Swoosh

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, I am accountable for my choices to an extent. If I know the consequences of my actions and I perform that action, then I am responsible for that.

But I would never willingly choose to be tortured forever. Who would? That's absurd. If my actions somehow lead to consequences I honestly didn't know would happen, I can't necessarily say I'm responsible for those consequences,especially when the consequences are brought on by someone else such as God who didn't adequately explain the consequences in a clear manner. Kind of like rules to a game. If the rule maker doesn't adequately explain the rules, how can he hold people who break them accountable?

John 3:16:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. :)

Dr.God did give a remedy for sin,you can apply it to your life or let the sin of unbelieve have it's way and that is ultimately  death. :(

Ok. Islam also gave me a proposed remedy to my "sickness". Radical Islam gives a proposed remedy to my sins. Buddhism (though not necessarily mutually exclusive with Christianity) gives a proposed remedy for my sickness too. Which one is right and how do I know? and what about the thousands of other proposed sicknesses and remedies out there? (in keeping with the analogy)

Did Mohammed carried your sins? What does Buddism promise you? I will garantee you that when you open the Bible --start to read in the book of John that God will open your heart for the TRUTH so you may understand otherwise he can harden your hearth also,the choice is your until the day when it's to late..

Lets reason and open your Bible and ask before you start reading if God will reveal Himself to you. ,it is YOU who has to make the dissicion,are you happy right now and look forward to the day to be absent from the body and to be walking on streets of gold?   I wouldn't even mention the other horrible place you will go if you don't make things right with God, you probably know the place I'm talking about?

Just be humble and bow your knees you will not be sorry you did. :)

As I've mention to someone on this thread, I've gone through the process of asking whatever God may be out there to reveal himself. If he doesn't, not much I can do about that.

I’m not seeing any absurdity here. If the consequence of unbelief is eternal punishment, and God has stated this, I’m not sure how you can plead ignorance. Are you saying you don’t understand the the consequences of your choice, as described by God, or that you don’t accept those consequences?

Here’s the rule so that you can be clear of God’s position and cannot claim He didn’t let you know.

Joh 5:24  "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

Rev 20:15  Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

And this goes back to the issue of why I should believe these are the rules and this is real, especially in the face of other proposed rules by other religions.  Part of clearly describing the consequences is distinguishing the truth from non-truth in a way that people fully understand. Then and only then can the consequences be fully on me. Quoting the Bible does not equal telling me why I should believe it is true. Shouldn't God know the potential confusion that not directly revealing himself may cause?

God has diagnosed your sickness as sin. If you’re in denial about your sickness you won’t seek help.

If God doesn't feel like/can't show himself to be true, or if others can't show him to be true, there is no denial. There's just me being unconvinced.

Are you saying you understand your position of rebellion against God and that you accept the only cure for your “sin sickness:” is to accept Jesus the Christ as your Lord and Saviour ?

No. I'm saying that I understand my position of skepticism and that the burden of proof is on people who make Christian claims, including this one. 

Okay! So once again...do you believe in the military exploits of Alexander the Great? Do you believe that living things evolved out of non-living matter? On what evidence do you hold these to be true it you do?

Brother Paul

Did I overlook that question? I didn't mean to if I did. I remember reading it and thought I answered these.

I don't believe in the military exploits of Alexander the Great. It would also depend on the individual exploits in question. Can't just lump them all together. Some claims may be true, some may be mere legends. 

I don't believe that living things evolved out of non-living matter either.

Remember, I'm simply saying I'm not convinced, not that these two things are impossible to have happened. Some people don't know the difference.

Guest shiloh357

While I appreciate you making sure, I am aware of the ways these religions view sin/suffering. Reading the context of what I said would help you out a bit. The point I was making is that these religions claim there is some type of "sickness" and describe a way to get rid of that sickness, whether it be good deeds, faith in Jesus, or trying to get rid of suffering through Nirvana. The other point of lumping them all together was that neither of them have evidence of this "sickness" and/or their supposed remedy. Of the religions I've mention, the closest one that comes to be confirmed is Buddhism's suffering. But its remedy of Nirvana has no evidence that I know of.

