• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1994

To be honest, I like it when a women dresses modestly. It makes me feel like she respects herself and doesn't roll around in the mud with pigs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Enoob, salt and grace go hand in hand, if we are to be the salt of the Earth. If I've come across like I was throwing salt in a wound, that was not my intention. Maybe I was just trying to get a smile or chuckle out of you, for a smile and a chuckle get more mileage than a frown.

It was a complement OZ... Love, Steven

Now you got a chuckle from me, and I got a lot of miles on it, thank-you for the complement Steven.

Oldzimm

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Sure old, and if she is asking for advice offering that to her makes sense in terms of how she advertises herself and her values. But what I really wanted to get across in my post is that blame for sin should not be placed on others.

But, on the flip side, suppose she goes around wearing a tight miniskirt. Whose problem is it if she causes sin? Whatever if she is an unbeliever? It's dangerous thinking in my mind to place the blame on her because that is what leads to demands she cover up so she doesn't cause problems for others, and where does that end? A pretty face could be enough to cause issues. In my mind it's like people who have a personal problem with drinking demanding that no one else do it either, and then blame others if they have problems.

Yes but the blame could go both ways, could it not? If I have a friend with a drinking problem and is trying to stay dry or even if he is not on the wagon, Knowing he has a problem, wouldn't it be a sin for me crack open a beer in front of him? The Bible tells us not to do anything that would cause our brother to sin (stumble).

If I remember right, I think the original post was about one or two women in a Church that may have dressed on the less conservative side. I can't say yea or nay on how they were dressed, because I don't know, but if they were wearing short miniskirts or low cut tops and as sisters in Christ, why would they dress to cause a brother to stumble?

People have this idea that they must be good enough before they come to Christ and that's not true. People come to Christ for his mercy, love, and strength to break the chains of sin that is holding them down. If we all waited to be good enough to become sons and daughters in Christ,  Church would be a very lonely place. So knowing there could be men in the congregation with a problem with lust, why then would women dress provocatively (if they were) causing a brother to stumble? 

maybe they don't know that. Maybe they think they are merely being fashionable. Maybe she does have bad intentions, so what. My point is that the guy in question should learn to deal. Truth is, we don't know how she was actually dressed. If she were dressed as is acceptable in our society I don't think it's cool for the guy referenced in the OP to complain.

Now there is a word and a line that are pet peeves of mind. The word fashionable, the line "..acceptable in society..", these are things of worldly matters, and at times could be created by satan. If the fashion of the time were to be naked in public and it were acceptable by society, would that make it okay? (I don't think so)

OneWithGod, congratulations on breaking those chains.

Oldzimm

It used to not be acceptable in society for women to wear pants or to wear skirts that didn't  fall to their feet. Do we really want to say that we ought to require that? There's clearly a cultural element to all this, particularly when we want to understand the intentions of the woman in question. If she is dressing appropriately to the standards of her society why impute to her ill intent?

To be honest, I like it when a women dresses modestly. It makes me feel like she respects herself and doesn't roll around in the mud with pigs.

I find this uncharitable.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

LOL!!!Now that is a good description :rofl:

Sure old, and if she is asking for advice offering that to her makes sense in terms of how she advertises herself and her values. But what I really wanted to get across in my post is that blame for sin should not be placed on others.

But, on the flip side, suppose she goes around wearing a tight miniskirt. Whose problem is it if she causes sin? Whatever if she is an unbeliever? It's dangerous thinking in my mind to place the blame on her because that is what leads to demands she cover up so she doesn't cause problems for others, and where does that end? A pretty face could be enough to cause issues. In my mind it's like people who have a personal problem with drinking demanding that no one else do it either, and then blame others if they have problems.

Yes but the blame could go both ways, could it not? If I have a friend with a drinking problem and is trying to stay dry or even if he is not on the wagon, Knowing he has a problem, wouldn't it be a sin for me crack open a beer in front of him? The Bible tells us not to do anything that would cause our brother to sin (stumble).

If I remember right, I think the original post was about one or two women in a Church that may have dressed on the less conservative side. I can't say yea or nay on how they were dressed, because I don't know, but if they were wearing short miniskirts or low cut tops and as sisters in Christ, why would they dress to cause a brother to stumble?

People have this idea that they must be good enough before they come to Christ and that's not true. People come to Christ for his mercy, love, and strength to break the chains of sin that is holding them down. If we all waited to be good enough to become sons and daughters in Christ,  Church would be a very lonely place. So knowing there could be men in the congregation with a problem with lust, why then would women dress provocatively (if they were) causing a brother to stumble? 

maybe they don't know that. Maybe they think they are merely being fashionable. Maybe she does have bad intentions, so what. My point is that the guy in question should learn to deal. Truth is, we don't know how she was actually dressed. If she were dressed as is acceptable in our society I don't think it's cool for the guy referenced in the OP to complain.

Now there is a word and a line that are pet peeves of mind. The word fashionable, the line "..acceptable in society..", these are things of worldly matters, and at times could be created by satan. If the fashion of the time were to be naked in public and it were acceptable by society, would that make it okay? (I don't think so)

Oldzimm

Fashionable by whom?Oli Cassini or satan?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Oldzimm

It used to not be acceptable in society for women to wear pants or to wear skirts that didn't  fall to their feet. Do we really want to say that we ought to require that? There's clearly a cultural element to all this, particularly when we want to understand the intentions of the woman in question. If she is dressing appropriately to the standards of her society why impute to her ill intent?

Again you speak of the subject in a worldly view, and you seem to suggest that to be naked in public is okay, as long as it is the fashion and society accepts it. The fact is we can talk about this subject being right or wrong all we want, but what we think doesn't really matter, it is what God thinks that matters and he clearly tells us in the word not to cause a brother (or sister) to stumble. If we cause a brother to stumble, two have sinned, the one who stumbled and the one who caused the brother to stumble.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Again you speak of the subject in a worldly view, and you seem to suggest that to be naked in public is okay, as long as it is the fashion and society accepts it. The fact is we can talk about this subject being right or wrong all we want, but what we think doesn't really matter, it is what God thinks that matters and he clearly tells us in the word not to cause a brother (or sister) to stumble. If we cause a brother to stumble, two have sinned, the one who stumbled and the one who caused the brother to stumble.

That is what the Bible teaches and it is what we, as believers, have to adhere to.  :mgbowtie:

We need to sacrifice "fashion" as Christians.The question is...Do you want to be excepted by this world or by God?We are just in this world not of it.

Oldzimm

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that if you want to judge a woman for what she is wearing it makes no sense to *not* take into account the cultural standard since what is modest in one place and time is completely different in another. That is just a fact. In 1800 US it would be completely inappropriate for a woman to go around in an outfit that is considered perfectly fine to us now, say, capris and a t shirt. Similarly, if a woman went to Saudi Arabia now wearing that she would be considered extremely immodest. Not taking into account the place and time you are at will not allow you to properly judge the intentions of the person wearing whatever it is they are are.

The other thing that people should take into account is the feelings of the person in question, who is told that their clothing is 'inappropriate'. The way that people are talking about women in this thread disturb me.