WIP

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Reading through many posts I can clearly see that there are some very different mind sets here ..1). .there are those who really take exception to those who admonish them....and then you get   2).... those who take on board what is being said to them and admit that they were  wrong, and move on. 3) those who realize that they are wrong but refuse to admit it, holding to their own opinion regardless.

Now which are you? ..lets me very honest here. 

We are told that we need to admonish one another when necessary :

Col 3:16   Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between admonishing and judging.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

If someone I respected told me to take a good look at my heart I would really listen to that.Someone who I looked up to as a Christian.I can admit when I am wrong and repent of that.Just ask my family :mgcheerful: .I think those who know they are doing wrong and will not admit it are in somewhat of a dangerous position.You can figure out from my statement where I stand.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

That I believe is the right attitude Bopeep :grin:  we really need to listen to others before just dismissing what they have to say and be mature enough to take some admonishing even if it hurts, after  thats one of the ways we grow in The Lord.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Unfortunately, there are a few people I've "run into" at Worthy who treat their opinion as absolute undeniable fact.  For themselves, they can never be wrong.  Even when they're right, such people make very poor conversation/discussion.  I have been "spoken to" very harshly and cruelly by them simply for suggesting a different point of view from them.  It makes for a  very poor testimony of those who are supposedly the body of Christ when they act as n enemy against anyone who would dare disagree with them.  Let's pray that we will all unite as one in Christ.  It's all pride, really.  You can't take admonishment or accept others' differences when you're infallible.  Wait a minute, God's infallible and yet accepts us just the way we are (through the blood of the Lamb who takes away our sin)...

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  Can we at least be humble enough to accept that admonishing fom God's holy Word?  I think so...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Good timing for the topic, thanks.  Last night I thought about creating a new topic in the Problems section, but will just add to this.

I've been admonished by my boss/housemate for years, sometimes with threats & insults/curses.

Last night I was admonished, and apologized a number of times & admitted I was wrong & tried to answer the questions he asked me.  When he's upset with me, it is difficult to speak to him because he says I'm speaking foolishly, and doesn't want to talk to me. 

I choose my words very carefully and strive not to allow emotion into my factual responses.  I sometimes ask to pray, but he often says I'm misdirecting.

As the years have gone by with this, I get the shakes and have stomach pain after being admonished (despite trying to stay calm & rooted in Christ) and bad sleep the night of admonishment.

I sometimes wish the Lord would return soon or that my time on Earth would end so that I might not be a problem for him any more.  I've gone through Biblical counseling over this subject a year or two ago. 

Anyway, praise be to God!  Peace to His people on earth.  Hope you all deal w/admonishment well!

Praying, Jeff!  Don't worry, you weren't born to spend your life serving him, but to serve the Lord God Almighty alone.  He's a wonderful master, brother and friend.  I pray He shows you the way through and therefore out of this situation.

:th_praying:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

This OP is pretty loaded. Who is going to think that they don't take reasonable correction? Everyone thinks that, and everyone thinks that everyone else is unreasonable. That is a foregone conclusion.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I think the clue lies in your last statement... "huge difference between admonishing and judging"

On this forum I see much more of the former and not much of the latter.

This OP is pretty loaded. Who is going to think that they don't take reasonable correction? Everyone thinks that, and everyone thinks that everyone else is unreasonable. That is a foregone conclusion.

Not everyone.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

We often wield a sword to cut others down that is not ours to wield.

It's the Sword of the Word we should be using not the sword of the world.

But we are who we are, and the person we should admonish the most is probably our self.

Do this and you can probably admonish others, and accept admonishment with truth.

And truth rests in grace.