• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

No- divorce is allowed because of hardness of heart = sin... forgiveness is the eternal reward of adultery against God in

the world we are now in! The mystery of Christ and The Church since all of us will be there by such debt... why does this

not change the hardness of our hearts in no longer the use of divorce? Love, Steven

Steven you have to go back to what Jesus said. Jesus was not in disagreement with Moses.

First God can fix any Marriage. Adultery, whatever the sin. Two believers should never consider divorce because that is saying God is powerless to fix the issues. God is not. It's unbelief.

We have to understand the customs somewhat and the Greek a little tiny bit. This is the scripture.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

It appears to read, that the only excuse to divorce your wife (Husband) is because of fornication. If the marriage breaks up for anything less and that person marries, they commit adultery.

That is not what it reads.

Let's read the whole thing.

Mat 19:3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

The first question was. Is it lawful for a man to "PUT AWAY" his wife for every cause? They are quoting the Law. Remember these are priest asking the question.

Lev 21:7 They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane; neither shall they take a woman put away from her husband: for he is holy unto his God.

Jer 3:1 They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD.

Put away does not mean divorce. It means to still treat her as property, and not release her with divorce. Jesus said you just can't put someone away and find another, while keeping the old one. They are one flesh, so you just don't put away.

Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

So they bring up the Divorce and put them away. God forbid not allowing the wife to leave, the man had to give her a certificate to prove she was free. He had to divorce her.

Deu 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

Deu 24:2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

Deu 24:3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Mat_19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Put away does not mean divorce, they are two different Greek words. You just don't put away your wife, without a certificate of divorce. To commit adultery, you have to be married, so the put away wife could not marry without committing adultery.

Jesus said if she fornicate (Commit some perversion) you can put her away. He did not say divorce though. Put away would be separated.

Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

The wife is not suppose to leave, but if she does, she has to remain unmarried or go back to her Husband.

The Word does not make provisions for divorce. Even in fornication as Jesus never said divorce, just put away, separate. God can still fix it. It's not an excuse to divorce.

1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

If they want to depart, give them the divorce, otherwise they commit adultery. We are not under bondage, and we are not commanded to believe for our unbelieving spouse forever in misery. Let them go as we don't know if they will be saved.

So for a believer, we hold on. Jesus never mentioned divorce, he said put away or separate. If they want to leave, let them go, divorce them.

Wait, but if my spouse cheats, then it pollutes our house..............I should divorce them, right?

That is not what Jesus said.

1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Even if your spouse is a Ally cat, they are still sanctified by the believing spouse. So, it will all depend on your faith, ability to forgive, and what you can endure. If you are not pleased with them anymore, then we are not under bondage. Divorce them.

I stood by my wife while she was sleeping with another man. I was on my face for her before God, and so tempting to just want to quit, and find a better wife. I would not stop believing, and when asked I always said my Marriage is fine, it's restored and my wife serves God. I never said anything else, calling those things that be not as though they were. Not everyone is at that place, and so are not in bondage. We have been married now 21 years.

Jesus Is Lord.

we have the same understanding of marriage

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Matthew 19

9 And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is put away commits adultery.

Why does Jesus say the sin is adultery in this case? If polygamy was acceptable, then a man should not be committing adultery if he marries another woman after a divorce.

Divorce and re-marriage is a sin, but polygamy is not. A man could have multiple wives at one time, and as long as they remain married, there is no sin. If he puts one of them away, and someone else marries that woman, that is sin. They are two separate issues.

Sorry I respectuflly disagree. Polygamy is a sin.

Mark 10:6-8

"But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 'and the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh.

How can a man be one flesh with one wife and one flesh also with another wife?

God never condoned polygamy but like divorce He allowed it to occur and did not bring an immediate punishment for this disobedience.

Deut. 17:14-17

I will set a king over me like all the nations that are around me,' “you shall surely set a king over you whom the LORD your God chooses; one from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not set a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. But he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, for the LORD has said to you, 'You shall not return that way again.' “Neither shall he multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn away; nor shall he greatly multiply silver and gold for himself.”

