• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

John 8:12

Then Jesus spoke to them again saying, "I am the light of the world, He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life."

We see here a grand Christological importance in who Christ is, this opens the door to yet another "I AM" of Christ.

What does Christ mean when He says He is the "Light of the World?" Following this, He also says those who "follow Him shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life," what does He mean and what is the "Light of life?"

Surrounding the questions and scripture above, in John 8:32 Christ also says, "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." This is a very common verse concerning spiritual matters and how the "truth sets us free", but what is this truth, and what does it set us free from?

Last but not least, Jesus says in John 9:5, "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." Now, since Christ is no longer here, does that mean this light is put out? (Thinking Question ;) )

God bless you and thank you all who take the time to discuss this! I am looking forward to some good discussion! :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Surrounding the questions and scripture above, in John 8:32 Christ also says, "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." This is a very common verse concerning spiritual matters and how the "truth sets us free", but what is this truth, and what does it set us free from?

A very good question. I am often bothered by how people use this verse.

A very good question. I am often bothered by how people use this verse....

:thumbsup:

Sin Enslaves

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. John 8:35 (NIV)

Jesus Saves

Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:35-36 (NIV)

• Group:  Diamond Member

A very good question. I am often bothered by how people use this verse....

:thumbsup:

Sin Enslaves

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. John 8:35 (NIV)

Jesus Saves

Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:35-36 (NIV)

Amen Joe!!

I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Group:  Diamond Member

A very good question. I am often bothered by how people use this verse.

If I may, Neb.

Given Joe has set forth his interpretation (at which I agree with) do you also agree? If so why?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Does Paul sum it up when he says 'death where is your sting'?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus promeised "another comforter" or advocate. He, the Holy spirit, continues to give us light. He sheds light on God's Word

and He glorifies Jesus, pointing us to Him just as Jesus came to glorify the Father, pointing us to Him.

Jesus Himself embodies Truth. and His Truth sets us free from the bondage of sin and death. He said "I AM the way, the TRUTH

and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."

According to Ephesians 1, when we have Jesus living in us by His Spirit, we have all of the above, so to speak. Eternal Life, Light,

love, and all the benefits of being an adopted child of God are ours by virture of Him living in us. It is mind boggeling. It is humbling.