• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

"Role models portrayed as superhuman don’t always motivate students—instead, they risk discouraging kids who feel they can't live up to the lofty standards."

from The Atlantic:

"When role models become too romanticized, their fame can have the opposite effect of intimidating those who wish to enter the field. This is what Des Jardins calls the Marie Curie complex. 'If we create these myths of people being uber-people and thus good scientists, many of us earthlings are not equipped,' she said. 'You will disqualify the majority of people in science when they feel like they won’t measure up ...'"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Understood.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

'If we create these myths of people being uber-people and thus good scientists, many of us earthlings are not equipped,'

Understood.

lol...hilarious.

Edited by S.T. Ranger

:thumbsup:

The Plain

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Truth

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

Jesus Alone

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Saves

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I try not to put any human on a pedestal.

Like my Daddy says: "You can be smart as a whip, yet dumb as a post, all at the same time."  :laugh:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I think the best type of scientists are those who inspire their students and open them up to the awesome world of science and knowledge.  Carl Sagan was one of these.   The best professors I had in college were brilliant, yet approachable.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

I think the best type of scientists are those who inspire their students and open them up to the awesome world of science and knowledge.  Carl Sagan was one of these.   The best professors I had in college were brilliant, yet approachable.

Carl Sagan was an Atheist (although he rode the fence a bit):

David Grinspoon, a planetary scientist whose father was Sagan’s best friend, and who referred to Sagan as “Uncle Carl,” :

“In his adult life he was very close to being an atheist.  I personally had several conversations with him about religion, belief, god, and yes I agree he was darn close. It’s really semantics at this level of distinction.  He was certainly not a theist. And I suppose I can relate because I personally don’t call myself an atheist, although if you probed what I believe, it would be indistinguishable from many who do use that term.”

...how many (countless) do you suppose that listened to him were led away from the LORD.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." [Carl Sagan]

"In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we must, of course ask next where God comes from? And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?" [Carl Sagan, Cosmos, page 257]

"What I'm saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job."  [Carl Sagan]

"We should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. [Carl Sagan]

"If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?....For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." [Carl Sagan]

(1 Timothy 6:3-5) "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;  {4} He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,  {5} Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."

(2 Timothy 4:3-4) "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;  {4} And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

My point was that Sagan was a man of some humility who led many to pursue science.  I don't know what impact his religious views had on them, but hopefully they were astute enough to make up their own minds.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Old School

"Role models portrayed as superhuman don’t always motivate students—instead, they risk discouraging kids who feel they can't live up to the lofty standards."

posted by Old School

I do agree,even preachers & evangelists portrayed that way can be very intimidating to some people who would otherwise ask questions and perhaps be more open to receive what is actually be being said,,,,,,so many people do "idolize" certain people & will talk about them as if they were high & above everyone else,,,even if they themselves do not come off that way,,,,,,the prideful an arrogant ones that do come off as thinking themselves any more than anyone else have not much to learn themselves,as God is no respecter of persons,,,,,,,,,,,neither should we be

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Cool OP ,Old School

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with gray wolf here. The religious beliefs of the scientists has no clear correlation to religious beliefs, either way. Similarly for being an excellent teacher of science. Those who are good at this are able to explain the same thing at multiple levels depending on the audience. THey have a passion they share.. and they are approachable. They also make mistakes, go down dead ends, etc., and are unafraid to share that.