• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I saw this tonight.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/why-obese-people-cant-lose-weight

So apparently not everything is easy for fat folks. 

I feel full after just a few bites. I eat very little. Ask my hubby. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/24/1957

I'm about to be more honest then i have ever been with you all ever before, because I think this is a very important subject as many have been hurt/wounded in this thread.

it's a FACT that over weight people in this country are treated as if they don't deserve to breath air!..Their called horrible names....

I Happen to over weight, and have been on the recieving side of those scornful  look's,snickered at, out right Laughed at, I can forgive them and do, because they are judging with out knowing the whole story.

This started in 2008,

as i posted earlier in this thread, I lost both of my parent's to cancer 16 month's apart, Then I had to have 3 surgeries...I had to have my left knee replaced, and on April 1st of all day's..Good thing I'm not superstious ..LOL , then I had to have a life saving surgery, that literally had me layed up in bed from november to march,,tied to a wound Vac( if you don't know what that is google it)....so I lost all the use in my left leg that i had gained, so i had to work to get it back,I have gained some of it back, but not all of it,Then I had Shingles, was layed up again....and had to take prednizone again,then i had to have my gall bladder out this past march..layed up again...

The life saving surgery left nerve damage as well, healing from my gall bladder surgery has been very slow, i'm still recovering..some day's the only relief i get is to lay down.....so i can't stand for long and walking is still tricky......

Ever feel like you've been drug thru a knot hole by you're feet?? this is how it feel's..LOL

and then to be judged by my appearence  is the last straw!

None of us know what another person is going thru.....

look's can be decieving!..Daddy alway's said believe half of what you hear and a third of what you see!

many many people can't afford a healthy diet, and don't have the mean's to do any better....GE, what you did for those girl's is to be commended!......

This is what we the church should be about,,NOT picking at one another over thing's such as this! and who know's GE perhap's your gift to them,made a impression on the parent's as well...

There are two motto's that i live my life by,

" So you want to be great, then learn how to heal people, to hurt people is easy"

" Be kinder then you have to be, because you just never know what battle someone else is fighting"

well let's make that three..the third one is the "Great Commission" and the second one is like unto it, to love my neighbor as i love myself!

It break's my heart to see all the hurting in this thread,to see the unshed tears...and the ones that are shed.....we are to be better then this!

I simple can't imagine JESUS saying " you over there , yes you the Fat one..get it together, this is a sin!"

can you??

and even those that do over eat, are simply masking a heart breaking problem, trying to fill an empty void in them selves with food....these hurting soul's need our love,not our judgment!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I knew a lady once who in her childhood was not allowed sweets.She loved chocolate.When she became an adult and moved away from home she could not get enough sweets and preferably chocolate.She became obese.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Societies in which food is more scarce, it is in style to be heavy, and it is skinny people who are looked down on. To be heavy means a person has worked hard, and made sufficient money to afford sufficient food. The skinny people might be lazy and do not work as hard.  Excess weight is not only a sign of a hard worker but one with money. Having excess weight is also a matter of survival, if food becomes more scarce.

So, the dislike of carrying excess weight, and the idea in a society that thin/skinny is better is because that society has enough abundance to support everyone putting on  weight. It is actually a more modern thing to think thin or skinny is better.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Overeating is also a sin. Would you agree?

What is the biblical definition of overeating?

That is an excellent question. Instead of one sentence questions or responses how about you attempt to answer this question this time. :) What is the Biblical definition of overeating?

God bless,

GE

To eat with thanks in order to nourish the body  is what we are supposed to do .. in doing we.is to glorify God.

To eat in excess of what we should would not glorify God as it would not benefit the body.

Its very simple you know :duh:

Nice and simple. I like it WIP. :thumbsup:

I also think moderation is key.

God bless,

GE

That is an excellent question. Instead of one sentence questions or responses how about you attempt to answer this question this time. :) What is the Biblical definition of overeating?

God bless,

GE

That's not how this works. It is your claim that overeating is a sin. If you're going to make this claim you need to be able to back up your words with scripture. 

That's all I'm asking. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

To eat with thanks in order to nourish the body  is what we are supposed to do .. in doing we.is to glorify God.

To eat in excess of what we should would not glorify God as it would not benefit the body.

Its very simple you know :duh:

Then any bit of junk food you ate, regardless of your weight, would be a sin.

God bless,

GE

That's not how this works. It is your claim that overeating is a sin. If you're going to make this claim you need to be able to back up your words with scripture. 

That's all I'm asking. 

That's all your asking... Right. You ask questions and give little if any answers. Interesting. :whistling:

How a discussion is supposed to work is that ideas or points are presented. These ideas or points are then discussed. Then counter ideas or points are presented to be discussed. And so on and so forth.

What ideas or points have you added to this discussion? Curious. :noidea:

But I will attempt to provide my thoughts on the matter and how I believe Scripture lines up with the concepts of gluttony and self-control.

Gluttony is a sin we as Christians tend to overlook or as Fez said we’re very soft on in the Church. Smoking and drinking in excess is not good for our bodies. Adultery, homosexuality, and sex outside of marriage is a sin for sure. Yet for some reason gluttony (overeating) is overlooked. It’s not comfortable to talk about.

Overeating is serious business. Just as serious as purposefully starving yourself (anorexia or bulimia).

Again, the drunkard and glutton will come to poverty.

Prov. 23:20-21

20 Be not among drunkards

or among gluttonous eaters of meat,

21 for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty,

and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Gluttony brings shame upon our parents and family.

Prov. 28:7

The one who keeps the law is a son with understanding,

but a companion of gluttons shames his father.

Overeating is a sign of lack of self-control. Perhaps if we’re unable to control our eating habits we might not be able to control our struggles in our mind either (coveting, lust, anger, pride, etc) as well as not being able to avoid other bad habits such as gossip or causing strife. It really all boils down to self-control.

We as Believers are called to self-control and to lead balanced lives. Self-control is one of the fruits of the Spirit specifically mentioned by Paul to the Galatians. There is also a direct correlation between knowledge, self-control, and steadfastness according to Peter.

Gal. 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

2 Pet. 1:5-17

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

A person without self-control (in any area of life) is broken much like a city without walls.

Prov. 25:28

A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

God has given us who believe a spirit of power, love, and self-control.

2 Tim. 1:7

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Paul mentions disciplining his body… It’s a good thing.

1 Cor. 9:27

But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

We don’t have to be slaves to temptations…

1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

By God’s grace we can live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives even in this age.

Titus 2:11-14

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Does this make sense?

God bless,

GE