firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

This thread is a concern to me. First, if the argument is about the scripture still being open, than what do you all believe is worthy to be called His words besides scripture? Many writings have already been rejected. They were rejected because the writings did not line up with scripture. Is there something that you believe lines up with scripture written today?

But we also don't use the same Bible as Catholics so its hard to say how to view this. If anything its safe to say that God has not revealed everything to us. But what has reveal is more than enough to keep us occupied in knowing Him in this lifetime.

For excellent reasons Ruck. People need to be extremely careful they don't fall for "what sounds good" teachings. There are a lot of secular sayings that "sound good", but do nto line up with scripture.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

The fact is that your position is a non-issue because in 2,000 years no new Scripture has been given to us by God. God said everything He needed to say to us in terms of revelation of Himself and He said if fully and finally in Jesus Christ.

And asking me to prove a new revelation is not a cop-out, when you can't do it in the bible? Also, so you admit that is a new revelation?

If God said everything that needed to be said to us, then there would be no need for the Holy Spirit to speak to us, or guide us. There would be no need for dreams or visions. I can do this all day. but how about we just agree to disagree on this, and God bless you

Hello Joseph,

After following this thread for a while, I have began to understand a little bit more about what "new revelation" is. To my limited understanding of what I have began to understand is that "new revelationsists" (or whatever they are called, think I just made up a name lol) believe that we are given insight to unwritten things within the bible, is this correct? (Will stop there for now, to ensure we are on the same page)

What do you believe the Spirit, that is set to guide us, is exactly for?

What is truth? And how can we obtain it?

God bless you in all you, amen.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

My Spirit is stirred within me. Blessing and Peace to you Joseph, my beloved brother.

Consider what God has already said:

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

I have the Spirit of God in me. The Spirit of Revelation who also Illuminates.

1Pe 1:11-12 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

The prophets who had the same Spirit in them were able to search that Spirit for specific unrevealed information about that which was given them and were rewarded handsomely for their efforts.

1Cr 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

I have the Spirit of Christ in me. I can search his Spirit to know the things that are freely given of Him unto us. He teaches me something new everyday as I seek to obey Him in all things.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

There is competition that goes on for my attention and trust in the spiritual realm and my senses have to be exercised to understand what is good and what is evil, truth or error. This, for me, is not always easy.

Jhn 16:12-13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Jesus had many things to say unto them but notice that they could not bear them yet. They were lacking the necessary power to bear the very weight of that which God would show them. We know that the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy.

Here I would like to relate a personal encounter with the Lord in what he taught me one day. I was at work and a man, Art, came over to me and we started talking. The Spirit told me that Art was born and raised Catholic. I asked Art if he were born and raised Catholic and he affirmed the truth of that which I was told and the information given me caused our conversation to turn from work unto the work of God in our lives. We were both extremely edified from the encounter. I marveled for a few moments over what had happened until the break bell rang and I went to sit down for a read. The Spirit said to turn to John 4 and I read about the encounter of the woman at the well and understood what I was being taught. But on the same note, I have had other encounters with things coming through my heart about others that was completely bogus and unfounded. It has been a wonderful exercise working to get to know the Shepherds voice that I might know when I am receiving the real deal versus some garbage. I am a work in progress.

That said, I want to emphasize that I believe through the Spirit that the bible I have is complete and there are no other writings necessary for me to have added to the canon. There is more than enough in this single volume of books that I know I still cannot see that is there to be illuminated at some point if it pleases God to do so by his Spirit.

You are absolutely correct that the bible does not contain all that there is to know about God, Heaven, Hell or even Jesus. There is a very important reason for John 17:3 to have the word 'and' in it, and that reason was revealed to me by the Spirit. For me, the Bible is my honing tool to seek to discern the Spirits voice so that when he speaks to me outside of scripture, I can recognize and follow Him where he sends or tells me to say. Tonight I was moved to share a story from my childhood with a man who was comforted and connected with me based upon similar experience. God is amazing how he works and talks through us to others.

Here is another one for you that many will not be able to accept except that God through the Spirit confirm it to be true unto their hearts as we know that one can only know truth if God confirm it unto them. He must give the increase. When I was reading Peter's epistles and saw the text concerning that the prophets of old searching the Spirit of Christ in them so that they might know who they were actually writing too, the Spirit told me that Peter also did this very same thing himself that he might understand who he was talking to when he said that time had come that judgment must begin at the house of God. The whole new testament is a book of prophecy foreshadowing events to come. It was revealed unto Peter who he was writing unto.

Consider David who consulted the Lord when there was trouble.

1Sa 23:4 Then David enquired of the LORD yet again. And the LORD answered him and said, Arise, go down to Keilah; for I will deliver the Philistines into thine hand.

Can you say new revelation? I enquire of the Lord when I need to know something, especially that which is important. In this respect new revelation is given unto us if we are able to first enquire and secondly hear and receive. But we must not be dull of hearing.

