OakWood

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Days Won:  22

The celebration of a 'birthday' is pagan.

oh my :crazy:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Calculating from the information we do know from scripture, the shepherds were in the hills around Bethlehem, grazing their sheep. Bethlehem is an arrid warm climate, so for most of the year, there would not be any grass in the hills to graze on. The shepherds in that area would take their sheep out right after the rainy season when the grass would be growing. One of the rainy season was from roughly October thru November, and the shepherds would have their flocks out in December and January.

So, what do they do the rest of the year, starve?

I have seen sheep in the middle east with their shepherds, where you cannot see a blade of grass for miles. The picture below, happens to be sheep in Israel, in December, notice the abundance of grass at that time of year. :)

Judean-wilderness-with-sheep-grazing-on-Christmas-tbs79039312.jpg

(Photo: Sheep grazing on Christmas in Israel, courtesy of

the Pictorial Library of Bible Lands)

Israel has differing climates depending on where you are. The hills around Bethlehem are grassy in December, because of the rainy season in November and December. During the summer, it does not rain so the grass dries up. from May thru October. The temperatures in Bethlehem are moderate in December with an avergage high of 57 degrees F, while another area in Israel has a ski resort (Mt Hermon) open in December for the winter.

http://www.hermon.com/mt_hermon/

12.jpg

14.jpg

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Christmas and Easter are essentially pagan destivals with a dose of Christianity thrown in. Did Jesus want us to celebrate his birth and death, especially when we use pagan symbols such as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny? Are these festivals going against scripture? Some may believe that they are.

However with the modern World's attempts to play down these important annual events in case they 'offend' people of other religions, some may see these festivals as a reinforcement of Christian identity. Throughout the Muslim world Christians are being persecuted for celebrating Christmas, and although Christmas may introduce fictional characters such as Santa to children, it is also a good way to teach kids about the birth of Christ. Christmas if nothing else, at least reminds us of our Judeo-Christian roots in a secular society that has for decades being trying to reject them.

Should we celebrate Christmas at all, or should we just at least tolerate it? Should we have nothing to with it at all, or should we be proud of it? What about Easter and other Christian festivals? Are they harmless or are they something dangerous that we should avoid completely?

Sinners are liars who don't know any better.

1 John 3:

4: Every one who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

6: No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.

8: He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

The Son of God hasn't completed the work of destroying this world yet. It will happen on the last day when all flesh, still on this earth, will be destroyed. This will end the work of the devil and the beast.

Revelation 19

17: Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly in midheaven, "Come, gather for the great supper of God,

18: to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great."

19: And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who sits upon the horse and against his army.

21: And the rest were slain by the sword of him who sits upon the horse, the sword that issues from his mouth; and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Televisions: good or bad ? internet: good or bad ? depends on if we use them for the glory of God, is it not. same with Holidays, if you worship the holiday then it is bad, if we use the holy-day/holiday to worship God then it is good. God can take anything evil has and make it good, however on the other hand satan can take anything good and make it evil, can he not. Church used wrong can be evil, the Holy Word of God has been used to produce cults and false religions. however it has been used to preach the Gospel. what one does with or on Easter, or Christmas determines if it is good or bad! just because sun worshippers use a certain day to worship their sun god, does not make the day bad, for scriptures still apply, to that day as well as any day, this is the day that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! what is wrong or bad is to condemn someone for anything, to word is made to reveal life and truth, to use it to condemn people is bad. Jesus didn't say go out and cast all law breakers into hell, But rather to tell them that I paid their debt! thank you Jesus, this is the day the Lord hath made if the Lord hath made it, then He has blessed it, and no man or ruler of the dark places can curse it. Praise the Lord !!!!

Edited by His_disciple3

Televisions: good or bad ? internet: good or bad ? depends on if we use them for the glory of God, is it not. same with Holidays, if you worship the holiday then it is bad, if we use the holy-day/holiday to worship God then it is good. God can take anything evil has and make it good, however on the other hand satan can take anything good and make it evil, can he not. Church used wrong can be evil, the Holy Word of God has been used to produce cults and false religions. however it has been used to preach the Gospel. what one does with or on Easter, or Christmas determines if it is good or bad! just because sun worshipers use a certain day to worship their sun god, does not make the day bad, for scriptures still apply, to that day as well as any day, this is the day that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! what is wrong or bad is to condemn someone for anything, to word is made to reveal life and truth, to use it to condemn people is bad. Jesus didn't say go out and cast all law breakers into hell, But rather to tell them that I paid their debt! thank you Jesus, this is the day the Lord hath made if the Lord hath made it, then He has blessed it, and no man or ruler of the dark places can curse it. Praise the Lord !!!!

