Sign in to follow this  
Kevin1971

Dealing with past emotional anger with father

Hello.  I am not sure I am even asking a question, as just feeling down and out and maybe hoping to connect with some good-minded and good-souled people out there.  I'm a Christian by faith but admit I have fallen away from my faith in the past several years.  I grew up in a very heavy-handed religiousity-ladden home, entirely from my mom's side, where it was in hindsight a really cultist mindset that manipulated people based on fear of hell.  There was very little encouraging, uplifting spirituality that was at all centered on Christ's teaching.  I mentioned this only because I broke away from that late in life, the constant anticipation of God's eminent wrath about to unpredicatbly decend upon me following me.  For me, now older, I want that God I knew as a child.  The one you felt and knew was real when you just woke up and breathed or went outside and saw the sky.  Existence itself is enough testiment to a deeply spiritual nature that is an unheard song and praise of God.  But life has a way of eroding that feeling, and I realized as I've gotten older, I take much for granted now.  But this has recently been challenged by the fact my mother has terminal cancer and literally on her death bed.

My sister and I have been the primary caregivers of my mom, fighting the system to get her what she needs in terms of medicare.  My father, who is now old himself but still works is and has been utterly uselsss.  We grew up in a very abusive household with him, cursing, screaming, and debasing my mother.  It was mostly emotional and psychological abuse, but there was a brief period when he was drinking and became physically abusive with my mom.  I was no older than 5 when I remember he assaulted my mom, a God-fearing woman, who was very subdued in many ways, but had enough with him and threw a small but heavy clock radio at him and went after him with a hammer, threatening him if he ever put his hand on her, she'd have him arrested and thrown out.  The police came and even though my father was bleeding badly from his back fromt he radio cutting him, they were going to arrest him for battery.  He pleaded and my mother intervened on his behalf.  He was not arrested and swore he'd change.  But of course he never did.  My mother got caught up into a horrible cult of "Christians" that were lead more by fear of eternal damnation than of celebrating the existence of God's creation.

For our part, me and my sister kept away as far as possible from our dad, but I was his primary target, often slapped, and had glass cups and items hurled at me.  I know its pathetic being an adult man and still carrying this unresolved anger from my childhood, but now when I see my father and he opens his mouth to us and curses, all those childhood memories come flooding into my mind.  I wish I could turn it off.  I still remember the large glass tropicana half gallon bottle filled with water being hurled at me, when I awoke in the middle of a hot summer night after my father came home drunk and was cursing my mother  in the kitchen.  I went to her defense telling him to leaver her alone.  I narrowly got away from the exploding pieces of glass that flew by me when the bottle smashed against the doorway.  Then there was the hot coffee he threw at my face when a young teenager when I dared to stand up to him.  But that was nothing compared to the horrible things, deeply sexually degrading things, he would say to us.  My mom was called everything under the sun, and soon her own spirit was eroded by this man.  She fell away from her own belief of God at one time, which deeply bothered me.  My sister was called horrible things, and I was called terrible things.  He became increasingly phsyically abusive with me until at around 15, I had enough.  He grabbed me around the neck and was choking me.  I flung his hangs off of me and hurled him through the bathroom door.  He went careeming inside the bathroom and literally through the glass partitioners of the tub.  I was initially genuinely scared for his safety.  I walked in, finding him dazed but otherwise alright.  I remember that day like yesterday.  I stood there over him and looked down at him and told him that I was not a small kid anymore and that if he came to me again, I would beat him and let everyone he knew know just what he was and doing and how they'd know he was a coward and still got himself handed by his own kid.  He knew after that that he could not physically intimidate me, but his mouth became more of his weapon.

I guess I never forgave my father, a person I see as a pathetic, unedcuated, stupid fool who is merely a male and a not a real man.  Coward.  Narcissist.  Emotional parasite.  Charlatan.  These are the words that come to mind when I think of him. 

He use to wish my mother cancer and hope she would end up in a wheelchair.  Both of these happened.  I hate the man.  God forgive me, but I cannot help but feel it should be him with the fate he wished on my mom and not her.  But now he has become even more pathetic.  He's been completely reliant upon my mom and us for everything.  He cannot--nor ever has--coped with life's difficulties, even the slightest ones, which he would take out on us like the coward fool he is.  But my sister and I have showed him patience and he has been genuinely stricken with guilt for the things he said to my mom, even asking my sister if he "did this." 