I could go on as God would continue to lead me through the scriptures and show me more and more to help you understand that he is still using revelation but I believe I have said enough for now. Keep seeking him in prayer and learning of him. Remember that the Word of God plus the Spirit of God equals the Voice of God and he walks in the Garden with you. Take care and enjoy your walks with him. I get the best results when I simply speak aloud unto him and confess that which I don't know and he, like the good Father he is, always leads me to come to understand what I need to know.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Shiloh - I do believe we are talking past each other. :(

I don't have time to go through your responses, but if I may give an example?

A man has a dream/vision that includes seeing Christians with the armor of God. In this, he sees the Christians also given a cloak - the cloak of humility. This was their only defense against arrows of pride being shot at their backs. Those without the cloak of humility were hit from behind and infected with the arrow, but they didn't know it. Slowly, the poison of pride took it's effect, and the Christian would begin shedding his armor, relying on his own strength to fight the battle. Thus exposed, they were taken down via other attacks.

Now, on can argue that this vision was unScriptural, for Scripture never speaks of such a thing. However, can you determine anything in the application of this cloak that is contrary to what is written in Scripture concerning pride and concerning humility?

This thread is a concern to me. First, if the argument is about the scripture still being open, than what do you all believe is worthy to be called His words besides scripture? Many writings have already been rejected. They were rejected because the writings did not line up with scripture. Is there something that you believe lines up with scripture written today?

If nothing written by any Christian lines up with Scripture, what are we listening to and reading works by theologians, pastors, and teachers for? :online2long:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Hello Joseph,

After following this thread for a while, I have began to understand a little bit more about what "new revelation" is. To my limited understanding of what I have began to understand is that "new revelationsists" (or whatever they are called, think I just made up a name lol) believe that we are given insight to unwritten things within the bible, is this correct? (Will stop there for now, to ensure we are on the same page)

Revelation = to disclose some truth or knowledge by the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Illumination = To clarify and deepen the understanding of an already known truth.

This is the definition of revelation and illumination I have been using. A new revelation by my understanding would be nothing more than " The disclosing of some new truth or Knowledge by the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit. Something the Person did not know previsouly. The vision of John the revelator for example was a new revelation. I also believe that one person can recieve what to them is a new revelation, but is known an understood by others. I truley believe that most true dreams and visions from God are acts of revelation. Many times God has through the Holy Spirit shown me what is about to come to pass in my life. These would be examples of when the Lord brought me new revelation. They are revelation and not illumination because I had no way of knowing anything about them to start with. For someone to say there is no new revelation, to me means that there can't be dreams or visions.

Your questions.

1. What do you believe the Spirit, that is set to guide us, is exactly for?

To guide us into all truth. Jesus Christ is truth.

2. What is truth? And how can we obtain it?

Jesus christ is truth. Salvation

What does this verse mean?

Ephesians 1:17 NAS

that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.

Maybe I missed it -

But was it ever posted exactly which Scripture(s) show us that there is nothing more of God to be revealed to us? Or that "the Canon" is closed?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Can you say new revelation? I enquire of the Lord when I need to know something, especially that which is important. In this respect new revelation is given unto us if we are able to first enquire and secondly hear and receive. But we must not be dull of hearing.

Thank you for the post. I feel led to share this with you. I never siad anywhere in here that there is right now a peice of writing that should be added to canon. Only that God could if he choose to. From my first post, I have stayed on the same stance. That saying there is no new revelation sweeps more under the rug, than people realize. I guess this thread has gotten the way it has because people use differant definitions of the revelation. one more thing christians can't agree on I guess.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Hello Joseph,

Revelation = to disclose some truth or knowledge by the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Illumination = To clarify and deepen the understanding of an already known truth.

This is the definition of revelation and illumination I have been using. A new revelation by my understanding would be nothing more than " The disclosing of some new truth or Knowledge by the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit. Something the Person did not know previsouly. The vision of John the revelator for example was a new revelation. I also believe that one person can recieve what to them is a new revelation, but is known an understood by others. I truley believe that most true dreams and visions from God are acts of revelation. Many times God has through the Holy Spirit shown me what is about to come to pass in my life. These would be examples of when the Lord brought me new revelation. They are revelation and not illumination because I had no way of knowing anything about them to start with. For someone to say there is no new revelation, to me means that there can't be dreams or visions.

Your questions.

1. What do you believe the Spirit, that is set to guide us, is exactly for?

To guide us into all truth. Jesus Christ is truth.

2. What is truth? And how can we obtain it?

Jesus christ is truth. Salvation

Thank you for your response :) The reason I asked what I did was to better understand you.

New Revelation I don't think exists, if God remains constant then what we learn from the bible is it, correct? We indulge ourselves in HIm and get a more in-depth and real understanding, but I dont think there is anything "new" to learn. New to an individual, absolutely! But new as a whole? I dont think so.

Hmm, that is a very interesting point that you bring up. About God giving an insight about our lives, something He already knows since this is a rerun from Him and He is already at the end of this awaiting. One question I have to ask is that we are given understanding how? Through prayer and faith in an answer, knock and it shall be opened to you. So still; nothing "new" here, the bible declares such a giving God of understanding, and does so freely, the only point we miss is applying this to our own lives. Now time for my question, so the "new revelation" appoints to outside scripture?