gray_robe

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

You can do everything possible to not appear to be fasting, to not draw attention to it and still find that yourself in a situation where you might need to explain why you are not eating.  Most of the time, that's not the case, but an occasion might present itself for whatever reason.  Simply mentioning the fast isn't boasting, at least to a thinking person.

And yet, in all the examples you gave, there was nothing life threatening or so important that you should feel a need to talk about your fasting.  You said that if someone invites you to dinner then you have "no choice" but to tell them you are fasting.  Those are your words, Shiloh.  A invitation to dinner is hardly a situation where you NEED to talk about your fasting. 

Your birthday party scenario isn't really analogous to the commandment about fasting because Jesus didn't say that no one could find out that you're fasting. All Jesus said is not to draw attention to yourself like the Pharisees were doing. 

Sure, and the organizer of the party didn't say Steve could not find out about the party, only that you shouldn't draw attention to it.  Of course, when you tell Steve about the party, drawing attention to the party is exactly what you're doing.  You just refuse to see it.

The problem with the Pharsees was not that they were going around telling people that they were fasting.

The instructions on fasting were not addressed to the Pharisees.  They were addressed to anyone who would follow Jesus.  The reason Jesus gave such teachings is becasue he wanted to communicate to us the values of Heaven.  The reason we apply Jesus' teachings is because we want to be a part of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Even back in his day, when he was treated as a criminal, Jesus knew people would be attracted to issues like grace, mercy, love, immortality and eternity.  But he also knew that people would reject things like discipline and self sacrifice.

This is why he asked, "Why do you call me Lord, but do not obey me"?  The problem I see in your approach to this issue is double minded. I don't know anything about you outside this forum, but based on what you've said here, your position is lukewarm.  You talk about really caring about the words of Jesus, but then you disregard them for the flimsiest of reasons. 

Shiloh, take a moment to think about your own examples.  You said that if someone invites you to dinner, then you have no choice but to tell them about your fasting. You said that.  No choice.  Doesn't that tell you anything about your position on secret fasting?  You suddenly have no choice but to go against what Jesus said about secret fasting simply because someone asks you if you want a sandwich?  You're really standing by that argument?  All someone needs to do is to be a bit nosy and you'll tell them about what Jesus said is meant to be "only for God"? Those are the actual words of Jesus, Shiloh.  "so only God knows".

There's nothing in Jesus' words about exceptions or circumstances where people invite you to dinner or get a bit nosy.  You are adding those conditions to what Jesus said, because they are convenient.  Jesus said "wash your face so only God will know".

So far, no one is accepting your premise.   No one who is skilled or competent in the Bible approaches this issue like you do.

Even IF what you are saying is an accurate representation of those who have viewed this discussion, I suspect it would only be an indication as to why Jesus said the way is narrow. Convenient doctrines are just too popular.

Guest shiloh357

So what about the prayer issue?  Jesus said the same stuff about prayer that He said about fasting.  Are you against praying in public as well?

Shiloh, do you have any idea where this concept of "leading in prayer" (as you describe it) started?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Shiloh, do you have any idea where this concept of "leading in prayer" (as you describe it) started?

Answer the question please. Shiloh asked you earlier about how you interpret praying behind closed doors.

Hi Fez,

How about you?  Do you know where this concept of "leading through prayer" started?

Guest shiloh357

You didn't answer my question, gray robe.   Do you think that a father leading his family in prayer violates Jesus' statements about prayer in the Sermon  on the Mount?  I am not interested in discussing where the concept came from.

Just answer the question...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

One can strive to follow the letter of the law and miss the heart of the law.

You didn't answer my question, gray robe.   Do you think that a father leading his family in prayer violates Jesus' statements about prayer in the Sermon  on the Mount?  I am not interested in discussing where the concept came from.

Just answer the question...

Shiloh, earlier you accused me, several times, of "adding to Jesus' words".  Now, when it comes to your interpretation, you quite plainly tell me you don't care where the concept of "leading in prayer" comes from (i.e. whether it's supported by Jesus or not).

Your standards seem to change quite easily depending on which interpretation you choose to support.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Hi Fez,

How about you?  Do you know where this concept of "leading through prayer" started?

Classic deflection, refusing to answer questions through asking another. Please answer the question Shiloh asked you.

Classic deflection, refusing to answer questions through asking another. Please answer the question Shiloh asked you.

You're kidding, right?  Anyway, first off I'm not refusing anything and secondly, seeing as how Jesus did the same thing, I'd say I'm in pretty good company with my "classic deflection".

Fez, what are you really arguing here?