MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I'm going to do this and chronicle my experience as I go. I think I can do it. Anyone else up for this?

http://engage.jewishpublicaffairs.org/c/627/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=9360

like i said in the other thread, i, too, have done my time! i'll be watching with interest the results of your experiment, though!

i also pointed this out in the other thread.. different states pay different amounts in food stamps, because the cost of groceries differs from place to place. the challenge you linked to suggests everyone use a national average. that's great, i suppose, but for those who really want to do this accurately, i would encourage each person o find out what THEIR state pays per person, and use that amount for their challenge.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

i also pointed this out in the other thread.. different states pay different amounts in food stamps, because the cost of groceries differs from place to place. the challenge you linked to suggests everyone use a national average. that's great, i suppose, but for those who really want to do this accurately, i would encourage each person o find out what THEIR state pays per person, and use that amount for their challenge.

Good point, L.C., and I totally understand you and KatyAnn having already done your time with this. I'm going to check into the various states and I hope at least a few join me for a week. Who was it that said to 'walk a mile in another's shoes' before criticizing?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Here is a link to a very short video (2:33) that may be beneficial to understanding the process people live under when requiring food stamps.

Video

i have to agree with katy on that one. there is no shame in doing the food stamp challenge. there is a LOT of shame in actually using them. it's not as bad now, since the ebt card came along, because if people aren't watching carefully, they would never know...

until the cashier asks loudly "are you using your EBT card for this transaction?" or... "your EBT only covered x amount, how will you be paying for the balance?" (because you ring it all together, but the EBT card only pays for those items that are non-taxable.)

Guest shiloh357

i don't think anyone criticizes those who NEED to be on food stamps. the criticism is aimed at those who abuse the system.

Exactly. We need a safety net for the genuinely needy. Everyone falls on hard times. i have no problem providing this kind of assistance to someone who really needs it so long as they are trying help themselves and are looking for work, working temp jobs, or are disabled and cannot work.

Guest shiloh357

i have to agree with katy on that one. there is no shame in doing the food stamp challenge. there is a LOT of shame in actually using them. it's not as bad now, since the ebt card came along, because if people aren't watching carefully, they would never know...

until the cashier asks loudly "are you using your EBT card for this transaction?" or... "your EBT only covered x amount, how will you be paying for the balance?" (because you ring it all together, but the EBT card only pays for those items that are non-taxable.)

My brother worked at Walmart and they trained him to never say anything that would alert other customers to the fact that someone was using an ebt card. If it didn't cover the balance, he would tell them that they "exceeded their balance."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Fried rice and risotto dishes are cheap. Curried fried rice is good. Toss in some chicken and vegies. Tomato soup with pasta in it (the norwegian way) can fill you up for cheap.