missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

And then there are the homeless who have mental disorders - not all of course, but there are some.

(Just noting that "solving the problem" is a bit more complicated than and ideal solution can fix.)

But job creation would help with some.

Many have mental disorders so many or them can not work.Since they have mental disorders and usually will not take a prescribed medication they end up self medicating themselves with alcohol and drugs.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,722
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Instead of illegalizing it, why dont they just give them jobs. I mean seriously, instead of hiring some punk high school kid to mow and clean up public spaces, pay a homeless person to do it.

Some do not want jobs.They want the cash to buy whatever they need and sometimes that is alcohol and drugs.

in that case, kick them out. I say offer them a job. If they refuse send them packing. Though, by in large youll find quite a few homeless who are willing to work-but are unable to, mainly because they are homeless. I mean seriously, how hard is it to find a job when you have no home address, no drivers license, no car, etc.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

There are also common sense issues that MUST be dealt with:  public health, sanitation, and disease control - to name a few. Another problem involves the ownership of the property they're occupying and what they're doing with it. You could guess what many business owners have to do before they can open their businesses in the morning. Think the worst and you have it. Property owners also have rights, but let's say you want to be nice and allow the homeless to use your property. Guess who's responsible for cleaning things up and meeting health regulations. You are, and you're fined if you fail to meet the health codes. By the way, other property owners close to your property might also have damages they could collect because of losses related to what you allow on your property. The problem is more complicated than you can imagine.

There are also common sense issues that MUST be dealt with:  public health, sanitation, and disease control - to name a few. Another problem involves the ownership of the property they're occupying and what they're doing with it. You could guess what many business owners have to do before they can open their businesses in the morning. Think the worst and you have it. Property owners also have rights, but let's say you want to be nice and allow the homeless to use your property. Guess who's responsible for cleaning things up and meeting health regulations. You are, and you're fined if you fail to meet the health codes. By the way, other property owners close to your property might also have damages they could collect because of losses related to what you allow on your property. The problem is more complicated than you can imagine.

You have a point, but the city's so called solution is not going to work. The "move along" solution still doesn't fix the problem. It just moves it to a new location and gives it to a new property owner(s). I'm sure they'll be pleased.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

And then there are the homeless who have mental disorders - not all of course, but there are some.

(Just noting that "solving the problem" is a bit more complicated than and ideal solution can fix.)

But job creation would help with some.

Many have mental disorders so many or them can not work.Since they have mental disorders and usually will not take a prescribed medication they end up self medicating themselves with alcohol and drugs.

Sorry, I meant job creation would help some oft eh homeless in general. I didn't mean the ones with mental disorders. Sorry I did not clarify this.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,722
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

And I don't buy mental disorders. Sure there are some but no matter where I go by in large homeless people are healthy fit human beings. and for the record I've seen quite a few mentally challenged people who do work for a living, doesn't take a college degree to pick up trash and cut down weeds.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

And I don't buy mental disorders. Sure there are some but no matter where I go by in large homeless people are healthy fit human beings. and for the record I've seen quite a few mentally challenged people who do work for a living, doesn't take a college degree to pick up trash and cut down weeds.

I did not mean to imply all were like this. But I have encountered some with mental disorders. Forcing them into a work commitment is not a very feasible plan. Have you ever interacted with someone who is genuinely schizophrenic?

My initial point wasn't against a work program to fight homelessness; rather, it was to make the note that it cannot be a cure-all to the entire problem. The world is just too broken for easy cures.

But I do agree that creating jobs will help a lot of the people.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,484
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 Thess 3:10-11

10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
NKJV

Hunger motivates beyond description...  Love, Steven

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I have been working with the homeless for many years.  All of your concerns are legitimate and have been a concern in many cases, especially when there has been a homeless community created in a small area.  Even in the rural area I live in, within these communities the trash and waste are issues. Disease is also an issue since many of them do not have health insurance. I can understand how this can be a really bigger issues when there are no wooded areas for them to camp, but are living in alleys and doorways.

The comments that have me shaking my head are those about the persons ability to work.  A large percentage of those whom I work with have mental health issues, even though homelessness has happened to doctors and those with masters degrees.  But let's talk about those with mental health issues.

Depression, anxiety, bi-polar, OCD, higher levels of PTSD, panic disorder and social disorders are not so easy to notice when you meet someone for the first time, especially if you do not communicate with them one on one.  They look just as normal as the next person with no issues.  Those with development disorders, psychosis and schizophrenia is easier to notice. To say that "they look perfectly fine to me" is a mistake many people who really don't understand mental health issues make.  There are those who truly cannot hold a job, even when they try time and time again.  There are those who just do not function in society well.  I can tell you in all honesty, they do not like being who they are.  Many times, grown adults have broken down in tears wishing they did not have these issues and could just live a "normal" life.

At the same time, I have come across some who are very capable of working, but have learned how to play the system well enough to gain gain access to SSDI, just enough income to survive, and they are happy with this.  Most of those in this group that I personally have come across is the younger generation, age 30 and below.  These are those who want others to pay their way in life so they don't have to work, but just live a life they are satisfied with.  They have no desire to move out of poverty.

Before anyone uses a blanket statement toward the homeless population, they should really walk among them, get to know them and even try walking in their shoes for a time to better understand what they are really talking about.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

Let's not use sarcasm with a thread that has been pretty serious up to now.  I have hidden the last two replies to keep this thread on track.