• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Of course Jesus commanded us to help the poor.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Jon, I was led to go back to study this again today. I did not realize that that was the purpose of my devotion but I landed in 2 Cor 8 and upon reading it, I thought of this thread again.

2Cr 8:8 ¶ I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.

The giving in this chapter was specifically not by commandment.

Again, it draws me back to understanding the need for commandments/judgments/law/statutes. These things are for the unrighteous, not the righteous. Unrighteous people must be governed by law. Righteous people are governed by Love not Law.

I have to go back to this again:

Gal 3:21 [is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

With the understanding that:

Jhn 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

When I read Jhn 1:17 lately, I see the contrast of law and truth rather than law and grace. Am I saying the law isn't truth? God forbid. I am declaring that the law in and of itself is not truth as in black and white, able to be applied across the board by the letter to declare righteousness and those who follow it righteous. In this way it is not truth.

An example:

Num 15:32 ¶ And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

Num 15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

Num 15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

Num 15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

Num 15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

I read about a man gathering sticks up on the Sabbath and the Lord orders Moses to have him stoned.

Mat 12:1 ¶ At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

Mat 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw [it], they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is [one] greater than the temple.

Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what [this] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

And here we find David declared blameless when he had broken the letter of the Sabbath law.

In both instances God made the declaration. Once unto Moses. The second time through Jesus. I have determined within myself that the difference was in the heart of the matter.

So as it pertains to our discussion, I see Paul taking an opportunity to 'prove' or 'test' the sincerity of the love of the Corinthians by allowing them to decide for themselves whether or not they will give in this particular instance. A righteous man would give if he had the grace of God in him enabling him.

The main point of the article is to answer the question "Did Jesus command us to help the poor?". And it is an interesting question to say the least.

Jhn 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

This one is interesting. How did Jesus love them?

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

So wouldn't his commandment encompass doing the same for others as he did for them? Would this not include helping the poor as he did? So while a righteous man who is ruled by love need not law, it appears that Jesus left a law/commandment that would include that which we are asking.

Paul spoke of this after this manner:

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

I have to say that first the law of Christ as seen in the sermon on the mount convinced me of sin if I with held my hand from helping the poor but as I have matured in my faith, the love of Christ moves me to help. The grace of God in me doing the works without any glory for self. It is all about him.

Conclusion: Jesus commanded the unrighteous to help the poor. The righteous needed not a commandment.

Good discussion Jon :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,248
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

If God makes both to be (rich or poor)

1 Sa 2:7

7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;

He brings low and lifts up.

NKJV

How can we distinguish blessings from God

by material possessions or the not of them?

Love, Steven

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. There are so many different places where Jesus said we're to help the poor, that I just don't have time to look them up. The only one coming to my mind right now is where Jesus said what you didn't give to the poor, you didn't give to Jesus. I paraphrased that, but most of you should know what I'm talking about.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. There are so many different places where Jesus said we're to help the poor, that I just don't have time to look them up. The only one coming to my mind right now is where Jesus said what you didn't give to the poor, you didn't give to Jesus. I paraphrased that, but most of you should know what I'm talking about.

Sorry I don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't think anyone is saying we as Christians shouldn't give to the poor. Did you understand that from one of the posts? I think in particular what Gary was saying that the command was for non-Believers since as Believers it should be part of our joyful worship to give. :thumbsup:

If God makes both to be (rich or poor)

1 Sa 2:7

7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;

He brings low and lifts up.

NKJV

How can we distinguish blessings from God by material possessions or the not of them?

Love, Steven

Material possessions don't mean God's blessings in particular. God does as He wills - both to the Believer and Un-Beleiver. Would you agree?

Jon, I was led to go back to study this again today. I did not realize that that was the purpose of my devotion but I landed in 2 Cor 8 and upon reading it, I thought of this thread again.

<snip>

I have to say that first the law of Christ as seen in the sermon on the mount convinced me of sin if I with held my hand from helping the poor but as I have matured in my faith, the love of Christ moves me to help. The grace of God in me doing the works without any glory for self. It is all about him.

Conclusion: Jesus commanded the unrighteous to help the poor. The righteous needed not a commandment.

Thanks for your thoughts brother. I think I agree that that the command was to the righteous to help the poor. Those who are Christ's should give to the poor out a grateful heart anyway... Is that what your saying?

christians are commanded to help one another but we are also called to help those who are less fortunate than we are.

proverbs 21:13 If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

john 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him.

job 29:12 I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them

Yes Desi! :)

I think it is important to note that the collections Paul took up for the poor was for the church in Jerusalem. We should always help poor and starving Christians, especially. Christ was full of compassion and we cannot help but be also if His Spirit dwells in us.

Our obligation should be first to our own household, if we have relatives in dire need. Our next obligation I would think would be to our family of believers. But we cannot pass by those we encounter with a need. It may be a person who has no coat in freezing weather and we have several. It may be a stranger in 100 degree weather who with his family has broken down beside the road without water or help. I still remember the family who rescued us in such a case when we blew a rod on the freeway in the middle of nowhere. We didn't have cell phones back then.

Of course we need to be listening to the Lord and not foolishly put ourselves in danger.

I wonder what your take is on Paul's collections for those in Jerusalem?

I agree our priorities should be God first, family second, Believers third, and then anyone else. As Christians helping others financially and physically should be in our DNA. :thumbsup:

I agree too there should be discernment. I personally do not like just handing out money. I'd rather buy food or items for a person because you never know when they might simply be trying to support an addiction (drug, alcohol, cigarettes, etc).

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

<snip>

Thanks for your thoughts brother. I think I agree that that the command was to the righteous to help the poor. Those who are Christ's should give to the poor out a grateful heart anyway... Is that what your saying?

I suppose that may be another way to say it :) I simply like the idea that one who knows love does not need law.