Dealing with alcohol...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,166
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

He isn't a Christian and he usually get together with his friends once each weekend to drink. I'm just a bit nervous about how he would react to me tell him how it bothered me. I talked to him a bit about it but not in detail...I'll see how I go in the future. I want to find the right words. Also I am really not used to the whole drinking gig thing even being with my friends or family who drink around me at parties, still feels weird for me cause I am so not used to it. Though I'm able to laugh more about their tipsy behaviors than when it comes to my bf. For me a night with my friends is usually a meal with them first, then we talk, watch a movie, play cards or have an activity planned but the get together they usually have my bf and them is just beer, cigarettes and music so I don't really know how to not feel a bit bored or out of it...I guess the more I will know them the more I'll feel comfortable.

If he isn't a Christian, I'm not sure you want to be involved with him......   and if he goes out drinking once a week and getting drunk, you should run from him,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/04/1986

As Desi stated, communication is a very key role in any relationship, and should def be utilized here if you see something you have a problem with. While you stated he is not a Christian, take that into consideration and remember that your views, perspectives, and up-bringing is of course going to be different. I believe that if you bring up a problem that you have with your significant other, and explain that your worried because you love them and don't want to see them get hurt, be stupid, etc, they should get the hint that you care enough him to intercede.

I wish you all the best with this situation as drinking does affect many people; Christians and non-Christians. Stay strong and ultimately see if you can win another soul for Christ in the process. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have read and processed the informations. When I read all the comments, it helped me realize that my partner isn't at all as the comments might suggest. He is not an alcoholic and he actually have a correct 'relationship' to alcohol. He doesn't actually tend to have an addictive personality. Of course he tries to push a bit like "just one more and then we'll go" but he's been pretty good with listening to me and respecting my uneasiness and such. I think I overreacted a bit. I actually have a great boyfriend. I just need to accept as well that he is who he is and I shouldn't want to change him, otherwise I'm in the wrong relationship. I love him and I want to be with him. I can make this relationship work, I want to. He is the man I chose. Plus, with Jesus nothing's impossible, I hope I can have an impact on his spiritual thinking. He is pretty good with accepting my faith too.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Hello,

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years but yesterday night was the first time I have even seen him drunk...He isn't extreme or anything but it truly disturbed me to see him drunk...

I have been brought up in a family that doesn't drink or smoke and I don't either. I don't really get why people are attracted to alcohol. It never really interested me ever so it's really hard for me to be objective and let go of the fact that people take pleasure in drinking. So last night we went to his friends place, they all drank and I was the only one who didn't, so obviously I felt a bit uncomfortable. When people consume they get tipsy and change their personality a bit and everything might seem funnier or things like that but for me it was really hard to get into it as I couldn't relate at all to how they were feeling. I really felt alone. I kind of feel bad to feel that way, I want my bf to have a nice time and don't be worried about me but I can't deny the way I feel either...

It was also really disturbing to see him change, he is usually more of an introvert and it was strange to see him dance and sing, he usually always just feel self conscious about ever getting himself out there so it felt like I was seeing a totally different person and also made me wonder why he didn't feel that safe with me to be able to do it without being drunk...Also a big thing was the way his eyes changed, you know like he wasn't really looking at me but past me...

I'm just trying to figure out why I feel this way and if any of you ever been in that situation. And what advice could you give me. I feel a bit like a control freak...help me!! I love him so much and I want to accept that that's who he is too......

Well, here is a place where the Christian needs the Lord's wisdom via prayer in James 1.  Do  you have a Bible search program?  Accordance's basic level is not very expensive.  I think there are also free programs.  Isn't there one called eSword? 

The two topics indicated are 1) wine, strong drink, drunkenness, and 2) friends & associates, with whom to hang out.  (like Ps 1 "stands in the way with sinners," etc.)  I don't find teetotal abstinence taught in the Bible (a little wine for the stomach's sake), but considerable negative on drunkenness.  Meditate on the passages & seek the Lord's wisdom, if you are a born again Christian.

Since scripture teaches that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom, I take it that a person whose general lifestyle is that of drunkard, is an unsaved person, who needs to trust Christ as Savior.  If this person does not have the assurance of going to Heaven based on trust in Christ, it is doubtful that he is a Christian. If so, his need would be salvation, rather than mere non-abuse of alcohol.