unworldly

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

i have a friend who says that he believes in all the essential doctrines and tenets of protestant Christianity.

He says that he has trusted in Jesus Christ for his salvation and respects and adheres to the Scripture.

But he also says that the main driving force behind his faith is fear of eternal torment in hell.

In fact,his fear of God by far overshadows the other aspects of his relationship with the Lord.

Do you think his faith is a genuine saving faith?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Then he does not know the love of God or have a healthy relationship with God

For God is love, and we are not given a spirit to fear, but of love power and a sound mind.

It sounds like your friend is marking time and playing church

Pray with him, to reach out for God and develop that relationship

Proverbs 1:7 says :"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of all knowledge."

Maybe,he's in the very early stages of his relationship with God ,and just needs to become more mature and grow in faith,to love God and

also accept that God is love.

He has stated clearly that he loves God.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

If you love someone deeply, don't you fear hurting them, and them you?

Is it fear that leads you to faith, or faith that leads you to fear?

If you have true faith, I think it will lead you to works, and those works may be motivated by fear or love or both, and so I don't think either is wrong so long as it produces.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

David feared God: 1 Chron 13:12

Moses Feared God: Heb 12:21

Moses told the Jews they should have the fear of God: Ex 20:20

Jesus told us to fear: Matt 10:28, Luke 12:4

no fear, no faith 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings unworldly

Welcome to Worthy......I do believe that whatever it is that leads a person to the foot of the cross is between them & God,God draws men unto Himself,convicts hearts and has made it possible for us to return to Him,reconciled,,,,,,,,,,if fear drives a man to seek Salvation then so what?The point is ,this man has arrived at Jesus feet,He knew He needs a Savior,,,,,He must now grow & le5arn ....as we all must......let us celebrate the Joy of His Salvation,let us pray He seeks relationship,Wisdom & Understanding.....

Philippians 1:15-18New International Version (NIV)

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,

Yes,I rejoice ,,,like Paul                                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

i have a friend who says that he believes in all the essential doctrines and tenets of protestant Christianity.

He says that he has trusted in Jesus Christ for his salvation and respects and adheres to the Scripture.

But he also says that the main driving force behind his faith is fear of eternal torment in hell.

In fact his fear of God by far overshadows the other aspects of his relationship with the Lord.

Do you think his faith is a genuine saving faith?

~

Smart

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever. Psalms 111:10

Fellow

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

Only GOD knows if this person is saved. If he believes that Christ died for his sins and rose from the dead, than he is saved as that is all that is required. His motivation makes no difference. It's what you believe, not how you live that saves.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

The commandment is to love God with all our heart soul, strength & mind. Each person's relationship with God is highly personal, and maybe the person needs to obey out of fear. I don't think I have ever feared hell. I have feared the chastening of God and the thought of being without His fellowship is frightening. He is my security blanket--my Comforter.

The commandment is to love God with all our heart soul, strength & mind. Each person's relationship with God is highly personal, and maybe the person needs to obey out of fear. I don't think I have ever feared hell. I have feared the chastening of God and the thought of being without His fellowship is frightening. He is my security blanket--my Comforter.

I think he's concerned about the nature of his Christian faith,because it really doesn't fit the image of a joyful,optimistic and happy Christian which we often associate with being "born-again" and which is often seen on Christian evangelical media.

His Christian faith is mostly about silent,fearful obedient worshiping of God and i think if he loves God,it's mainly because Bible tells him to love God ,and he simply obeys what the scripture instructs.

I think he concentrates his mind on his fear of the Lord ,because it helps him to avoid committing sin and stumbling in his life as a Christian.

He doesn't fit the image of a born-again Christian that is often portrayed in the media at all.