Home vs. Apartment, Loft or Flat

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I lived in an apartment once....never again.

Is that a flat?

I don't understand British talk  :laughing:

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I lived in an apartment once....never again.

Is that a flat?

I don't understand British talk  :laughing:

If it's part of a building instead of a whole house then it's a flat, so I'm guessing that's the same as an apartment.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,222
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

a flat to an Okie is when the air goes out of your tire.

Flat is used in British English, and apartment is used in North American English. The exact meaning of the word apartment depends on where you live.

In large parts of Canada and in or near New York City, it is used for a residence in a multi-unit building; this meaning is the one given by OALD, and is a synonym of the British word flat.

In most of the rest of the U.S. and on the West Coast of Canada, the word apartment is reserved for a rented residence in a multi-unit building; if the residences in the building are individually owned, they are called condos.

As Ben Hocking says in his comment, an apartment doesn't have to be on just one story (although the majority of them are). But if you live in a multistory residence which doesn't have anything either above or below your unit, even though there are residences attached on both sides, this is more commonly called a townhouse. If there are just two residences in the same building, you have a duplex.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/33622/flat-vs-apartment

Flat is used in British English, and apartment is used in North American English. The exact meaning of the word apartment depends on where you live.

In large parts of Canada and in or near New York City, it is used for a residence in a multi-unit building; this meaning is the one given by OALD, and is a synonym of the British word flat.

In most of the rest of the U.S. and on the West Coast of Canada, the word apartment is reserved for a rented residence in a multi-unit building; if the residences in the building are individually owned, they are called condos.

As Ben Hocking says in his comment, an apartment doesn't have to be on just one story (although the majority of them are). But if you live in a multistory residence which doesn't have anything either above or below your unit, even though there are residences attached on both sides, this is more commonly called a townhouse. If there are just two residences in the same building, you have a duplex.

Yes :laughing:  to a Pacific NW person too....

Are you an Okie from Muskogee oo? Didn't Merle Haggard do that?

No, I'm an Okie from Ada....       and neither was Merle.   His parents moved from Checotah, Oklahoma a few years before he was born....  Merle was born in California....    I don't know if he himself ever lived in Oklahoma....       As I understand it the song was reflecting his fathers ideas, but Checotah just didn't fit in the lyrics.....   Okie from Muskogee is really catchy...

No, I'm an Okie from Ada....       and neither was Merle.   His parents moved from Checotah, Oklahoma a few years before he was born....  Merle was born in California....    I don't know if he himself ever lived in Oklahoma....       As I understand it the song was reflecting his fathers ideas, but Checotah just didn't fit in the lyrics.....   Okie from Muskogee is really catchy...

I think I have told you that my dad was an Okie.With the accent to go with it.  :mgcheerful:

I think I have told you that my dad was an Okie.With the accent to go with it.  :mgcheerful:

that would be the real heaven language....

that would be the real heaven language....

Do I get a hint of prejudice or bias?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What is an Oakie? Oh, yes I get it now. Somebody from Oklahoma.

My views of Oklahoma:

Farmland and tornadoes (or is that Kansas?)

and of course...........................................

Oaaaaak....... lahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

That's about it really.

Next, Bopeep, I'm coming for you to give my opinion on the Pacific NorthWest. :laughing:

What is an Oakie? Oh, yes I get it now. Somebody from Oklahoma.

My views of Oklahoma:

Farmland and tornadoes (or is that Kansas?)

and of course...........................................

Oaaaaak....... lahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

That's about it really.

Next, Bopeep, I'm coming for you to give my opinion on the Pacific NorthWest. :laughing:

:runforhills: