• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1993

I'm dating an armenian so I have been to the armenian apostolic church. I think that while I do not agree with all of their beliefs, some of their traditions are beautiful. And the der hayr (priest) is such a kind man. They are an interesting church in that they share the orthodox/catholic view on sacraments but they allow their clergy to marry. They have a beautiful liturgy, mostly in armenian, but with translations for the 'otars' (foreigners). And sometimes in a foreign parish the priest will translate certain parts of the ceremony as well as the sermon.

My mum grew up catholic but left Catholicism when she moved out of the house at 19 after getting hired as a pixie photographer. She stayed away because of her disagreement with the teachings on purgatory. She thought that Christ's sacrifice was enough. But my grandma remains a devout catholic.

What are your experiences with orthodox, apostolic, and catholic churches?

Oh, and while I know that many of you may not agree with the teachings of some of these churches, please keep the tone of your post respectful and kind.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I don't agree with some of the their doctrines/dogma, but have met some good people that love the L-rd.

My three main criticisms are:

1. Exclusivity...they tend to think they alone have the true authentic authority of the Apostles, and therefore anyone

outside their community, even if they profess faith in Jesus, are only on the periphery and possess much ignorance.

2. Over emphasis...on Mary, Angels and the Saints...claim to venerate and honour only, but a quick glance at some hymns and

prayers to any of these clearly proves otherwise...IMO venerate is largely a religious code-word for worship.

3. Most of their members also seem to embrace replacement theology, and actively call the Church Israel...many amongst them

favour the Palestinian narrative and divest from Israel.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Well, I guess you would call me an Orthodox Priest. Our theology is probably closest to the (long extinct) Celtic Orthodox Church ca. (AD 300 or so).

I believe strongly in Apostolic Succession. I know it is the ordinary route to Ministry in the New Testament Era. However, I also believe strongly in the Charismatic/Prophetic 'extraordinary' Ministry raised up by God to serve in this world as well. They are different kinds of Ministry, but God has always worked through both.....

I'm dating an armenian so I have been to the armenian apostolic church. I think that while I do not agree with all of their beliefs, some of their traditions are beautiful. And the der hayr (priest) is such a kind man. They are an interesting church in that they share the orthodox/catholic view on sacraments but they allow their clergy to marry. They have a beautiful liturgy, mostly in armenian, but with translations for the 'otars' (foreigners). And sometimes in a foreign parish the priest will translate certain parts of the ceremony as well as the sermon.

My mum grew up catholic but left Catholicism when she moved out of the house at 19 after getting hired as a pixie photographer. She stayed away because of her disagreement with the teachings on purgatory. She thought that Christ's sacrifice was enough. But my grandma remains a devout catholic.

Oh, and while I know that many of you may not agree with the teachings of some of these churches, please keep the tone of your post respectful and kind.

In Fresno, California Twenty Or Thirty Years Or So

We Had A Visiting Preacher In Our Local Armenian Apostolic Church

And Every Other Word Or So Out Of His Mouth Was The Aremian Word For Jesus

So In No Time At All, This Man-On-Fire For The LORD Was The Talk Of The Believer's Town

The Ones I Attended In The San Jaquin Valley For The Funerals Of My Buddies Were Jesus Centered

Well, I guess you would call me an Orthodox Priest. Our theology is probably closest to the (long extinct) Celtic Orthodox Church ca. (AD 300 or so).

I believe strongly in Apostolic Succession. I know it is the ordinary route to Ministry in the New Testament Era. However, I also believe strongly in the Charismatic/Prophetic 'extraordinary' Ministry raised up by God to serve in this world as well. They are different kinds of Ministry, but God has always worked through both.....

:thumbsup:

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! Romans 10:13-15

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I believe in two golden calves. The first which is various divisions, branches and sects of that which is rooted in Catholosim, while the second is contained within the various divisions, branches and sects of that which is rooted in Protestantism. The later being guilty of the same in which they condemn the former for but all of one family, the peoples of God through Christ.

simple-pendulum-suspension.gif

If A represents being Catholic based and C being Protestant based, I consider B to be where absolute truth lies. All of which are suspended by the point of suspension which is Christ our Lord. For this cause, I seek not to speak evil of either as each contain those who truly love Christ and seek to know God through him.

As I have ventured through the landscape of Christianity today, I have met many nice people who seek to do good and live as they have been taught to believe. The Catholic brother I sat with last night for a late night chat repeatedly spoke of that which he had been taught by tradition to which I could only reply that I have not been led to trust in such things and shared that many of the traditions seem to go against a simple interpretation of the scriptures. But what we agreed upon was that which is our duty to do, that being seeking to be conformed to the image of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the washing of the water of the word of truth.

As a fairly young Christian myself, I often wonder if we are not simply a bunch of somewhat muddy children who tend to have a desire to wash the mud off of our brothers and sisters while not able to see that we ourselves haven't quite been made clean every whit. And for this cause, I listened carefully to my Catholic brother as he spoke unto me about the clumps of dirt he perceived to be on me that I might truly understand if they were really mine or a reflection of his own need for cleansing. I know I walked away able to identify with my brother more than I could before I sat down with him. I think we both walked away a little cleaner and each toward B.

Praise God for his faithfulness, patience and love!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I don't agree with some of the their doctrines/dogma, but have met some good people that love the L-rd.

My three main criticisms are:

1. Exclusivity...they tend to think they alone have the true authentic authority of the Apostles, and therefore anyone

outside their community, even if they profess faith in Jesus, are only on the periphery and possess much ignorance.

2. Over emphasis...on Mary, Angels and the Saints...claim to venerate and honour only, but a quick glance at some hymns and

prayers to any of these clearly proves otherwise...IMO venerate is largely a religious code-word for worship.

3. Most of their members also seem to embrace replacement theology, and actively call the Church Israel...many amongst them

favour the Palestinian narrative and divest from Israel.

Very well put Botz. I agree :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I have a greek orthodox study bible. I find it interesting. I dont care for the saints etc they follow.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

A close friend of mine started following Greek Orthodox teaching and eventually turned away from the Lord. He read a lot of the Apocrypha ("Hidden" books: Letter of Jeremiah, Tobit, Baruch, Ecclesiasticus, Additions to Esther, Judith, Song of the 3 Children, Susanna, 1-2 Esdras, 1-2 Maccabees, Bel & the Dragon, Prayer of Manasseh, Wisdom of Solomon) and the Pseudopigrapha (books written under falesly assumed names: Book of Adam & Eve, 1-2 Enoch, 3-4 Baruch, Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs, Assumption of Moses). He also became very interested in Jewish tradition and roots. So much so that today this friend claims Judaism instead of Christianity. Very sad story.

I would stay away from those books (Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha) as much as possible.

While I have found that many Roman Catholics can be Christians not all Catholics are truly saved - many rely on works and not grace/faith. This has been my experience living in S. America - the Catholic Church will call anyone a Catholic if they simply get baptized and attend mass. Sometimes people in the country I lived in completely misunderstood God's grace and thought they had to either a) save themselves through penance or purchasing items from the priesthood or b) do good works to retain salvation. Now as Believers good works will be a result of salvation but not the means of salvation itself.

Of course this can be a caution for any Christian denomination.

Focus on the teachings of the Bible and avoid teachings on mary/saints/angels. Tradition can be beautiful. Just don't let tradition become your idol. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am a Catholic convert - I was raised Southern Baptist, and converted to Catholicism in 1992, with the full understanding that Catholics do not, I repeat, do Not, worship Mary and the Saints. Veneration and honor are just what they are - they are just words for respect. I have very high respect for Mary, because she is the mother of Jesus, and God choose that very important role for her. The Saints are very interesting people to read about - they lead very interesting, and trying lives. If I thought, for one minute, that Catholics worshipped Mary and the Saints, then I would not have converted to Catholicism in the first place. God, the Father - Jesus, the Son - and the Holy Ghost are the very foundation of what I believe. I worship God the Father, and Jesus the Son. I show respect towards Mary and the Saints, and I am proud to be a Catholic. Another thing, I may not agree with others' beliefs in other denominations, but I certainly respect other peoples' beliefs. I don't discriminate against any other religion because as a Christian, I have no right to do that at all. Catholics are God-fearing Christians as much as Protestants are. God bless you all.