• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/20/1982

I'm doing research for a book, and as part of this I am reading the Bible. It is my goal to understand the message as fully as possible. In pursuit of that goal, I am reaching out to a number of communities to ask about potential resources to help me in that understanding.

I purchased the NIRV Bible, but will probably pick up a KJV as well to get the full picture.

What resources do you suggest?

I hope this is the right subforum for this question.  Thank you very much for your time.

Edit - I am still interested in any resources you may suggest, but I will now be using this thread to post updates from time to time discussing my reading of The Bible.

Edited by justinithewriterguy

I'm doing research for a book, and as part of this I am reading the Bible. It is my goal to understand the message as fully as possible.

From this I take it you're not a christian. Do I have that right?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Studying the bible takes a lifetime and nobody can get all there is in scripture during that time. What type of research are you doing? What questions are you trying to answer?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I'm doing research for a book, and as part of this I am reading the Bible. It is my goal to understand the message as fully as possible. In pursuit of that goal, I am reaching out to a number of communities to ask about potential resources to help me in that understanding.

I purchased the NIRV Bible, but will probably pick up a KJV as well to get the full picture.

What resources do you suggest?

I hope this is the right subforum for this question.  Thank you very much for your time.

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

A good Bible concordance and a Bible dictionary/commentary would be a good idea.

If you are interested in reading the Bible in multiple versions this is a good resource: http://www.biblegateway.com/

What kind of book are you writing? Welcome again.

God bless,

GE

I'm doing research for a book, and as part of this I am reading the Bible. It is my goal to understand the message as fully as possible.

To understand scripture is to understand the spiritual connection between God and man.

Just make sure that Jesus Christ is the center of your learning and teachings.

It is vital when boarding the ship, Blessings.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

What resources do you suggest? ...

Doesn't that depend in part on the research you're doing that involves the Bible? BTW, what is the research?

But to answer your query, an Amplified Bible for shades of meaning and/or a Parallel Bible with multiple translations of the same text on the same page should help.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,146
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Writer guy

Praise & Glory to God ,welcome to Worthy................it really does not matter why you think you are here(lol)God has lead you here and He works in mysterious ways.....I am sure any one of us would be more than happy to answer any of your questions & help in any way we can,so feel free to ask.

I would like to suggest a NKJV ,it is just easier reading for a first time reader without adding or subtracting to the Word of God (KJV).The Bible is the God inspired Word given to us (picture yourself, as you are a writer and you use a pen to write)....The men who wrote the Scriptures are "Gods pen"......The Bible is many Books,66....the best reading does not come by reading it cover to cover,start to finish...............the best Understanding comes from the Holy Spirit

Basically we have two parts(the Old Testament & the New Testament)....I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that you begin reading the Word of God with the Book written by John....here you can meet Jesus and read about how much He loves you(yes,YOU<writer guy) and then you can move on from there into the other Gospels in the New Testament ......may I ask you to seek God ....have the mindset that you are looking For God & just know that the only way you can get to Him is through Jesus Christ

The Bible is called the"Living Word"...it is no ordinary book....it is alive,Jesus is alive & HE IS GODS WORD......I know this may be hard to understand but if you meet Jesus He will explain it all-lol     Seriously,I only ask that you keep an open heart & mind and begin in the Book of John.................Again,welcome....Jesus loves you &God Bless You

With love,in Christ-Kwik

From this I take it you're not a christian. Do I have that right?

Yes, but I promise you there is no cynicism in my intentions.  I come to you with an open heart and an open mind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

The Message Bible is a good book.  And the Biblegateway is a really good tool to use with the bible online.

Studying the bible takes a lifetime and nobody can get all there is in scripture during that time. What type of research are you doing? What questions are you trying to answer?

I am seeking understanding and perspective.  The book I intend to write will promote a greater understanding between all major world religions.  I'm sure you have felt misunderstood or misrepresented at some point, and I think we all feel this way sometimes.  I am seeking to explore this shared experience.