• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

Well, goodbye gas station attendants.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/28/robot-gas-pumps-ready-to-fill-your-tank/?intcmp=HPBucket

Face it, American driver, you will soon be obsolete.

As the advent of autonomous cars approaches so comes the robot gas station attendant.

Working in conjunction with Sweden’s Fuelmatics, industrial fueling products giant Husky Corporation has developed an automatic refueling system that could redefine the term “self serve” and send the last of the gas jockeys to the unemployment line.

The robotic pump uses cameras to locate the fuel door on the vehicle, which it opens with a suction cup, and guide the nozzle into the hole.

A magnetic reed switch then interacts with a special capless fuel filler installed on the car to determine when it has been inserted far enough to begin fueling.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

i grew up working at my dad's gas station.... the thought of this is disturbing

soo much to go wrong.

i grew up working at my dad's gas station.... the thought of this is disturbing

soo much to go wrong.

I see your point.

I read an article saying that autonomous vehicles already drive better than human drivers.

It also said that the amount of money that would be saved because of less accidents, savings on gas,

and less traffic was in the 100's of billions per year.

Its right around the corner.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

What? I pump my own gas already. Unless you live in a nutty state that is the case. An automated system would likely be safer anyway.

What happens when there are gas attendants who come pump your gas? The cost is shuffled to you, by increased gas prices. If the automated system is cheaper, it will decreases costs for everyone and through the forces of competition end up meaning more money for you to spend elsewhere.

I pump my own gas too.I prefer it that way.I sure hate to see attendants layed off.I hate to see anyone get layed off because of technology.I was at the bank today.I could see banking going all technology and getting rid of tellers.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I pump my own gas too.I prefer it that way.I sure hate to see attendants layed off.I hate to see anyone get layed off because of technology.I was at the bank today.I could see banking going all technology and getting rid of tellers.

or moving them to school.  Our bank just hired 7 new people to help keep up with all the new banking laws that will go into effect Jan 1.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I read an article saying that autonomous vehicles already drive better than human drivers.

It also said that the amount of money that would be saved because of less accidents, savings on gas,

With the quality of today's drivers, that wouldn't take much. I don't know what it is but you take a good, smart, safe person and put him behind the wheel of a car and he/she turns into an absolute moron. Maybe there's some kind of brain control device in the steering wheel that does this.

With the quality of today's drivers, that wouldn't take much. I don't know what it is but you take a good, smart, safe person and put him behind the wheel of a car and he/she turns into an absolute moron. Maybe there's some kind of brain control device in the steering wheel that does this.

:24:

Instant moron, just add vehicle?

Sorry, couldn't help that one. I know about the morons behind the wheel. Try being a pedestrian in a big city at the tail end of rush hour. I almost got run over by one of the morons this morning on the way home from work. The jerk didn't want to wait for me to get even half way across the street in the crosswalk. Kinda thing makes me want to carry a bowling ball and take out their windscreen. Something's gotta teach 'em better manners . . . :whistling:

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Well, what can I say. I already lost my career job back in the mid 80's due to a computer. In my case they still needed a person to operate the computer, but anyone could do that, and that person wouldn't get the salary I was getting. 

The problem here is as we keep putting people out of work with technology, what are we going to do with all the unemployed people? Young people keep getting married and wanting babies. But there are less and less jobs for when these babies grow up. Too much technology is proving to be a bad thing.

Btw, I read something yesterday about 30 - 40% of young Japanese people don't want sex, marriage, nor babies. Especially with all the disasters that have hit Japan in the past few years, a lot of young people don't want to make things worse by bringing babies into their world which can barely give them a job and a place to live. I think we may have to do the same thing. Either that or kill all robots.