I understand your point.   I was saying that your point was wrong because your premise about other religions is wrong.   They dont view life in terms of  there being a "sickness" so there is no need for them to provide evidence of what they are not claiming in the first place.  YOU are assigning values to them and it is obvious that you don't know beans about these religions.  

Why would there need to be evidence of Nirvana???   Nirvana isn't a place; it's a state of being.  Nirvana isn't a remedy for suffering.  Nirvana is a state of being; it is a state of any and all loss of feeling.  It doesn't remove the suffering at all.  It doesn't mean that you don't suffer.  It's simply numbs a person to effects of suffering.  That is not a remedy by any stretch of the imagination.

Guest shiloh357

Okay! So once again...do you believe in the military exploits of Alexander the Great? Do you believe that living things evolved out of non-living matter? On what evidence do you hold these to be true it you do?

Brother Paul

Did I overlook that question? I didn't mean to if I did. I remember reading it and thought I answered these.

I don't believe in the military exploits of Alexander the Great. It would also depend on the individual exploits in question. Can't just lump them all together. Some claims may be true, some may be mere legends. 

I will give you credit for being internally consistent.   Your approach to history is absurd and nonsensical, but at least you are consistent.

When it comes to the way most Christians view the Bible, there is no room for being wrong as there is for historians and court cases. They completely believe it is true. Every detail. Not subject to change. My reason for asking the original question was to understand the source of this confidence.

The source is Faith, faith in the Most High God, and the fact that His Word is true. Now I know that's hard to understand, as believe it or not many of us were where you are right now.

Secondly and something I don't think you have been asked, and considering your requirement for proof of most things before you can believe them, 

Do you accept that the holocaust occurred and that 6,000,000 people were murdered?

I see what you're saying. And by "faith", can you define that? While it may seem like nitpicking, There are many different ways people use the word.

To answer that question, I would like to believe that people haven't been massively deceived by some kinda conspiracy to believe the Holocaust happened when it didn't, but I can't say with a large certainty that it did or didn't happen. I haven't actually looked into the issue enough to be able to make either statement. In a way, it would be awesome if it didn't happen, for obvious reasons. But I dont' know.

Guest shiloh357
To answer that question, I would like to believe that people haven't been massively deceived by some kinda conspiracy to believe the Holocaust happened when it didn't, but I can't say with a large certainty that it did or didn't happen

Okay this is a problem.  When it comes to the holocaust, We have millions of people who were confirmed killed in the camps.  We have Germans' own written records that listed the names of the people and the camps they died in.  Those are German, not Jewish records.  We have films and we have the testimonies of German military personnel who participated.  We have the testimony of German civilians who participated.  We have mutliple historical confirmation.   We still have front page newspaper articles that have been preserved from major cities in the US that reported on the concentration camps.  American soldiers who liberated the camps tell of what they saw and the dead bodies, the mass graves and the starving survivors.  We have the diary of Anne Frank which NO historian in his right mind disputes as authentic.  There are hundreds of thousands of books that have been written by historians and survivors provide a plethora of evidence for the horrors of what happened to the Jews and also the nonJews that suffered.   Even today, Germany doesn't deny this part of their history.  It is undeniableThen there are the thousands and thousands of survivors who have told their stories of what they suffered and the family members they lost and you have the nerve to claim that you can't really be sure if it happened or not?

Here you are saying that you need historical corroboration to confirm a story's truth and when  then when you have a historical event for which there are mountains of historical corroboration, you still can't bring yourself to believe that it really happened.   I was correct in my intitial assessment of you and your unreasonable request. You aren't looking for truth.   For you, there is no amount of historical corroboration that would suffice.  No one of even moderate intelligence questions the reality and factuality of the holocuast. No one.    That you can look at the mountain of historical proof for the Holocaust and still not accept fully that it happens, doesn't speak well of you.

I guess you also don't believe that there used to be slavery in the US and you don't believe we actually sent a man to the moon, because in terms of sheer volume, there is less evidence for slavery or an American astronaut on the moon than there is  for the Holocaust.

