• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

There is this interesting verse 1 Corinthians 14:32

King James Version (KJV)

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

What do you think is the meaning of it? There are some differing interpretations, because it is in plural form, also in the original text in Greek. 

και πνευματα προφητων προφηταις ‘υποτασσεται

Of course, we would assume that it's not being subject to principalities etc. At times it may some effort to understand the way of thinking that was common at the time, unless we perceive in spirit. I've been going through the New Testament in Greek for a couple of years now, and sometimes reading in the original language gives such refreshing revelations. But still it's the language of the Holy Spirit  that opens up the whole scripture.

Anyway, your thoughts on this one?

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

I think these verses may help bring some understanding to your question:

1 Corinthians 2:11 For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

1 Corinthians 12:7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
Edited by WalkTheWay

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  322
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1

The context of this verse deals with Paul's instructions on how meetings are to be structured and ordered when the church meets in order to avoid chaos and disorder.  Prophets are instructed to speak one by one, when to speak or keep silent, when to pass judgment etc. Unlike the Old Testament where the prophets are depicted as solitary figures delivering "100% accurate thus sayeth the Lord" messages, it seems that in the New Testament prophetic messages are subject to further discernment, testing and interpretation by others.  That's why Paul concludes his directives by saying spirits of prophets to prophets are subject.  This is further reinforced in the following verse which declares that God is not a God of confusion but peace - and therefore our meetings together should reflect that.

Guest ninhao

The context of this verse deals with Paul's instructions on how meetings are to be structured and ordered when the church meets in order to avoid chaos and disorder.  Prophets are instructed to speak one by one, when to speak or keep silent, when to pass judgment etc. Unlike the Old Testament where the prophets are depicted as solitary figures delivering "100% accurate thus sayeth the Lord" messages, it seems that in the New Testament prophetic messages are subject to further discernment, testing and interpretation by others.  That's why Paul concludes his directives by saying spirits of prophets to prophets are subject.  This is further reinforced in the following verse which declares that God is not a God of confusion but peace - and therefore our meetings together should reflect that.

Yes this is logical.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Yes this is logical.

Yes. I do think in the same way

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Dear Diatheosis,

1 Corinthians 14:32 is a very interesting and profound statement by itself but in getting into the context of Pauls inspired Word to the Corinthians,I try to remember that he is telling them to be mindful that this gift is for the building up of the church and that since we prophesy in part (mixed with some or our own thoughts or emotions)besides discerning Gods voice (with the ability to know His heart)it is left to the prophet to decide how to convey this information to others.I believe what I am trying to say is what is for the prophet to decide is whether to pray for the situation, ask others to pray for the situation or to tell the church or individuals.And of course, to always phrase the message in an encouraging way.Anyway,those are my thoughts and thank you for giving attention to this great scripture,reminding us to always build each other up!                                         God bless you,Kwik                                                                        

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

There is this interesting verse 1 Corinthians 14:32

King James Version (KJV)

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

What do you think is the meaning of it? There are some differing interpretations, because it is in plural form, also in the original text in Greek. 

και πνευματα προφητων προφηταις ‘υποτασσεται

Of course, we would assume that it's not being subject to principalities etc. At times it may some effort to understand the way of thinking that was common at the time, unless we perceive in spirit. I've been going through the New Testament in Greek for a couple of years now, and sometimes reading in the original language gives such refreshing revelations. But still it's the language of the Holy Spirit  that opens up the whole scripture.

Anyway, your thoughts on this one?

This is another proof to indicate the speaking in unknown tongue in Corinth involved person's spirit, not directly involved with the Holy Spirit. The direct involvement of the HS was in the book of Acts.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

didn't Jesus refer to John the Baptist as the spirit of Elijah having already come but the people failed to reconize him

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hi Michael!

Jesus reference to John the Baptist being in the spirit of Elijah was a reference to the prophecy in Malachi 4:5,where it is written that the coming of Elijah was in the spirit of Elijah......Luke 1 13-17....Jesus is not saying John the Baptist was Elijah re-incarnated but more in his spirit(perhaps character is a better word)....the context is found in the story of Zecherias beginning in Luke1:8....some even speculate that perhaps Zecherias(having  had access to the temple)may have given Elijahs camel hair garment to John the Baptist to wear(only speculation but an interesting theory)

Even John the Baptist was asked if he were Elijah and his answer was no......I believe the people did not recognize prophecy being fulfilled by Jesus before their very eyes....I am not sure I am explaining this very well,my mind is racing from scripture to scripture....perhaps one of my brothers or sisters may jump in here to clarify what I am trying to say(lol)

Unless of course,you do know what I mean.....                                            Love,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

simple, sound and solid ;)