MorningGlory

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I am not taking the challenge though. I have dietary and physical needs that are enough of a challenge to me lol. Im not tossing in an unnecessary monetary restriction.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

MG. There is a part of being on food stamps that you will not experience. The look and attitude people have against you when they see you using food stamps. There were times I actually heard people in line behind me calling me names and saying I should get a job.

They did not know I was a recent widow with a part time job. Until one has suffered the humiliation associated with being on assistance one can not fully understand.

Apparently now they used cards. Back when I was on them they used coupon books which cashiers would lay out all across the check out lane so everyone could see.

http://thestir.cafem...ing_food_stamps

When Cindy Nerger of Warner Robins, Georgia was at a Kroger grocery store recently, she was allegedly told by the cashier that she owed $10, but she was sure she had enough money on her food stamps debit card to cover the purchases. After a little back and forth, a manager was brought over to resolve the issue. Eventually, he said, "Okay, just give it to her." And Nerger said, "See? I told you it was covered by food stamps." And then she claims that the manager fired back, saying: "Excuse me for working for a living and not relying on food stamps like you!"

Understandably, after the incident, Nerger broke down and started crying. See, even she, a person who uses food stamps, believes that some people who rely on them are "just lazy." But she's not one of them. In 2008, Nerger experienced kidney failure, and she's currently waiting on a transplant, but until then, she has to sit through dialysis for 12 hours a day, making it impossible for her to have a job. Her husband runs a carpentry business, but "if he doesn't get a call for a job, [they] don't have any extra money for the month."

I just don't understand how ANYONE could be so needlessly cruel to another human being. I wouldn't, COULDN'T, ever do such a thing.....it's appalling. KatyAnn, I haven't even started the challenge yet and I have already learned from what you posted. I'm sorry you had to endure such treatment....and delighted that you pulled yourself out of poverty. That's the American way. :mgbowtie:

i don't think anyone criticizes those who NEED to be on food stamps. the criticism is aimed at those who abuse the system.

Usually....but I've heard people I work with talk about people who use food stamps as if they are ALL lazy and want to stay on 'free stuff'. From what I can see so far one could do better by working at Burger King than relying on public assistance. IF Burger King will hire you; they don't want people who can get better jobs.

I am not taking the challenge though. I have dietary and physical needs that are enough of a challenge to me lol. Im not tossing in an unnecessary monetary restriction.

Totally understood, A.J. The kind of diet that food stamps would provide wouldn't work for a person with special dietary needs.

i have to agree with katy on that one. there is no shame in doing the food stamp challenge. there is a LOT of shame in actually using them. it's not as bad now, since the ebt card came along, because if people aren't watching carefully, they would never know...

until the cashier asks loudly "are you using your EBT card for this transaction?" or... "your EBT only covered x amount, how will you be paying for the balance?" (because you ring it all together, but the EBT card only pays for those items that are non-taxable.)

My brother worked at Walmart and they trained him to never say anything that would alert other customers to the fact that someone was using an ebt card. If it didn't cover the balance, he would tell them that they "exceeded their balance."

Well good for Walmart; there's no reason to humiliate anyone....ever.

Fried rice and risotto dishes are cheap. Curried fried rice is good. Toss in some chicken and vegies. Tomato soup with pasta in it (the norwegian way) can fill you up for cheap.

Duly noted, A.J. I could actually eat that and not whine and complain. :mgcheerful:

MG. There is a part of being on food stamps that you will not experience. The look and attitude people have against you when they see you using food stamps. There were times I actually heard people in line behind me calling me names and saying I should get a job.

They did not know I was a recent widow with a part time job. Until one has suffered the humiliation associated with being on assistance one can not fully understand.

Apparently now they used cards. Back when I was on them they used coupon books which cashiers would lay out all across the check out lane so everyone could see.

http://thestir.cafem...ing_food_stamps

When Cindy Nerger of Warner Robins, Georgia was at a Kroger grocery store recently, she was allegedly told by the cashier that she owed $10, but she was sure she had enough money on her food stamps debit card to cover the purchases. After a little back and forth, a manager was brought over to resolve the issue. Eventually, he said, "Okay, just give it to her." And Nerger said, "See? I told you it was covered by food stamps." And then she claims that the manager fired back, saying: "Excuse me for working for a living and not relying on food stamps like you!"

Understandably, after the incident, Nerger broke down and started crying. See, even she, a person who uses food stamps, believes that some people who rely on them are "just lazy." But she's not one of them. In 2008, Nerger experienced kidney failure, and she's currently waiting on a transplant, but until then, she has to sit through dialysis for 12 hours a day, making it impossible for her to have a job. Her husband runs a carpentry business, but "if he doesn't get a call for a job, [they] don't have any extra money for the month."

I just don't understand how ANYONE could be so needlessly cruel to another human being. I wouldn't, COULDN'T, ever do such a thing.....it's appalling. KatyAnn, I haven't even started the challenge yet and I have already learned from what you posted. I'm sorry you had to endure such treatment....and delighted that you pulled yourself out of poverty. That's the American way. :mgbowtie:

Sometimes It Almost Kills You

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Genesis 2:7

To See The Thoughtless

Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man. Psalms 71:4

And To Know You

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:10-11

Are Guilty Too

As L.C. pointed out the benefits paid by the states are different. Here is a link that shows all states' monthly benefit, per person. Looks like I will have to feed myself on $29.30 for the week. (Which will start this Thursday and end the following Wednesday)I will only be eating what I can buy with that amount; any food already in house is off limits. I'll sure be ready for Thanksgiving on the 22nd! :mgbowtie:

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?cat=1&ind=26

I'm going to do this and chronicle my experience as I go. I think I can do it. Anyone else up for this?

http://engage.jewish...t_item_KEY=9360

Gonna mean lots of pasta, Rice-a-Roni, peanut butter... and other food items of similar ilk.

And that's a challenge in itself; I'm a low carber and I don't eat that stuff as a rule. Oh well, it's only a week.