Swoosh, on 03 Dec 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

And this goes back to the issue of why I should believe these are the rules and this is real, especially in the face of other proposed rules by other religions.  Part of clearly describing the consequences is distinguishing the truth from non-truth in a way that people fully understand. Then and only then can the consequences be fully on me. Quoting the Bible does not equal telling me why I should believe it is true. Shouldn't God know the potential confusion that not directly revealing himself may cause?

Oh but Mr Swoosh; God has revealed himself to you but you insist it isn’t to your liking. Comparing this to your approach to historical authenticity it’s obvious you have a disability with distinguishing truth and you don't understand the futility of the self righteousness promoted by other religions..  It’s your choice to remain in your current state of unbelief and rebellion and hence the consequences are fully upon you.

If God doesn't feel like/can't show himself to be true, or if others can't show him to be true, there is no denial. There's just me being unconvinced.

Being unconvinced seems to be a hobby of yours. :D I suggest you attempt approaching your search with humility and new eyes. God is waiting to receive you.

No. I'm saying that I understand my position of skepticism and that the burden of proof is on people who make Christian claims, including this one. 

Yes your position of skepticism is an understandable condition of the rebellious human nature. God has adequately revealed Himself but it simply isn’t to your liking. I suggest you look harder and accept responsibility for your condition and call upon the Name of Jesus to lead you into the light.. You will be pleased you do.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Swoosh, on 03 Dec 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Oh but Mr Swoosh; God has revealed himself to you but you insist it isn’t to your liking. Comparing this to your approach to historical authenticity it’s obvious you have a disability with distinguishing truth and you don't understand the futility of the self righteousness promoted by other religions..  It’s your choice to remain in your current state of unbelief and rebellion and hence the consequences are fully upon you.

Being unconvinced seems to be a hobby of yours. :D I suggest you attempt approaching your search with humility and new eyes. God is waiting to receive you.

Yes your position of skepticism is an understandable condition of the rebellious human nature. God has adequately revealed Himself but it simply isn’t to your liking. I suggest you look harder and accept responsibility for your condition and call upon the Name of Jesus to lead you into the light.. You will be pleased you do.

well said

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

This is what the Bible says  about  pride:

Pride

Proverbs 16:5 ESV / 226 helpful votes

Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished.

Proverbs 11:2 ESV / 192 helpful votes

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 29:23 ESV / 187 helpful votes

One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.

Galatians 6:3 ESV / 151 helpful votes

For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

Proverbs 16:18 ESV / 132 helpful votes

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Jeremiah 9:23 ESV / 93 helpful votes

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches,

Proverbs 26:12 ESV / 93 helpful votes

Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Proverbs 27:2 ESV / 82 helpful votes

Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.

James 4:6 ESV / 73 helpful votes

But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

Philippians 2:3 ESV / 54 helpful votes

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Romans 12:16 ESV / 46 helpful votes

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.

1 John 2:16 ESV / 44 helpful votes

For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

2 Timothy 3:2 ESV / 40 helpful votes

For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,

1 Corinthians 13:4 ESV / 38 helpful votes

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant

Romans 12:2 ESV / 35 helpful votes

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

2 Corinthians 10:12 ESV / 34 helpful votes

Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.

Romans 11:17-21 ESV / 34 helpful votes

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you.

Proverbs 11:12 ESV / 34 helpful votes

Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.

Proverbs 8:13 ESV / 34 helpful votes

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

1 Timothy 6:4 ESV / 32 helpful votes

He is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions,

Proverbs 30:12 ESV / 30 helpful votes

There are those who are clean in their own eyes but are not washed of their filth.

Proverbs 25:27 ESV / 29 helpful votes

It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory.

2 Corinthians 12:7 ESV / 27 helpful votes

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.

Proverbs 25:14 ESV / 27 helpful votes

Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of a gift he does not give.

