IGNORED

Raising Minimum Wages

Dawn1974

As I continue my job search I am at a crossroads. Sometimes I am concern about the wages. Other times I am concern about weather the job will offer full-time and benefits. I have medical challenges and I can really use the benefits as well. Then there are days where I think about both. Sometimes it becomes hard to figure out which is more important.

Just my opinion but I think you should concentrate on finding a job. Once you have secured employment, you are still free to search for jobs that better fit your needs. 

You also have to take into consideration the money you're receiving now from your unemployment benefits vs the wages from any job you might be considering. Sometimes it's more beneficial to remain on unemployment and continue to search for what you need in terms of benefits. 

However, if your unemployment is due to expire soon, I would concentrate on finding a job. As sad as this sounds, you may have to start looking out of state.

If you're allowed to file for extensions of your unemployment benefits, do that. 

If you end up having to take a job with no benefits, you may be able to get assistance with your medical issues through Social Services. They may also assist you through their food programs and money for housing/rent.

Do not lose hope. We are children of the Most High and through Him, all things are possible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

I read that JC Penny's will be laying off 2500 people. There will be 33 stores closing. It was said they are trying to save money. So by doing this over 65 million dollars is supposed to be saved.

Guest shiloh357

I read that JC Penny's will be laying off 2500 people. There will be 33 stores closing. It was said they are trying to save money. So by doing this over 65 million dollars is supposed to be saved.

Yep, thanks to Obamacare.  Most of these layoffs are likely in  anticipation of the exorbitant costs that this insane healthcare law is doing to impose on employee based healthcare toward the end of the year. 

Just the other day I went to a daycare center to inquire about a Teacher's Assistant position. The director said she would give me a call at the end of the week. Pray that the director will give me a call today.

• 2 weeks later...

To make matter worse, I found out that they are closing the Sears store downtown in Chicago. Another company will be buying that building. Then I found out that 2,300 people will be losing their jobs at Sam's Club Store. The Sears building was huge downtown in Chicago. It was a three-story building. I guessing about 500 people.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I understand your position Shiloh, but I still think we would be better off with no minimum wage.  Since we will never put that genie back in the bottle, there is no way to know what would happen if we got rid of it.  I don't personally think people would work for truly unreasonable wages, but there is no way to be sure, so I will just agree to disagree and move on. 

It's my opinion, and maybe JUST mine, that if there was no minimum wage (at least here in Houston) that most employers would hire the illegals for pretty much everything since they will work for very low wages and can't really complain about it.  That wouldn't be good for the job market for Americans either. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

To make matter worse, I found out that they are closing the Sears store downtown in Chicago. Another company will be buying that building. Then I found out that 2,300 people will be losing their jobs at Sam's Club Store. The Sears building was huge downtown in Chicago. It was a three-story building. I guessing about 500 people.

I saw that story on CNN this morning.  Apparently Sears is on life support pretty much everywhere (I mean, who shops there these days?) and Sam's is closing underperforming stores.  I would think Chicago would be a good market for Sam's but I guess I'm wrong. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I understand your position Shiloh, but I still think we would be better off with no minimum wage.  Since we will never put that genie back in the bottle, there is no way to know what would happen if we got rid of it.  I don't personally think people would work for truly unreasonable wages, but there is no way to be sure, so I will just agree to disagree and move on. 

It's my opinion, and maybe JUST mine, that if there was no minimum wage (at least here in Houston) that most employers would hire the illegals for pretty much everything since they will work for very low wages and can't really complain about it.  That wouldn't be good for the job market for Americans either. 

Arizona has a minimum wage and they still do that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I have tried to shop there but they quit carrying my size clothes and my husbands size clothes. Then they quit carrying the types of things he needs for work. So we go to other stores now. in their efforts to save themselves, they are making it harder for those who like to shop there. 

Guest shiloh357

I agree.  There would be no wage protection for the American workers and pretty soon American citizens will be competing with illegals who are used to working for $2.00 an hour.  

I remember when illegals claimed that they were just doing the jobs that Americans would not do.   The truth was, they were doing jobs that Americans would not do for less than minimum wage.