Now that my mother's condition has worsen, he's become worse in temperment, and his old foul-mouth ways have returned with a vengence.  A couple days ago, I was visiting him and he began taking out his anxieties on me and when I told him to calm down he cursed and called me names , I became instantly hotheaded, and told him to shut his mouth and called him ungrateful  that should be suffering the fate he wished on my mom.  Again he called me the same thing and I warned him I would slapped his mouth if he said it again.  He did with a smile, and I slapped him hard across the face to where he cried.  And I admit, I didn't feel the slightest bad about it.  But of course that is not true.  I was for that moment, ever vile disgusting thing that pathetic old fool before me was and is.  And I gave into it and ashamed of it.  I don't want to be anything like that poor excuse of manhood, including his irrational, self-projecting denials and turn-arounds.  I did wrong, and it getting angry and physical made me not only feel weak but weak-minded.  I should be above that--and better than him.  I wasn't.

When my mom dies, I will not have anything more to do with this little man and could care less for him.  I am left now as an adult still feeling like that defenseless kid growing up with this pathetic monster.  It's so  pathetic.  I have no fear of him now but just deep disgust and anger.  And I don't know how to get rid of it--and want to badly.

I ask God to help me with this.  I love my family, and for the life of me, I would rather die than ever say a tenth of the horrible things to any of my love ones that this man has said to us.  Growing up with this man made me feel oddly abandoned even though he was physically present in our lifes, emotional and spiritually robbed of our childhoods in many ways, and feeling unloved and unworthy.  Even though now an adult, I can articulate and intellectually understand these emotional sources rationally, I am still left dealing with them, as is my sister. 

I guess, now after this long email, I just needed to write it out.  I apologize for its length and rambling nature, but I see too I'm asking for prayers to any good God fearing people out there.  There is still that child in me that remembers well the God of his youth and even now as an adult, there are days when I awake and breath in that first conscious breath of air that I have that same joyful contemplation of God's presence, or when I come home late and see the night time sky, I know God is all around.  It is a deep, unshakable feeling of profound conenction.  But I am still dealing with much unresolved anger and even hate.  And I don't want these things in my heart.  I want to be a good man.  A loving man.  A kind man.  A genlte man.  A strong man, emotionally, pyschologically, and spiritually.  A God-fearing man.

Please pray for me and my family.

God bless.

Edited by ncn
some words removed for language content

Hello Kevin,

My name is Nigel and I have edited out some of your words because we have younger members who can read the forums. 

While I understand your anger,  please be careful with your word content. 

You are in my prayers. 

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

Hello Kevin,

My name is Nigel and I have edited out some of your words because we have younger members who can read the forums. 

While I understand your anger,  please be careful with your word content. 

You are in my prayers. 

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

I think we might have been editing at the same time.  I was cleaning up some typos.  Please remove any offending wording, as I assure you this was not my intent.  If this was an inappropriate forum to post, you can of course remove it or relocate it.  Thanks.

Edited by Kevin1971

I have cleaned it up again as some of the words , phrases re- appeared  , no need to edit it further,

please leave it as it is now.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to Worthy. 

God Bless. 

Nigel 

Hi Kevin and Welcome to Worthy

I can see you have been hurt alot in the past. I know in the past I have had some deep hurts. I do know one way that helped me out alot is when I made a prayer journal. I wrote down what I wanted to pray about all the hurts, dissapointments etc  and prayed daily. I also wrote down answers to prayers. Over time the more I prayed for the ones that hurt me I soon found out I had forgiven them. Praying for you!

Hi Kevin1971 I am new here but I have been a Christian for nearly 40 years. Your story is not unlike mine My Father too was engulfed by alcoholic rages he passed away when i was 17 i was caregiver to my Mother until she passed away just a few weeks ago. I know what it is like to pray to God and to be given a stone i know what it is like to have nothing left inside but Faith and Hope and to be at the ledge ready to jump and deny Jesus once and for all and join all the unGodly. how easy it looked But God wont suffer you any more than you can handle Your Mother needs your prayers Now Not after..Don't wait Jesus knows his sheep and will not lose one. all things work together for good to them that love God. Humble yourself to our Creator unburden your Heart and ask for the Comforter you Will feel like a child again. I will pray for Your family.

Praise Jesus

Thank you countingsheep.  I am sorry for your loss and will keep you in my prayers.  I appreciate your kind words or enouragement.  I wish you sleepful, rested nights ahead and less counting of sheep.  :mgcheerful:

Hi Kevin and Welcome to Worthy

I can see you have been hurt alot in the past. I know in the past I have had some deep hurts. I do know one way that helped me out alot is when I made a prayer journal. I wrote down what I wanted to pray about all the hurts, dissapointments etc  and prayed daily. I also wrote down answers to prayers. Over time the more I prayed for the ones that hurt me I soon found out I had forgiven them. Praying for you!