1 Peter 5:5 ESV / 26 helpful votes

Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”

2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV / 26 helpful votes

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV / 26 helpful votes

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 10:18 ESV / 23 helpful votes

For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

1 Corinthians 10:12 ESV / 22 helpful votes

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.

Romans 15:17 ESV / 22 helpful votes

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God.

Obadiah 1:3 ESV / 22 helpful votes

The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rock, in your lofty dwelling, who say in your heart, “Who will bring me down to the ground?”

Mark 7:21 ESV / 21 helpful votes

For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,

Proverbs 15:12 ESV / 21 helpful votes

A scoffer does not like to be reproved; he will not go to the wise.

Proverbs 10:17 ESV / 21 helpful votes

Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.

Ezekiel 28:17 ESV / 20 helpful votes

Your heart was proud because of your beauty; you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor. I cast you to the ground; I exposed you before kings, to feast their eyes on you.

1 Timothy 2:9 ESV / 19 helpful votes

Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire,

Proverbs 12:15 ESV / 19 helpful votes

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

Revelation 3:17 ESV / 18 helpful votes

For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

1 Samuel 2:3-5 ESV / 18 helpful votes

Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble bind on strength. Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread, but those who were hungry have ceased to hunger. The barren has borne seven, but she who has many children is forlorn.

Proverbs 21:24 ESV / 17 helpful votes

“Scoffer” is the name of the arrogant, haughty man who acts with arrogant pride.

2 Chronicles 26:16-19 ESV / 17 helpful votes

But when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction. For he was unfaithful to the Lord his God and entered the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the altar of incense. But Azariah the priest went in after him, with eighty priests of the Lord who were men of valor, and they withstood King Uzziah and said to him, “It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the Lord, but for the priests, the sons of Aaron, who are consecrated to burn incense. Go out of the sanctuary, for you have done wrong, and it will bring you no honor from the Lord God.” Then Uzziah was angry. Now he had a censer in his hand to burn incense, and when he became angry with the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead in the presence of the priests in the house of the Lord, by the altar of incense.

1 Corinthians 10:30-33 ESV / 16 helpful votes

If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Jeremiah 13:15 ESV / 16 helpful votes

Hear and give ear; be not proud, for the Lord has spoken.

Isaiah 5:15 ESV / 16 helpful votes

Man is humbled, and each one is brought low, and the eyes of the haughty are brought low.

Psalm 101:5 ESV / 16 helpful votes

Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure.

1 Peter 5:3 ESV / 15 helpful votes

Not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.

Romans 12:3 ESV / 15 helpful votes

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

Romans 1:22 ESV / 15 helpful votes

Claiming to be wise, they became fools,

Proverbs 28:25 ESV / 15 helpful votes

A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched.

Proverbs 6:16 ESV / 15 helpful votes

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him:

1 Corinthians 5:6 ESV / 14 helpful votes

Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

1 Corinthians 3:18 ESV / 14 helpful votes

Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

Matthew 23:10-12 ESV / 14 helpful votes

Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ. The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Proverbs 16:19 ESV / 14 helpful votes

It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Psalm 75:4-6 ESV / 14 helpful votes

I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn; do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.’” For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up,

Esther 6:6 ESV / 14 helpful votes

So Haman came in, and the king said to him, “What should be done to the man whom the king delights to honor?” And Haman said to himself, “Whom would the king delight to honor more than me?”

1 Corinthians 15:31 ESV / 13 helpful votes

I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

1 Corinthians 14:38 ESV / 13 helpful votes

If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

1 Corinthians 8:2 ESV / 12 helpful votes

If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.

Luke 1:51 ESV / 12 helpful votes

He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;

Daniel 4:30-34 ESV / 12 helpful votes

And the king answered and said, “Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?” While the words were still in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, “O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: The kingdom has departed from you, and you shall be driven from among men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. And you shall be made to eat grass like an ox, and seven periods of time shall pass over you, until you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will.” Immediately the word was fulfilled against Nebuchadnezzar. He was driven from among men and ate grass like an ox, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair grew as long as eagles' feathers, and his nails were like birds' claws. At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever, for his dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom endures from generation to generation;

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Mark 12:38 ESV / 11 helpful votes

And in his teaching he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces

Proverbs 29:8 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Scoffers set a city aflame, but the wise turn away wrath.

