• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,248
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is quite clear in The Scripture that second birth is a total work of Jesus on the cross ... Eph 2:8-9

It is also quite clear that the work is kept and sealed By God The Holy Spirit ... Eph 1:13-14

In brief that which is born of God will produce fruit unto God... Matt 13:23

I have listened to John MacArthur and He teaches sound doctrine both of God's election and Man responsibility of choosing...

He admits He does not understand it nor believes anyone does... Love, Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

You didn't answer my questions Tinky.  Are you saying that if I am a professing Christian, I can run around on my wife and be ok with God?  If that is the case, where does repentance come in?  Where did I change my mind about anything?  Are you saying that we should continue in sin that grace will abound, because if we try to stop sinning, we will be lifted up in pride? 

As for what you said to me, salvation is still given as a free gift for one reason.  We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God at some point in our life.  That means we all require grace to avoid hell.  Even if I am required to live up to God's standards after salvation, I still need grace to make it to heaven because past transgressions had to be pardoned, along with those things I may do and not realize I did wrong at the time it occurred.  So yes, you must be a follower of Christ, a doer of the Word and not a hearer only to remain saved.  A person who continues to fornicate for instance will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven, though they may have at one time had a salvation experience as a result of praying a sinner's prayer.  Notice what it says in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?  Be not deceived:  neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11  And such were some of you:  but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

This shows the need for performance.  I gave the example of a fornicator and adulterer, two things on this list that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God.  It doesn't say, "unless you prayed a sinner's prayer."  It just says people who do these things won't inherit the Kingdom of God.  We are all saved by grace, but that doesn't give us a license to sin.  Notice what it says in Hebrews 10:26-31

26  For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27  But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28  He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses.

29  Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30  For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord.  And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31  It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

You have received the knowledge of the truth.  If you sin willfully, there is no sacrifice covering those sins unless you repent.  When you sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, you are showing you take lightly the blood of the New covenant, and are treading under foot the Son of God.  This is clearly speaking to Christians as it plainly says these people have been sanctified by the blood in times past, but they show they see it as an unholy thing by their sinful behavior. 

I bet you get alot of resistance with this stance on sin, I read the scriptures the same way, seems there is a practicing of sin that is crucial in overcoming, as Jesus mentions several places those who practice iniquity will be treated as if He never knew them

It appears some form of obedience is required

seems there is a huge movement amongst the church to push the idea that people can live in sin's that lead to death and its all endlessly covered by grace

I don't see that in scripture

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Butero: "You didn't answer my questions Tinky.  Are you saying that if I am a professing Christian, I can run around on my wife and be ok with God?" 

No. Not at all. God will certainly chastise His children, but our salvation is still secure - because it's not based on what we do, but what Jesus did, on the cross. If keeping our salvation is based on our performance in any way, then we can rightfully claim part of God's glory for ourselves. We can proudly declare we have a share in redemption and deserve some of the praise reserved for God.

Butero: "This shows the need for performance.  I gave the example of a fornicator and adulterer, two things on this list that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God."

I'm sorry, but you are starting to sound pharisaical - heaping rules upon people - until they are so weighed down, they are crushed. The reason Scripture states the things you quoted, is to show once and for all that nobody can keep the law - because God requires perfection for anyone to enter His Kingdom. Perfection in thought, word and deed. That's the reason why Jesus said if you even lust after a woman, as far as God is concerned, it's the same as committing the act of adultery. Or if you hate your brother, you are a murderer. 

As a matter of fact, the Bible says that anyone who tries to continue on with the Law after salvation is under a curse. Actual believers do strive to obey God, but it is out of love and reverence for what He did to save us - not out of obligation. We will still fall, because we are still in the flesh. 

Whether you accept it or not, we will all remain sinners until we go to glory. Some will go on to great rewards, and some will arrive "as if through fire" having all of their works deemed worthless. 

Remember, even Paul said, "I am the chief of all sinners" not "I was."

I think you should look into the two different kinds of sin, as stated in 1 John 5:16-17

we know that we all sin, but do we all live in sin that leads to death

that is the difference between sin, grasping this truth will be very helpful to your walk

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Repentance simply means to have a change of heart.

To turn away from what is evil and face what is good, leaving sin behind at his redemptive work.

Repentance isn't a prayer.  It's not "Please forgive me"  But a belief you have deep inside of you.  It's remorse for what you have done.  Then pursuing what is good.

You don't need to feel guilty when you believe in Jesus work.  You need to feel thankful!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I think Zacchaeus serves a good example. It starts with the intention to forsake sin. "Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold." Luke 19:8 and yet, though he made this statement, before he took action it, while it was still merely an intention, Jesus said, "Today salvation has come to this house". Luke 19:9

Thus while to believe in the LORD Jesus with the intention to forsake one's sin is a condition for salvation, one takes action on this as a saved person. For works follow salvation. For what "faith" is it but a vain faith to call Jesus "Lord" without the INTENTION of doing what he said? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

You don't need to feel guilty when you believe in Jesus work.  You need to feel thankful!

I think one should feel guilty - because we are.

If we don't believe we are worthless, wretched sinners - with nothing to offer - we won't feel the need for a savior. 

It's like Ray Comfort once said: People who don't believe they are sick, will never seek a doctor. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

To realise that what one has done is wrong, to decide that it is not the healthiest, nor the happiest way to live and to make a conscious decision to recognise that.

To admit to a mistake (or mistakes) with the full intention of not doing it again, or at the very least working on ways in which not to do it again.

To regret the consequences of any such mistake(s).

To admit that the Lord's way is the best and to endeavour (with his help and support) to strive to follow the Lord's way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I think one should feel guilty - because we are.

If we don't believe we are worthless, wretched sinners - with nothing to offer - we won't feel the need for a savior. 

It's like Ray Comfort once said: People who don't believe they are sick, will never seek a doctor. 

I agree (sort of).

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Even though the NT word means "to change one's mind" I think the greater idea is "changing one's direction" or "going the other way". I think the idea is that before Christ one is going in a direction that is away from God (and somehow totally against God) and the repentant life is one headed directly toward Him.  Consider all kinds of other passages in the bible too in order to get the point--not just studies on the word repentance.  

Although with much trial, stumbling and bumbling along the way, the repentant life, I would submit, is an overall pattern or track of going toward God and the things that please Him. The repentant life bears fruit over time.