TsukinoRei

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

The term Christian was originally a term of derision given to followers of Christ by the Romans.  Some say it meant 'Little Christ', others that it meant 'Slaves of Christ'.  Either way it was a term of derision which those who chose to follow the teachings of Christ decided to embrace and wear with pride.  Today the term Christian is applied to a great many people of diverse beliefs and backgrounds.  Some people claim the name Christian because they were raised in a family with Christian traditions, though they are agnostic or atheist in their beliefs.  Some people claim the name Christian because they passionately believe in the standard Creeds.  Some people claim they are Christian because they believe they are in relationship with God through Jesus Christ.  When some people think of Christians, they think of people like Mother Teresa, who gave her all for the poor.  Or they think of a person in their lives who exemplified a Christ-like spirit.  When some people think of Christians they think of gossips, and back biters, and people who picket soldiers funerals, or worse - a spiritual leader who broke their trust.

What definition of Christian do you believe is worthy of the title, 'Little Christ' or 'Slave of Christ'?

What does such a Christian look like?  What behaviours and attitudes do you believe exemplify the life of Jesus Christ?

What do you believe a Christian does not look like?  What behaviours and attitudes, if any, do you believe would mean that a person is not worthy of the title?

Does the modern broadness of the term, in your opinion, reduce or alter the relevance of the term?

TsukinoRei, on 21 Sept 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

What definition of Christian do you believe is worthy of the title, 'Little Christ' or 'Slave of Christ'?

Someone who is Christlike.

What does such a Christian look like?  What behaviours and attitudes do you believe exemplify the life of Jesus Christ?

Sacrificial ( #1)

Mat 20:25-28  Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.  (26)  Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  (27)  and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--  (28)  just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

What do you believe a Christian does not look like?  What behaviours and attitudes, if any, do you believe would mean that a person is not worthy of the title?

Self-righteousness

Pro 16:18-19  Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  (19)  Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

Does the modern broadness of the term, in your opinion, reduce or alter the relevance of the term?

Yes.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've heard that the term Christian meant "Christ-like."

In any event, what makes a Christian is someone who confesses Jesus as Lord and received His salvation through His death and resurrection (Romans 10:9-10).

Walking with Jesus is a process of crucifying your flesh (pride, arrogance, vanity, greed, selfishness, lusts, etc.), yielding to the Spirit, loving God above all things, loving your neighbor as yourself, bearing the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, etc.), laying down your life for God and for others, worshiping the Lord God, praying to Him, loving the Brethren (John 15:12-17), etc.

Or it should. 

A Christian is not someone who merely regards Jesus as a great teacher, follows Christian tradition, regards all faiths as equal, trusts in their good deeds as a merit of God's favor, and the like. The whole basis of being a Christian begins with being grafted into the Vine and continues with bearing fruit; but those that do not bear fruit are cut off and thrown away (John 15:1-8). 

Does that mean Christians won't be jerks at times? No, for the crucifying of the flesh is a lifelong process, and while we can be faithful in some areas we often fumble in other areas. Yes, ideally a Christian will be defined by love, but sadly we don't know enough about what love looks like to get there. Some Christians rely on the world's idea of "love" to define love. Some Christians think love is about rebuking sin where they see it. If I was more creative in thought I could compile a whole list of incorrect perceptions we have on what it means to love, and even hindrances to walking in love (such as incorrect training while being raised, unhealed wounds that we cover with blame-shifting and the like).

Is a Christian defined through altruism? No, for even atheists and pagans can be altruistic.

As for the last question, is the understanding of what a Christian is a muddled understanding? Yes. But if confessing Jesus as Lord and Savior became punishable by lawsuit, imprisonment, or death, our whole understanding of who is a Christ-follower and who was a Christian in name only would come to light.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you for two awesome answers!

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

The term Christian was originally a term of derision given to followers of Christ by the Romans.  Some say it meant 'Little Christ', others that it meant 'Slaves of Christ'.  Either way it was a term of derision which those who chose to follow the teachings of Christ decided to embrace and wear with pride ...

I don't know many prideful Christians, which is a contradiction in terms.

And it was in Antioch, not Rome, that the disciples were first called Christians (Acts 11:26) or "Christ's men," a term used mainly by outsiders.

Luke simply referred to Christianity as 'the Way" (Acts 19:9) and to themselves as followers of it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all,

1  I have never heard the term "little Christ" But if someone ever referred to me in that way I would really be honored

I know they knicknamed the Lords disciples "Christianoi"in Antioch which means" followers of Christ" and I believe that is an accurate description and worthy of the title

2 I think a Christian can look like anyone but they should display kindness,gentleness,humility,patience,generosity and love

3 A person who is puffed up,arrogant,short tempered,mean,selfish and angry and thinks themselves to be a Christian should not tell anyone because they set a very bad example

4Yes,I do think so...the relevance has greatly been reduced by people who do not walk in spirit and in truth,not mindful of who they represent.I think the carnal Christian has been a very bad example and the term is is used so loosely....I know personally,even when I have days where I am just not lined up with the Holy Spirit and feeling very carnal minded I am first and foremost an Ambassador for Christ Jesus(the King of Kings)and I would much rather stay in the house and not talk to anyone rather than disrespecting the Name that is above all Names....We are all a process of repentance and are still human and will make mistakes but  we (more than anyone else)are constantly under a microscope and should be well aware that the world is watching....Glory to God

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The first chapter I highlighted in my Bible when I read the New Testament was 1 Corinthians 13. Loving the unlovable and forgiving the unforgivable are the first lessons that God began teaching me, and I don't think we will completely grasp the heights and depths of God's love till we see Him face to face. But as He transforms us into His image, these are the qualities that perhaps set us apart. He also makes us into servents, people who express love in tangible ways such as with their words of encouragement and helping others. We are willing not just to wash feet in a church service, but to clean a bathroom, help to remodel a house gratis, give their new clothes to the poor, visit the dying, minister to those in prison, or adopt orphans. True Christians don't broadcast their good deeds from the rooftops. They do them often in secret.

The media has done much to melign Christians. They always put crosses on the bad guys, the gangsters, those in street gangs and those in evil motor cycle gangs. They make movies about the pastors that fall or who were never genuine Christians to begin with, and all the notoriety is also about them. All of us have known pastors who have sinned dreadfully but screamed from the pulpit about the sins of others. They do need our prayers, but I don't believe that they fill the requirements of an elder or should remain in leadership. Nor should we be in leadership if we are bad examples. We are all very human and prone to sin (1 Cor. 10:12), and we all nead each others prayers to stay strong in the lord and in the power of His might.

We also need to give room to allow others to grow. It is not our place to be "fruit inspectors". It is especially easy for new Christians to criticise others for not growing in the area they have been growing in and not see the other areas that others have grown in. So often I will finally learn something that another believer learned when they were first saved. We don't grow uniformly as Christians but each is unique. So it is difficult to say "this is what a Christian should do or look like." But we should all change to have more Christ like attitudes in some way and to some degree, even if it just is to be more aware of the sin in our lives. The people who think they have arrived and are now perfect are like the fable of The Emporer's New Clothes. Con men had sold him an invisible suit so he was gullible and appeared in public naked. Everyone else can see our nakedness, especially God. Our sins are always visible to others. Rev. 3:17-19.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Interesting question. Nobody is worthy and there is no particular look or style. A Christian is someone who sincerely accepts the gospel.

rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I have to confess, though, that I often was ashamed of showing myself to be a Christian because I am so imperfect. :(