IGNORED

Do you think a Christian should sue another person?

missmuffet

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/28/1967

NO! definately not.

We (God fearing believers) are not to be OF this world (Word).

Another place tells us; Not to be entangled with the ways of this world (Word).

Do unto others as you would do unto the Lord (Word). Would you sue your Lord and Savior?

If you do it to one of the least in my kingdom; you have done it unto me (Word).

Doing something of this manner is nothing but the flesh and you are being just as vile as the rest of the world.

HE tells us to; Be separated from this world. Don't do as they do. (Word)

We can find a scripture to use for self justification; but, it is not self that can justify anything. God Bless

What does this mean?.......(Word)

it is quoting WORD, that is written in the WORD.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bible states we are not to covet what others have. Suing is an act of lawfully forcing someone to give you what they have.

At this time, I am considering a situation where I might have to sue someone. Without going into details, that person owes me money for damages to items that I had to replace. I had to spend MY money to replace those items. I am the one whose bank account took a hit because of his stupid actions.

I do not covet anything the guy has. He doesn't have anything for me to covet. 

Your words tell a different story.

And if I have to force him to give me what he has-money-then I will do so. Hopefully the case is settled soon and he abides by the court order to make restitution. If not, I will use any legal means to get him to repay me. If that means a lawsuit, so be it. If he can't fork over the money and his assets have to be seized and sold then fine with me, although I doubt this would ever happen because the fool has no assets. The only other thing left would be to garnish his work wages, and I have no qualms about doing that, even if it means his child support does not get paid. After all, he wasn't thinking about his child the night he took something from my family.

NO! definately not.

We (God fearing believers) are not to be OF this world (Word).

Another place tells us; Not to be entangled with the ways of this world (Word).

Do unto others as you would do unto the Lord (Word). Would you sue your Lord and Savior?

If you do it to one of the least in my kingdom; you have done it unto me (Word).

Doing something of this manner is nothing but the flesh and you are being just as vile as the rest of the world.

HE tells us to; Be separated from this world. Don't do as they do. (Word)

We can find a scripture to use for self justification; but, it is not self that can justify anything. God Bless

What does this mean?.......(Word)

it is quoting WORD, that is written in the WORD.

Understood. Thank you.   :)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

By the way, there is a Biblical basis for suing someone. And trust me, I have tried to settle my issue with the man. In fact, he promised me 2 times he would pay me.

One time he told me that "in 2 weeks I will be paying you in full". Another time he told me "I will bring you part of the money after I get off work this evening".  Even though I did not believe him, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and was hopeful he meant what he said. That 2 weeks expired last October.

Now for the Biblical basis.

If the biblical pattern for reconciliation has been followed and the offending party is still in the wrong, in some instances a lawsuit might be justified.

Matthew 18:15–17

]15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

In my case, I have witnesses to his statements that he will repay me as soon as possible. One of them is his daddy. We didn't tell it to the church because he does not go to church. Even if he did, I would not do that because this does not pertain to a spiritual matter.

Should Christians take each other to court over church matters? Absolutely not! Should Christians take each other to court over civil matters? If it can in any way be avoided, no. Should Christians take non-Christians to court over civil matters? Again, if it can be avoided, no. However, in some instances, such as the protection of our own rights it may be appropriate to pursue a legal solution.

man, you missed the point. I do NOT covet his money or anything of his. I certainly don't covet his dog. I would not have his dog. ALL I WANT IS FOR HIM TO REPAY ME WHAT HE OWES ME. No more, no less. I hope you NEVER have to go through what my family did on Feb. 13, 2012. I hope YOU never have to watch a 4 year old child throw up because she is terrified. I hope YOU never have to hear that child ask are the doors locked (they were that night) so the bad man won't come in again and if the doors are locked when we leave so the bad man won't come in and kill the dogs. I hope YOU never have to see the terror that child still shows whenever someone knocks on the door. THESE are the things that mere money will not help with. The only recourse I have is to get MY money to replace perfectly good things. We had to put a new roof on hold because we had to replace those things. Today I am still waiting to get it back so I can get the roof.

I can be grateful that he hasn't lied to me anymore with his promises to get it to me. The amount is less than $1000. For me, that might as well be a million dollars because I am not wealthy and as I stated my bank account took a big hit and has not recovered.

Edited by Kali_Ko_Kat

Now for the Biblical basis.

If the biblical pattern for reconciliation has been followed and the offending party is still in the wrong, in some instances a lawsuit might be justified.

Matthew 18:15–17

15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

So what exactly does that mean? "Let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector"

Personally, I don't see anything in that passage that justifies taking someone to court. And just so you know, I'm not judging you. If you feel you're in the right, go for it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

1 Corinthians 6:1-8

Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.

Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?

Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

I think its pretty clear, a christian is NOT to sue another christian. The Bible, however, is silent on whether a christian sues a non christian or not, so I think some commen sense should be applied. I think its wrong for christians to be caught up in frivolous lawsuits-(such as sueing mcdonalds for making them fat) But I think there are legitimate times where a lawsuit was called for-for example, if you are injured because of a faulty product that the company knew was faulty and sold anyway.

I thought of this Scripture, too!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Personally, if this is something your considering, if the other person claims to be a christian, I would not sue him, the Bible is clear about that. Yes, what he did to your property was wrong-but according to scripture, sueing him would be wrong and two wrongs don't make a right.

If he is not a christian, the Bible does not say you cannot sue him, and I think you have the right to expect him to repay you damages. I cannot fault you, or anyone else for it. But on the other note, hes not a christian-we need to witness to them. If its an individual basis, like I said earlier, I personally, would not sue, this would be one of those situations where I would turn the other cheek, after all, property and money are simply material possessions, things of tihis world-and you forgiving him his debt to you, may plant a seed, and lead him to an eternal treasure, and that, my friend is priceless. So, if you can afford to replace the items he damaged-I would, and forgive him for that. Now, that doesnt mean you have to trust him with your money or possesions again (if its a case of borrowed something and broke it and whatnot)

So my advice is, if he is a unbeliever, I don't believe its a sin to sue him-but on the same note, I think it would be wise to forgive and forget. that is my .02 cents.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Answer:

Should Christians take each other to court?Absolutely not! Should Christians take each other to court over civil matters? If it can in any way be avoided,no.However,in some instances,such as,protection of our own rights,it may be appropriate to pursue a legal solution.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I can not give a simple yes or no answer to this question. It would depend on the reasoning behind it. What was done. Rather or not the person owns up to what they did. And what harm has it caused you and much more. Lets say if someone caused you harm in such a way that you can no longer earn a living. And they refuse to help you or own up to what they did. Then I would say you have little other choice then to sue them. Yet this is one of them very personal issues. It may or may not be in God's will for your life to sue so and so for the wrong they did to you. The right answer for what you should do would require prayer and much thought.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

In my case, I have witnesses to his statements that he will repay me as soon as possible. One of them is his daddy. We didn't tell it to the church because he does not go to church. Even if he did, I would not do that because this does not pertain to a spiritual matter.

Something to consider: the Bible does have things to say about the value of your word.

I don't know what his problem is for not keeping his word, but it's not doing him good to let his sin fester. There are ways to hold someone accountable in love. I don't know what that is per se, but I am praying right now that you can hear the Holy Spirit give you clear direction for this.

Can you talk to his daddy and/or the other witnesses about this?

Perhaps he hasn't paid back because he doesn't have that much money to give up front; is it possible to work out a gradual re-payment?

Prayers and blessings that this comes together for good.