IGNORED

Science is Dead:Hawking(Stephen) says and other renowned scientists ag

rontiger

Guest shiloh357

It seems to me that "God" is simply used as an explanation for that which we can't grasp.

Not so.  God is the explanation that science can't reach.  Science can only detect what is in the natural world.  That doesn't mean that this natural world is all that there is.  Science cannot rule God out as the uncaused cause for everything that has come into existence in the natural world.  

What I'm hearing is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by an all powerful/all knowing creator. All the while supposedly this approach is labeled as "more adequate" than the "we don't know" approach.

It's not the case that we don't know.   It's the case that you simply don't want to believe beyond what science can detect.   An all-knowing, all-powerful God is simply the best and most rational answer for the existence of the material world.

I mean I get it, it's an attractive method to explain things, but I don't know that it really answers much.

The truth is that it explains perfectly what science can't explain.  And it is an explanation that agrees with the human experience.  Nothing we use ever comes into existence on its own.  Everything is created. We know that.  I don't have to meet the author of book to know that a book must have an author.

No one saw Stonehenge being made but our experience tells us, just by looking at Stonehenge that human beings built it.  It has every earmark of design and even if I never saw it being made, never saw any evidence for the existence of the ones who made it, I would not be convinced by any one that Stonehenge is a randomly occurring rock formation that just appeared that way.   I know it was made by someone even if I can't tell you who made it and cannot provide on shred of evidence outside of Stonehenge for the existence of its makers/designers. 

No scholar would ever stake their reputation on a theory of Stonehenge that included the idea that those rocks of uniform shape and size just fell into place without the aid of an intelligent causality.   Yet that is the very form of intellectual suicide that we are expected to commit when it comes to the existence of our universe, which is far more complex than Stonehenge, that we should look at the obvious earmarks of wisdom and design and just pretend that everything just popped into existence for no good reason and by no intelligent cause.   That doesn't square with our experience and frankly isn't intellectually satisfying.

What I'm hearing is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by an all powerful/all knowing creator.

I'm not sure this is the point at all. It's the things things that are within (not beyond) the microscopes and telescopes that are easily explained by an all powerful/all knowing creator. It wasn't that long ago that folks thought a cell was a blob of protoplasm, which quite frankly it wouldn't have taken much intelligence to make. Now as we learn about the complexity of the cell in only argues more for an intelligent mastermind behind it all. One of my favorite examples is that of the ribosome, the cell's protein making factories. Proteins are an integral part of these protein making factories, so one would have to ask, which came first the protein to make the ribosome, or the ribosome to make the protein? Scientists offer some far-fetched, untestable speculations to try explain this quandry all the while overlooking the more reasonable possibility that the ribosomes were created by an intelligent designer. The things within the microscope and telescope only raise more questions than they answer from a purely secular worldview.

This "God of the Gaps" accusation is often leveled against Christian's for an understandable reason. For instance, I'm as dumb as dirt when it comes to math, but suppose somebody wrote a higher order partial derivatives calculus problem and gave it to me and a competent mathmetician. Furthermore, suppose the creator of the math problem gave me the answer (well not just me, but to anyone who would believe him). I could confidently claim I knew what the answer was even though I don't know a lick about the math, and the mathmetician would rightfully accuse me of defaulting to the God of the Gaps. But this doesn't have any bearing on the validity of my answer. Assuming 1) the mathmatician was able to objectively solve the problem and 2) the creator was trustworthy, we should both arrive at the same answer. If the Bible is correct, then this is indeed the situation we find ourselves in with the issue of origins. Some Christians are interested in learning the "math" that get's them to the answer, while some Christians find that their time is better served elsewhere since they already have the answer. At first glance, this latter approach (which is probably the more common of the two) looks like a cop-out, but it may actually be the wiser of the two options simply because we only have one life to live and time is fleeting.

Hold the Fort,

Ehud 

Edited by Ehud

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  70
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.70
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Hey, Bonky, welcome back.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

It seems to me that "God" is simply used as an explanation for that which we can't grasp. What I'm hearing is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by an all powerful/all knowing creator. All the while supposedly this approach is labeled as "more adequate" than the "we don't know" approach.

I mean I get it, it's an attractive method to explain things, but I don't know that it really answers much.

This is normal and part of human nature. However it has nothing to do with the truth of Christianity. 

What is worthy of more attention is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by the "all powerful/all knowing science".

It seems to me that "God"

is simply used as an explanation

for that which we can't grasp.

~

Say

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23

It Ain't

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

So

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Beloved

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

It seems to me that "God" is simply used as an explanation for that which we can't grasp. What I'm hearing is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by an all powerful/all knowing creator. All the while supposedly this approach is labeled as "more adequate" than the "we don't know" approach.

This is normal and part of human nature. However it has nothing to do with the truth of Christianity. 

What is worthy of more attention is that conveniently those things that are beyond of our microscopes and our telescopes etc are easily explained by the "all powerful/all knowing science".

Who is claiming that scientists [or the scientific community] have all the answers??   When I hear cosmologists talk about the Universe, I hear of multiple models that they discuss because there are a lot of things we don't understand. 

Edited by Bonky

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Thanks.  ;)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,390
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The more we discover the more questions become -it is pride that
prevents the educated from relinquishing the glory due to God
for the creation He has made... 
 1 Cor 8:1-3
8 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all
have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2 And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth
nothing yet as he ought to know. 3 But if any man love God, the
same is known of him.
KJV

Love, Steven

Guest Teditis

Who is claiming that scientists [or the scientific community] have all the answers??   When I hear cosmologists talk about the Universe, I hear of multiple models that they discuss because there are a lot of things we don't understand. 

Well, in general it's the scientific community that claims that they have the answers.

When I hear them talk about cosmology/origins, they claim, more often than not, that

whatever they are proposing "proves" that God is not relevant to the "beginning"... that

their model demonstrates that everything has a scientifically explainable genesis. Ergo,

they have all the answers... 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  70
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.70
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Thanks.  ;)

You are welcome.