Thanks patticats.  That sounds like an excellent idea.  I used to eschew the idea of keeping a "journal" as being a bit too "Oprah" for my tastes, but there is power in the written form, a power to convey and see your thoughts and feelings conveyed on paper by your own hand that adds healing I think in having them acknowledged in a more readily seen and concrete fashion through ink on paper.  It also, I think, gives you a sense of ownership and power over them, in coming to more fully understand them and their more nuanced influences on our life, which we often do not reflect upon or quite realize.  Just having articulated my feelings on this post, I feel, did much of giving me a bit of greater clarity and insight of what the toxic elements of this past are and fully acknowleding them and knowing how I want to deal with them instead of being ignornat of their influence and at their mercy in my life.  Falling down happens.  I can forgive a person an infinite number of times for their "failures."  It's when they don't wish to acknowledge it, learn from it, and better themselves from it (and one can, I fully believe this), where I have trouble (and I especially place this criticism on myself) that is less forgivable. 

You sound like you've come a long way from whatever past troubles you are now free.  Rock on!

In my prayers too... :)

God Bless SORRY DELETED You need to unload all that stuff you are carrying around inside you, all the hatred all the Fear and Sins. let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise 

Praise Jesus

Edited by countingsheep

Hello Kevin!!

Welcome to worthy.

there is nothing God can not do,

the Joy of the Lord is our strenght,

devil is a liar,and for this very purpose the Son of God was made manifest,that He might destroy the works of the devil,

You have to forgive your dad,no matter what,

Jesus said,if we did not forgive men there trespasses against us,neither will our heavenly father forgive us,

you have to find a place in your heart and forgive your dad,and also ask him to forgive you,

you need his blessing to move forward in life,

bitternesss is a hinderance,

i know it is not easy,ask God to grant you the grace to forgive and forget,

you will always be in my prayers.

may the good God bless you,as you forgive and forget.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By marita
      Hello everyone, 
      So when I ask about who wrote the bible, people give me different answers. But who actually wrote it? I believe so much wisdom could not come from men alone 
    • By ManAfterHisHeart
      Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum! I’m so thankful for God’s work in my life and where’s He’s currently brought me. I got caught up in addiction for a couple years but He’s delivered me and set me free, Amen! I’m currently serving in a ministry and will be going out on missions this summer to Morocco, Turkey, Isreal, and Kyrgyzstan! 
      God is Faithful! 
      Be Blessed,
      ~ManAfterHisHeart~
    • By jestersnow72
      Hello,
      I am in a very serious situation right now and I have no idea what to do about it. I have 9 days to move out of my trailer. I am on disability and only make $847 per month and I am already down to $400 being left in my account. Also, my utilities are in my ex-roommate's name and he moved out Monday so I my power, gas, and Internet can be shut off any time now. I have contacted every agency and apartment complex that I can find and I am getting no support and no help. I am a loner and I'm agoraphobic, severely social phobic, have bad panic and anxiety attacks and do not associate with anyone, really. All I have are 2 of my 4 adult daughters and they are not much help. My youngest is going through things. My 24 year old is stung out on drugs. My 25 year old is in jail and my oldest is in another city. I do not really associate with my mother because of things she's done to me and allowed to happen to me in the past. She is no support whatsoever. I have no one and nothing out here. I used to have my grandparents but they both died and now I am all alone. I have a man but he is in prison. I have 2 old male cats that I love very much and they are my life, but other than my cats, talking to my man on the phone and email, and God...I have no one. For some reason I am not getting anywhere. I have applied for all types of assistance and I am getting no help. I am on disability and am bipolar with psychotic episodes and have PTSD, borderline personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, anti-social personality disorder, and schizotypal personality disorder. I have only been out of my house a handfull of times since November of 2009 and I have not driven a car since then either. I am not on my psychiatric meds right now because I had issues with my mental health care provider and plan on suing them. I can't go to a shelter because they are wanting me to put my cats in the animal shelter and I refuse to do that. That would kill my cats and me. My roommate was a 53 year old guy named Greg and he was very abusive, violent, and he spent his time harassing me, invading my privacy, threatening me, stealing from me, and trying to intimidate me. He caused a lot of problems around here for me and my kids and now I have to move out by the 18th of this month. He is a very bad person and he is on the run right now. There is a warrant out on him. He has 9 felonies and he's on probation for battery and has violated probation twice already. He had something going with the lady that works in the office here at the trailer court and she tampered with our lease and made it look like my daughter's name was never on it, he lied and got a protective order on her and got her kicked out of here, and that lady also wrote him a bogus letter stating that my daughter was banned from here. They had NO grounds. All she did was call the cops on my roommate 6 times because he was a threat. The cops kept telling us there was nothing they could do. I got tired of it and complained about that lady to the owner and the next thing I know I am getting a letter stating they are quitting my lease. I am only on here as an occupant. The utilities are in my ex-roommate's name. I am about to be sitting here with no power, nowhere to go, no support, no money, and on and on it goes. I simply do not know what else I can do. I owe the electric company $350, the gas company $65, and the Internet companies money. I have an eviction on my record and I have bad credit due to student loans. My eviction was really not my fault. I lived in my apartment for 5 years and was never late on my rent then new management came in and jacked the rent up really high and I couldn't afford it. I got evicted back in March of 2017 and I have been bouncing around from place to place since. I need a place of my own and to get my bills straightened out and I need people to help me get my life back on track. I have prayed and prayed about this and am getting no results. I need someone to pray for me that God will direct me to the people and resources I need that can help me. I am at my wits end and have nowhere left to turn.
    • By YohanesBvM
      I'm a final semester colleger. I am now writting Thesis to fulfill the requirement of Engineering Program. My lecture suggested me to use a kind of program to simulate my research. But, until now the program never succeded to simulate my model. There was one of my senior who told me the same about such program, but I was confident that there must be a way. 
      Almost one year I spent my time with this project.
      I never shared this with my Family because I was afraid to disappoint them. Besides, I like the project as the subject of my thesis and never wish it changed. I always told them that everything was alright whenever they ask me. 
      But now, they are out of patience. They ask me to show the result of my project. I'm actually unable to show them anything. 
      I'm so confused now. 
      I must tell them the truth. But I'm totally afraid of them now..  Help me guys
    • By Heart2Soul
      Judgment begins with us.....and if it begins with us then let us as Christians first become those who are pure in heart and who walk upright in obedience to His word before going out to correct others.....
      What judgments should the church expect from the Holy Spirit? Revelations 2-3 addresses the seven churches of Asia....these are the judgments I believe are the ones the church must come to address and repent of before we can claim to be His Bride...IMHO...
      I enjoyed this teaching on the seven churches....http://randalldsmith.com/the-end-of-the-world-seven-deadly-sins-revelation-2-3/ 
      These are excerpts from that teaching.......
      (1) Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7) - the church that had forsaken its first love (2:4). Neglected priorities-placing other things more important or above God: 2:1 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: … 4 ‘But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 ‘Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place—unless you repent. …”

