• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Do you see a difference between breaking bread, and celebrating the L-rds supper?

From what I understand we don't really do either in most Christian communities, but have trasmogrified some Scriptures

into what we call Communion... an emblematic practice, not without merit, but not according to Scripture perhaps?

The idea of Pesach/Passover was one of remembrance, a yearly feast and this was the context of the words of Jesus

so that as far as I can see it was meant to be done once a year in the context of a Passover celebration.

One of my concerns regarding communion is that it is really a tradition of men, and is largely divorced from anything

approaching a scriptural context, and where we can be fairly blazé in taking the the bread and wine, just saying a quick

prayer if we know there is sin in our lives, but nothing really powerful or meaningful or life-changing.

If Passover is approached with the added meaning that Jesus gave us, it would be a time of huge significance for

the Church as a whole and us as individuals...the Jewish people have a period of time before the feast where they

search out any yeast or yeast derivative representative of sin...sometimes they do this over a sustained period of

a week or more....Imagine how the Church might be transformed if we celebrated this feast with all our heart and

truly got right with G-d in every area. No longer would it be a habit or empty tradition, but something that had

Jesus at its centre.

Anyway just a few personal thoughts.

AMEN!!!!

Just a question for anybody. Do any churches celebrate Pentacost/Shavuot?

We celebrate "the birth of the Church" by acknowledging the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and re-reading Acts 2 - but we don't really do anything.

How do you celebrate it?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

We celebrate "the birth of the Church" by acknowledging the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and re-reading Acts 2 - but we don't really do anything.

How do you celebrate it?

With a lot of cheese! :happyhappy:

Judaism celebrates Shavuot by remembering the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai. It's the culmination of what we call counting the omer. We count every day from the second day of Passover to Pentecost. The celebrations really never ends in this way. Passover/unleavened bread, first fruits waving, which represents Yeshua's resurrection, and then we continue counting the omer till Shavuot. Where we celebrate the giving of the Torah from God. All this is done within traditional customs.

The Church has rejected all things Jewish, and so misses out on all the glorious patterns that reflect the Messiah and what He has done for us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There exists no regular event schedules in God's Word.... and nothing that says we should emulate Jewish feasts and schedules

1 Cor 11:26

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.

NKJV

Love, Steven

There exists no regular event schedules in God's Word.... and nothing that says we should emulate Jewish feasts and schedules

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.

NKJV

Love, Steven

Nobody is telling you to emulate Jews. I said that when you strip the gospel of it's Jewishness you miss soooooooo much of the context.

Let's use the verse you quoted. This is in reference to Pesach, a Jewish feast, The statement "as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup" implies that 'you' as a believer are celebrating it. Whenever 'you' observe Passover, you proclaim the Lord's death. And, we should be doing this till He comes back.

20 When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise 23 For you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying,"This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
He equates the Lord's supper with Passover. And in the context of the story, the bread and the cup are in reference to the Passover celebration the night of Messiah's arrest.

So to use the verse as you did makes no sense. It proves you wrong. First, of course there exists regular schedule events in God's Word. The whole bible is God's word, and that includes the OT. To claim God does not like, nor use regular scheduled events would tell me you don't know much of God. Second, the very verse you used proved Paul taught his audience that they would be observing a regularly scheduled event called Pesach. That when they did observe it, they should remember the Lord's death. And when Paul identified until He comes, he made it clear that the followers of Messiah would be observing it till the return.

How do you celebrate it?

With a lot of cheese! :happyhappy:

:38::emot-cheering: Oh yeah! Bring on the celebration!!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Thanks to all of you who teach the more ignorant Gentile believer (me) among us our Judaic roots.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

NKJV

Love, Steven

Nobody is telling you to emulate Jews. I said that when you strip the gospel of it's Jewishness you miss soooooooo much of the context.

Let's use the verse you quoted. This is in reference to Pesach, a Jewish feast, The statement "as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup" implies that 'you' as a believer are celebrating it. Whenever 'you' observe Passover, you proclaim the Lord's death. And, we should be doing this till He comes back.

20 When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. 21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise 23 For you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying,"This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
He equates the Lord's supper with Passover. And in the context of the story, the bread and the cup are in reference to the Passover celebration the night of Messiah's arrest.

So to use the verse as you did makes no sense. It proves you wrong. First, of course there exists regular schedule events in God's Word. The whole bible is God's word, and that includes the OT. To claim God does not like, nor use regular scheduled events would tell me you don't know much of God. Second, the very verse you used proved Paul taught his audience that they would be observing a regularly scheduled event called Pesach. That when they did observe it, they should remember the Lord's death. And when Paul identified until He comes, he made it clear that the followers of Messiah would be observing it till the return.

Precisely, and well stated bro. :D

It is my fond hope that in these last days Gentile Believers will begin to get a better revelation/understanding from the Bible of some

of the richness and meaning that has been lost to us by divesting from all things Jewish, and choose to readdress the balance by

exploring ways in which we can begin to celebrate the feasts in particular.

The difference is that in the early Church that started with the Jews and embraced the Gentiles, there was a natural order of things

that stemmed directly from the Jewish traditions, and even prior to the resurrection, godly Gentiles who embraced the biblical Judaism

would have been very familiar with all things Jewish. Today we do not have that understanding and teaching, and trying to reintroduce

something that has been divorced from a meaningful context is no easy task, to which there is also what appears to be an inbuilt opposition

or resistance to.

I don't know what the answer is, but in a couple of weeks I will be celebrating Yom HaAtzma'ot (independence day) with my friends in the

Jewish community...with whom I also share other celebrations from time to time, generally led by the Lubarvitchers (the equivalent in Judaism

of the evenagelical outreach part of the Church)...I think that many of them appreciate that we Christians want to better understand how to

celebrate biblical feasts, and are generally very warm, especially as we work together as a community to combat anti-Semitism and anti-

Zionism etc.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Are you saying that the Passover meal is the Lord's supper that Paul taught? :)