• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

It's here I think

You have to sign in to read it, but using the proff's name and university, you can find snippets around ....it's a recent study apparently

There is also THIS  which is where I got the link for the actual article/study

The paper concludes that: "Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better'."

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It's here I think

You have to sign in to read it, but using the proff's name and university, you can find snippets around ....it's a recent study apparently

The paper concludes that: "Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better'."

Interestingly, there was other research done that indicates faith/religion/diety-belief is hard-wired into the brain. That is, parts of the brain activate with religious activity (meditation, prayer, speaking in tongues) as if they were meant to be used for this function.

Are "intellectuals" deficient in these brain cells?

Sometimes, I think I am. :( Either that, or the neural connection enabeling them to work properly is out of whack.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

It's here I think

Interestingly, there was other research done that indicates faith/religion/diety-belief is hard-wired into the brain. That is, parts of the brain activate with religious activity (meditation, prayer, speaking in tongues) as if they were meant to be used for this function.

Sometimes, I think I am. :( Either that, or the neural connection enabeling them to work properly is out of whack.

Notably, the same areas of the brain activate for certain 'super-brands' that have successfully paired themselves with religious ideals, such as Apple.  There's a totally fascinating documentary about it from the BBC.

I firing my neurons....double jeopardy...get it?

Apart from that, 

NEB Interestingly, there was other research done that indicates faith/religion/diety-belief is hard-wired into the brain. That is, parts of the brain activate with religious activity (meditation, prayer, speaking in tongues) as if they were meant to be used for this function.

Sometimes, I think I am.  :( Either that, or the neural connection enabeling them to work properly is out of whack.

I'm not sure I follow why you think you might be deficient?

I was taught, along with a lot of other people, how to hear the voice of God. But while the others caught on, I didn't. Sigh.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

When it comes down to it, it all depends upon who is doing the study, i.e., one from a secular or one from a religious analysis.  A study from a secular source is apt to be bias, and not look at all of the religious data to form his viewpoint,  and vice versa.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Brings to mind, 'lean not on your own understanding' it can be our greatest enemy.

The footsteps of the righteous are ordered...

Also IQ stays in the ground and even in this journey it can leave us.

All is well that ends well.

Interesting read.

I was taught, along with a lot of other people, how to hear the voice of God. But while the others caught on, I didn't. Sigh.

Oh.  Well that is why I lean so heavily on the Bible...I want to make sure I'm not hearing things...I've known so many who run with what they hear even if it

contradicts the Bible, that I really would have a process before making personal application unless it's a definate answer to prayer.  Perhaps, Neb, it's not

the worst thing   :)

Oh.  Well that is why I lean so heavily on the Bible...I want to make sure I'm not hearing things...I've known so many who run with what they hear even if it

contradicts the Bible, that I really would have a process before making personal application unless it's a definate answer to prayer.  Perhaps, Neb, it's not

Except that I'm not referrng to "hearing Go" for doctrine but about things like making decisions, discernment into a situation, and the like - things which you can't pull verses out os Scripture to answer.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

When your entire world is collapsing around you, your heart is broken with pain, and your mind is cracking with loss - and even as you're feeling all of this there is an ever-present peace that wraps you up and holds you together and reason tells you that there is nothing within your own thoughts which can be producing this peace;  that is the peace that passes understanding.  That's what God's voice sounds like.  It's the still waters in the storm.  Once it is recognised it is easier to recognise that it is always there during the good times as well.  I once described the voice of God this way to an atheist psychologist.  He assured me I was the most sane person he'd ever had in his office.  =o)