(2) Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11) - the church that would suffer persecution (2:10). Fear of persecution-people fail to witness to others for fear of persecution: 2:8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: .. 10 ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life…”

(3) Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17) - the church that needed to repent (2:16). Compromise of principles-allowing false teachings, etc: 2:12 “And to the angel of the church in Pergamum write: … 14 ‘But I have a few things against you, because you have there some who hold the teaching of Balaam, who kept teaching Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols and to commit acts of immorality. 15 ‘So you also have some who in the same way hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans. 16 ‘Therefore repent; or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of My mouth… “

(4) Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29) - the church that had a false prophetess (2:20). Tolerating immorality: 2:18 “And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: .. 20 ‘But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. ..”

(5) Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6) - the church that had fallen asleep (3:2). Spiritual Apathy:3:1 “To the angel of the church in Sardis write: He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars, says this: ‘I know your deeds, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 ‘Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God. 3 ‘So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. …” 

(6) Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13) - the church that had endured patiently (3:10). Dwindling Stability, where we won't push to deliberately build the body of believers:
      3:7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: …8 ‘I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name. …”
      Faithful, but barely hanging on – that is the truth behind thousands of churches and literally MILLIONS of anemic and sickly Christians. 
      Alzheimer’s Christian: Remembers only selectively what God has done before, but fails to be able to connect with what may be happening in the Kingdom around him today. Autistic Christian: Stuck on a phrase and often inappropriate in responses. Unable to connect to anyone that has no special training to understand them. Epileptic Christian: Not in control of all energies expended. Seems passionate but strangely disconnected from the body, randomly expending great energy not directed by any leadership or head. Leprous Christian: Unfeeling toward other parts of the body and infectiously causing a spreading numbness of insensitivity that kills good growth. Obese Christian: Ready to sit and eat with no real intent to get up and DO anything, they become expert food critics of the messages they hear. Burned Christian: Because of an experience that often has nothing to do with the current body they are in, they are in constant need of careful handling and touchy care. Anorexic Christian: Unable to see themselves as God says they are, they continue to self inspect for every flaw, totally overtaken in their own issues. Heart Diseased Christian: Unable to function normally because of other contributing behaviors that have weakened their endurance.  
      (7) Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22) - the church with the lukewarm faith (3:16). Lukewarm/Luxury Distraction-focused more on themselves: 3:14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: 15 ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16 ‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. 17 ‘Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked…”
      1 Peter 4:17  
      17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
      Hebrews 12:5-8
      5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
      6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
      7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
      8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

So I humbly submit this topic not to condemn but to bring awareness to our need to judge ourselves rather than what others are guilty of in their walk with God. 
      Your thoughts please....