Proverbs 21:4 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Haughty eyes and a proud heart, the lamp of the wicked, are sin.

Proverbs 18:12 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Before destruction a man's heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.

Psalm 9:20 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Put them in fear, O Lord! Let the nations know that they are but men! Selah

Job 37:24 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Therefore men fear him; he does not regard any who are wise in their own conceit.”

1 Timothy 3:6 ESV / 10 helpful votes

He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil.

1 Corinthians 1:29 ESV / 10 helpful votes

So that no human being might boast in the presence of God.

Proverbs 12:9 ESV / 10 helpful votes

Better to be lowly and have a servant than to play the great man and lack bread.

Job 13:5 ESV / 10 helpful votes

Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom!

Proverbs 17:19 ESV / 9 helpful votes

Whoever loves transgression loves strife; he who makes his door high seeks destruction.

Psalm 138:6 ESV / 9 helpful votes

For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar.

Job 13:2 ESV / 9 helpful votes

What you know, I also know; I am not inferior to you.

2 Timothy 3:4 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

1 Corinthians 4:10 ESV / 8 helpful votes

We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute.

1 Corinthians 4:6-8 ESV / 8 helpful votes

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you!

Romans 1:29 ESV / 8 helpful votes

They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,

Luke 1:52 ESV / 8 helpful votes

He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate;

Jeremiah 13:17 ESV / 8 helpful votes

But if you will not listen, my soul will weep in secret for your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears, because the Lord's flock has been taken captive.

Jeremiah 9:24 ESV / 8 helpful votes

But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”

Isaiah 5:8 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Woe to those who join house to house, who add field to field, until there is no more room, and you are made to dwell alone in the midst of the land.

Proverbs 6:17 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Job 15:1-13 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said: “Should a wise man answer with windy knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind? Should he argue in unprofitable talk, or in words with which he can do no good? But you are doing away with the fear of God and hindering meditation before God. For your iniquity teaches your mouth, and you choose the tongue of the crafty. ...

Leviticus 26:19 ESV / 8 helpful votes

And I will break the pride of your power, and I will make your heavens like iron and your earth like bronze.

Revelation 18:7 ESV / 7 helpful votes

As she glorified herself and lived in luxury, so give her a like measure of torment and mourning, since in her heart she says, ‘I sit as a queen, I am no widow, and mourning I shall never see.’

1 Corinthians 8:1 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.” This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up.

Luke 11:43 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seat in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces.

Proverbs 28:11 ESV / 7 helpful votes

A rich man is wise in his own eyes, but a poor man who has understanding will find him out.

Psalm 12:4 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Those who say, “With our tongue we will prevail, our lips are with us; who is master over us?”

Job 21:31 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Who declares his way to his face, and who repays him for what he has done?

Job 18:3 ESV / 7 helpful votes

Why are we counted as cattle? Why are we stupid in your sight?

Job 12:2 ESV / 7 helpful votes

“No doubt you are the people, and wisdom will die with you.

2 Kings 14:10 ESV / 7 helpful votes

You have indeed struck down Edom, and your heart has lifted you up. Be content with your glory, and stay at home, for why should you provoke trouble so that you fall, you and Judah with you?”

2 Kings 5:11-13 ESV / 7 helpful votes

But Naaman was angry and went away, saying, “Behold, I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call upon the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the place and cure the leper. Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?” So he turned and went away in a rage. But his servants came near and said to him, “My father, it is a great word the prophet has spoken to you; will you not do it? Has he actually said to you, ‘Wash, and be clean’?”

Revelation 3:18 ESV / 6 helpful votes

I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.

1 Timothy 6:17 ESV / 6 helpful votes

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.

HelpfulNot Helpful

1 Timothy 6:3 ESV / 6 helpful votes

If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness,

Ephesians 4:17 ESV / 6 helpful votes

Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their mind