• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1983

I think that when many Christians consider evangelism, they start to break out in a cold sweat.  “What will I say?  What will they think of me? I don’t know what to say or how!”  Evangelism is akin to public speaking in many Christians’ minds: high up on the fear list.  I don’t say this to condemn or even criticise; I just think that it’s important to recognise that many people feel that way so that we can encourage them.

The most encouraging words, in my opinion, come from Jesus himself: “do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” (Matthew 10:19-20).

The Apostle Paul said this about his own evangelistic style: “And my message and my preaching were very plain.  Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 2:4)

When many people think of the Holy Spirit, they consider first the gifts and manifestations of the Spirit, which is all well and good, but I would like to bring to our attention Jesus’ parting words to the disciples about the role of the Holy Spirit: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

I’ve been reading through the book of Acts searching for clues about how to carry out our ministry and learn from the apostles. Time and time again I’ve been impressed and inspired about how the apostles’ lives were shaped by the power of the Spirit; the confused and unreliable disciples we read of in the four Gospels are now faith filled men of God, not because they suddenly “got it”, but because they had received the power of the Holy Spirit that Jesus had promised them.

In my opinion, the disciples didn’t receive that power because they got up really early in the morning every day to pray, or because they lived spectacular, holy lives, it was because they were open to it, painfully conscious of their own weaknesses.

That’s why I don’t think that it’s a bad thing or something to be ashamed of that we find evangelism scary.  We mustn’t hide that or put on a brave face and share the Gospel with secretly trembling hands.  We need to confess our fears and weaknesses to God and ask him humbly to fill us with his Holy Spirit, so that we can share the saving message of Christ with power.

http://faithandencouragement.wordpress.com/

Edited by vengaturreino

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Evangelism is so much more than the words we speak.  Evangelism starts with our actions, our behavior and how we treat other people.  One cannot share the love of Jesus if they do not show the love of Jesus. 

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  19
  • Birthday:  03/26/1983

Absolutely!  This is of course true, but I feel that people say that so much that often we forget about words altogether.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

I pray that people can see the very words that I speak through my actions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

My personal view is that scripture says to preach the gospel. That means the gospel must be vocalized.

In my experience, I have known a few people who were attracted to Christianity because they liked that the people they met were so friendly. These few people joined in, but at a time later, when things became difficult, they renounced Jesus. One had become very involved and ended up being offended by Christians. They were used as a 'poster child' of those who claimed they had been deceived by believers. Another said that Christians were not what they claimed. In these instances, the people were attracted to what they initially saw in Christians, but then were disappointed by Christians. I believe that these people never really accepted Jesus but rather were joining in with people who seemed to love one another, were a tight knit group, found the gatherings fun, but never really were drawn to or accepted Jesus. I know that I am likely to blow it at some point and disappoint those around me. If I am trying to look attractive, I will disappoint. But Jesus never disappoints. So I realized that I am not trying to attract people by my behavior, but I am trying to tell people about Jesus so they will come to Him, not me. I think if they come to Him and not me, when I disappoint, it should not effect their faith in Him, as they came to Him and not me. Gandhi said something about liking Jesus but not liking Christians. That is theoretically the reason he rejected Jesus, because of Christians. The truth is, if Jesus is the truth, and a person accepts the truth, they will follow Jesus, even though Christians are not perfect. And that is what Christianity is all about. Following and believing on Jesus.  So, the gospel can not be preached without telling people about Who Jesus is and What He did. We do not have to be perfect in order to tell others about Jesus.

I tend to be shy, and yes, I start out shaking, nervous, and fearful etc, when I intend to share the gospel. Somehow, once I start, the Holy Spirit meets me, and I discover, I become bold, which I know is not me.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 2:4)

In my opinion, the disciples didn’t receive that power because they got up really early in the morning every day to pray, or because they lived spectacular, holy lives, it was because they were open to it.

Hearts desire.

Evangelism is so much more than the words we speak.  Evangelism starts with our actions, our behavior and how we treat other people.  One cannot share the love of Jesus if they do not show the love of Jesus. 

Hearts desire.

I tend to be shy, and yes, I start out shaking, nervous, and fearful etc, when I intend to share the gospel. Somehow, once I start, the Holy Spirit meets me, and I discover, I become bold, which I know is not me.  

Hearts desire.

God examines our heart and responds through His love when its inline with His.

No self centered, no personal gains but a true desire to help others which points to relying on Him. Exactly as the way He designed it. :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  23

Very inspiring!

I've experienced the Holy Spirit talking through me, but didn't make the connection til now!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Evangelism for me is a natural outpouring of the love I receive from God unto others.  God truly is a part of everything and at least some aspect of God ends up in every conversation I have whether words are used or not.