frequency. I then follow that representative statement with a direct quote from a non-Christian. Read these comments and see if you learn some of the lessons I learned.

Read them here

~~~

Interested in hearing thoughts.

Interesting article.

My experience has been somewhat different in interacting with non-believers. Some of that is because I'm older, and work at a liberal university where the younger folks are indoctrinated against Christianity or are otherwise openly antagonistic. The other extreme seems to be varying degrees of indifference. Maybe some of that is the late teen tendency to rebel against everything, I don't really know on that. I do know that I've gotten vastly different reactions than the ones they talked about in the article. Those exist, but in my area they seem to be rare. Maybe its just a tough environment, because in my area people seem to avoid talking to one another on the street or on mass transit -- and if anyone tries they are greeted with open hostility.

well... the number one comment was about how christians seem to always be mad at the world and at each other.

really want my thoughts? my thoughts are that the ones who responded with that had probably visited some christian message boards.

but the fact that so many really were open to interaction with christians was an eye opener!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

That is an interesting article. I have met some of the type in the article and also the type Walla mentioned in his post. Just moved back to East Tn and I have to say that more people here (at least so far) are open to at least listen and ask questions than when I was in Florida.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

aweee...some of that ...the world is still talking through them . I am not guilty of some of those things . :halo:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Interesting article.

My experience has been somewhat different in interacting with non-believers. Some of that is because I'm older, and work at a liberal university where the younger folks are indoctrinated against Christianity or are otherwise openly antagonistic. The other extreme seems to be varying degrees of indifference. Maybe some of that is the late teen tendency to rebel against everything, I don't really know on that. I do know that I've gotten vastly different reactions than the ones they talked about in the article. Those exist, but in my area they seem to be rare.

Same in my case but they do speak to me on their own initiative.

Blessings

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I'm brand new here, but this topic caught my attention. For the past eight years, I've worked in children/youth ministry in NYC and now in Pennsylvania. It's interesting (and sad) to see how many young people are exhibiting indifference and hostility towards Christianity. We have a bus ministry that brings in kids from un-churched homes, and while some are very interested in learning about Jesus, many of them scorn or dismiss every truth we try to teach them. You can tell what they're learning at home. It's very frustrating. It also makes me wonder about the future or our country and the church.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

Seven Common Comments Non-Christians Make About Christians

By Thom S. Rainer , Christian Post Guest Columnist

September 15, 2012|4:35 pm

Over the past several years, my research teams and I have interviewed thousands of unchurched non-Christians. Among the more interesting insights I gleaned were those where the interviewees shared with me their perspectives of Christians.

In this article, I group the seven most common types of comments in order of frequency. I then follow that representative statement with a direct quote from a non-Christian. Read these comments and see if you learn some of the lessons I learned.

Read them here

~~~

Interested in hearing thoughts.

I'm glad that you posted this article. When Christians start behaving and treating unbelievers as though they are already condemned to Hell, the unbelievers can easily pick this up. As Christians, we are supposed to reach out to them, not avoid them by thinking they are already condemned to Hell. Christ said to go to everyone and preach the Gospel. Preaching with love is more effective than preaching with fire and brimstone.

The reason we take the gospel to them is because they are condemned to hell. We are trying to pull them out of the fire, by telling them that Jesus died for them on the cross, and that through faith in him, they can be saved. The hope of the sinner is salvation through faith in Christ. I believe in fire and brimstone preaching, because it is true. There is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun.

I don't take the Gospel to them using fire and brimstone because that will only turn them off. I tell them of God's love and mercy for all of us because that is the main reason He came to earth to save all of us. I speak of God's love and mercy for all of us. I speak of His death and resurrection and how He conquered death so that we all can have eternal life with Him in Heaven. I become like one of them in order to gain them to my side so that they would also come to know Christ and believe in Him. In all honesty, I am no better than the unbelivers who are sinners because I am also a sinner.

1 Corinthians 9:20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

It didn't turn me off. I accepted Jesus as a result of fire and brimstone messages about the return of the Lord. I was 17 at the time. There is no one size fits all method of reaching people.

One is to love God with their whole heart, soul, and strength.....not to fear Him. Our message is one of love. There is a time to preach fire and brimestone. I remember the time that the Pope ever preached fire and brimstone...it was mainly to the Mafia who gunned down priests and civilians who went against them. He told them that there is a Hell. That is a message for them to change their ways. One wins more converts using love.

Jesus didn't preach fire and brimstone to sinners.

We are to follow as what Jesus did.

Matthew 9: 11-13

11-And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples,

"Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners ?"

12-When Jesus heard that, He said to them, "Those who are well

have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

13-"But go and learn what this means :

"I desire mercy and not sacrifice."

"For I did not come to call the righteous ,

but sinners, to repentance."

I agree with you Selene ...for people don't want to hear fire and brimstone words toward them.

For it would sound like judgement words toward them.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you for posting this .. I found it quite interesting .. :)))

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

In the UK it's not so much the hostility.

Perhaps because open hostility would be impolite ,, it's just the indifference.

It's sort of like, "Well if that is what you want to do or believe , go for it."

This applies to all age groups in the UK in my opinion.