• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In First Corinthians, Paul says:

10:24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

What does this mean? Looking at the verses preceding and following this one, there seems to be no actual context; I can't see how they relate to this verse at all.

On the surface, it seems like it's saying that no one should become rich on his own, but everyone should instead seek other people's wealth. It looks like it's overtly promoting avarice, envy, and theft, but I know that can't possibly be true! What is the real meaning of this verse?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

ESV.. 1Co 10:24  Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. 

To me this means look to the good (well being, needs) of you neighbor before thinking of yourself.

Just as the similar verses below tell us...

1Co 10:33  just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. 

Rom 15:2  Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 

Php 2:4  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It means do not be concerned about your own good but be concerned about how you can be good to others. It's about looking to build up others instead of focusing on your own self improvement.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

That must be an obscured translation text (Alexandrian text) you should look it up on what it says in the authorized text from Antioch instead .

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

That must be an obscured translation text (Alexandrian text) you should look it up on what it says in the authorized text from Antioch instead .

Well no.  the verse makes sense completely if taken in context. The context of that chapter would be the consideration of others over

onself as has already been pointed out.

Perhaps the context was so plain it was missed...

Well no.  the verse makes sense completely if taken in context. The context of that chapter would be the consideration of others over

onself as has already been pointed out.

Perhaps the context was so plain it was missed...

I must've completely missed the context, then. Can you explain how 10:24 relates to the verses surrounding it? I just don't understand how anything in this passage relates to anything else at all. It seems like a bunch of different ideas, none of them having anything to do with the others, being taken up every few verses, with 10:24 being stand-alone with no other verses relating to it. I'm completely lost on this one!

10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

10:22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

10:24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

10:26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof: 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

10:30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

ESV.. 1Co 10:24  Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. 

To me this means look to the good (well being, needs) of you neighbor before thinking of yourself.

Just as the similar verses below tell us...

1Co 10:33  just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. 

Rom 15:2  Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 

Php 2:4  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 

Thank you so much! It looks like the translator just used a word in an odd place, and it completely changed my perception of the tone of the verse.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Crazy mad insanity that words can be perceived in so many ways!