Yet there are far-reaching consequences.

Notice Solomon became a polytheist because he was influenced in polygamy. In his case many wives, became many gods. Solomon's heart was turned away from the Lord as Solomon had too many distractions.

I Kings 11:4

“For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.”

Scripture has always commanded monogamy (Ps.128:3; Prov. 5:18; 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-29; Eccl. 9:9).

Multiple wives was a practice that was tolerated but never with God's approval. Jesus told the Jews:

Matt. 19:3-8

"Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way"

Finally, Paul instructs the Corinthians and Believers today…

1 Cor. 7:2

Each man [should] have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.”

God bless,

GE

PS - There is one Groom (Jesus) and one Bride (the Church). How does polygamy fit in with God's description of the marriage union (one Groom and one Bride) as seen in Scripture?

It nearly always a safe assume if the body desires it in unbalanced proportion to others or God... it is sin! Matt 7:1-6 Love, Steven

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Malachi 2 "all of it" - *shrug* it's wrong

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Well you are wrong about the pants thing as well, so... :cool2:

I’m wondering if there will be an answer to my post but for the sake of argument let’s see what was said…

First of all, I agree with everyone that one man and one woman is best. I am just arguing that polygamy is not a transgression of God's law, so it is not a sin.

We’re talking of God’s law…

What I said is that sin is the transgression of the law, and there is no law against polygamy so it can't be a sin.

And again of God’s law…

Now revisiting this comment in bold below… I’ll simply address monogamy in Scripture since I didn’t really go into it…

Divorce and re-marriage is a sin, but polygamy is not. A man could have multiple wives at one time, and as long as they remain married, there is no sin. If he puts one of them away, and someone else marries that woman, that is sin. They are two separate issues.

Sorry I respectfully disagree. Polygamy is a sin.

Scripture has always commanded monogamy (Ps.128:3; Prov. 5:18; 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-29; Eccl. 9:9).

So let’s revisit the Old Testament…

In Psalm 128:3 the word “wife” is singular.

Ps. 128:3

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine

In the very heart of your house,

Your children like olive plants

All around your table.

In Prov. 5:18; 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-29 the word “wife” or “a wife” is singular.

Proverbs 5:18

Let your fountain be blessed,

And rejoice with the wife of your youth.

Prov. 18:22

He who finds a wife finds a good thing,

And obtains favor from the Lord.

Proverbs 19:14

Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers,

But a prudent wife is from the Lord.

Proverbs 31:10-29

I’m not going to quote this passage but the link is above. The word “Wife” is mentioned in the singular form in verse 10. The word “her” is mentioned in the singular 30 times. The word “she” is mentioned in the singular 19 times.

Are we seeing a pattern yet?

If one has multiple wives or is not against polygamy how does one view Eccl. 9: 9? Particularly "the wife whom you love all the days of your {vain} life"?

Eccl. 9:9

Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life which He has given you under the sun, all your days of vanity; for that is your portion in life, and in the labor which you perform under the sun.

How can one based on these Scripture passages Butero claim that polygamy is okay and not a sin?

Curious. Something to ponder. :help:

God bless,

GE

Show me the scripture that says it is ok for women to wear pants? :cool2:

BTW Fez, is it ok for a man to wear a bikini or a sun dress? :noidea:

To church? :whistling:

Here is the bottom line.... You can disagree with something, but that doesn't make it a sin.

Scripture has been presented in the thread to show that today marriage is between one woman and one man. Scripture has been presented that polygamy was allowed as a concession not as an approved practice. Sorry brother. We will have to agree to disagree.

Peace In Christ,

GE

Show me the scripture that says it is ok for women to wear pants? :cool2:

BTW Fez, is it ok for a man to wear a bikini or a sun dress? :noidea:

To church? :whistling:

Why not? Most churches today say "Come as you are." :whistling:

Well. You might know men who wear dresses and bikini's on a Sunday, but I would have to say you would be in the minority. I don't know any....Well there was uncle Fred but we don't talk about him in polite company... (Oh, I just know there is a story begging to be told brewing here, fiction, but a story none the less..)