Are You Telling Me That Supper With Jesus

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. Revelation 17:9

Is Better Than Breakfast At Tiffany's

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

Amen~!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Christmas and Easter - wrong or right?

Wrong. Very... wrong.

Blessings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Televisions: good or bad ? internet: good or bad ? depends on if we use them for the glory of God, is it not. same with Holidays, if you worship the holiday then it is bad, if we use the holy-day/holiday to worship God then it is good. God can take anything evil has and make it good, however on the other hand satan can take anything good and make it evil, can he not. Church used wrong can be evil, the Holy Word of God has been used to produce cults and false religions. however it has been used to preach the Gospel. what one does with or on Easter, or Christmas determines if it is good or bad! just because sun worshipers use a certain day to worship their sun god, does not make the day bad, for scriptures still apply, to that day as well as any day, this is the day that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! what is wrong or bad is to condemn someone for anything, to word is made to reveal life and truth, to use it to condemn people is bad. Jesus didn't say go out and cast all law breakers into hell, But rather to tell them that I paid their debt! thank you Jesus, this is the day the Lord hath made if the Lord hath made it, then He has blessed it, and no man or ruler of the dark places can curse it. Praise the Lord !!!!

Are You Telling Me That Supper With Jesus

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. Revelation 17:9

Is Better Than Breakfast At Tiffany's

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

Amen~!

Mat_18:14

Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

1Ti 2:3

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1Ti 2:4

Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Christmas and Easter are essentially pagan destivals with a dose of Christianity thrown in. Did Jesus want us to celebrate his birth and death, especially when we use pagan symbols such as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny? Are these festivals going against scripture? Some may believe that they are.

However with the modern World's attempts to play down these important annual events in case they 'offend' people of other religions, some may see these festivals as a reinforcement of Christian identity. Throughout the Muslim world Christians are being persecuted for celebrating Christmas, and although Christmas may introduce fictional characters such as Santa to children, it is also a good way to teach kids about the birth of Christ. Christmas if nothing else, at least reminds us of our Judeo-Christian roots in a secular society that has for decades being trying to reject them.

Should we celebrate Christmas at all, or should we just at least tolerate it? Should we have nothing to with it at all, or should we be proud of it? What about Easter and other Christian festivals? Are they harmless or are they something dangerous that we should avoid completely?

I'll tell you what I believe uninfluenced by other posts as I did not read them. I am extremely uncomfortable with these holidays. Yes, they are pagan, but the Lord gave us holidays in Leviticus 23 which as Paul stated were "shadows of things to come". For Christmas, the general thinking that it not the date, but the intention of honoring Christ is predominantly believed amongst Christians. However, that's like coming to an important job interview at any time one wishes with "good intentions" when the employer specified another time. God now gave us the knowledge to know that Christ was born in the autumn, probably the feast of trumpets, so Christians ought to set the standard by showing they are not influenced by worldly thinking and decide to get biblical as to the date of his birth. The Puritans wanted nothing to do with Christmas, being a worldly festival. So, if we have to "celebrate" any time, at least do it at the right time.

As for Easter, fortunately we got this one right..... usually, but got the name is wrong. It ought ot be called Firstfruits. So.... Christ's resurrection is celebrated on the right day, just the wrong name. However, keep in mind that Christ arose by the start of Firstfruits to fulfill it which is Saturday afternoon or evening by our reckoning. (So, I give you permission to sleep in late on Easter morning. :laughing: )

If you have any questions about God's timing in the bible, the calendar, or any question about time, you may ask as that's my knack. But yeah, these two festivals you mentioned break every calendar/timing rule of God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

Some claim Easter / Christmas as take-over ancient pagan holidays holidays.

Yet look at all the compromises. Christmas (kriss miss) is (was) comfortable to pagans (all who do not believe). Santa Claus, mistletoe, yule logs, bringing trees into the home to dress up (all these have pagan origins).

Easter (goddess Astarte / Esther) bunnies and eggs pagan fertility symbols.

If it's about Jesus' resurrection, why not call it that?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Truster, perhaps you trust too much. The link you have provided has some serious false teaching. I question anyone who teaches Universal Salvation, and to try to guilt people who celebrate a birthday? Well, that goes just one more step forward toward legalism. It is also interesting that he wrote a book called "Barack Obama, Prophecy, and the Destruction of the United States", where he is the spokesman for Living Church of God, which is one of the churches that came out of the World Wide Church of God, started by Hubert Armstrong.

If you wish to follow Dr. Bob Thiel, that is your choice. I prefer to stick with scripture and follow Christ.