• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I just find this so sad.  This is definitely a group of people who need our prayers.

Richest 1% to own more than rest of world, Oxfam says

The wealthiest 1% will soon own more than the rest of the world's population, according to a study by anti-poverty charity Oxfam.

The charity's research shows that the share of the world's wealth owned by the richest 1% increased from 44% in 2009 to 48% last year.

On current trends, Oxfam says it expects the wealthiest 1% to own more than 50% of the world's wealth by 2016.

(article continued at the link above.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It takes money to make lots of money unless you win the lottery....   I think that it's natural for this to happen as long as we live in a debt driven economic system.    What does it take to be considered to be in the top one percent???

Is this one percent income or attained wealth???

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

Why is this sad...if a man earns money he deserves it. If he's smart enough to earn more than anyone else, good for him.

Why is this sad...if a man earns money he deserves it. If he's smart enough to earn more than anyone else, good for him.

It depends on how you see things, I guess. 

I don't begrudge anyone being rich.  There have been rich people throughout history.  Ridiculously rich.  I don't care if people are rich or not, although the disparity of the wealth in this world is disturbing. 

But, I've changed.  I now see things through the lenses of souls and eternities.  Throughout the Bible there are warnings to the rich, and plenty of examples as to why there needs to be. 

1 Timothy 6:7-10, "For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs."

In Mark 10, Jesus showed how riches can be a stumbling block to people spiritually, through his conversation with the rich young ruler.

In Matthew 19, Jesus says that it's "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God."

In general, the 1% aren't content and want more.  It's about power and control.  It's the love of money and the lack of contentment.  Many grow richer while their regular employees struggle.  For example, how much money does WalMart or McDonald's need while their employees are working and still qualify for food stamps?  And yet, this point isn't even part of why I say I feel sad for them and they need our prayers.  (Although how they make their money is important to God.)  I'm concerned about their souls and their eternities.  Even that of those who make their fortunes honestly.  There are plenty of godly men in scriptures that were rich and struggled with sin, too.

The apostles used everything they had to win others to Christ.  I know we can't expect an unbelieving world to do that, but I do know that God wants the 1% for Himself, just as He wants the poorest of the poor.  It's just much, much harder for the wealthy, especially the 1%, to surrender to Jesus. 

ETA:  I also find it sad that, by next year, the 1% will own more than the rest of the world combined.  At the same time, one in nine people don’t have enough to eat and more than a billion people live on less than $1.25 a day.

It takes money to make lots of money unless you win the lottery....   I think that it's natural for this to happen as long as we live in a debt driven economic system.    What does it take to be considered to be in the top one percent???

Is this one percent income or attained wealth???

They make most of their money through investments and business income, with 35% of it coming from investments.  SOURCE.    That's why the plan to tax their compensation isn't the answer.  Personally, I don't care what "the answer" is.  God is in control and I know that nothing happens without His knowledge.  That brings me a lot of comfort, knowing that I dont' have to have the answer.  I don't have to know what to do.  I'm not responsible for the results.  My job is to bring the issue to prayer, leave it with Him, rest in His peace, and continue abiding in, and obeying Him.

From my perspective, the souls of the 1% do weigh on my heart.  I want Jesus to have the reward of His suffering.  When I pray about the situation, that gets the bulk of my prayer time, not the economic state of the world.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

I can see that happening.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

ETA:  I also find it sad that, by next year, the 1% will own more than the rest of the world combined.  At the same time, one in nine people don’t have enough to eat and more than a billion people live on less than $1.25 a day.

You know......    when my wife and I first got married, we didn't have much of anything.....   but we were just as happy as we are now.

Having a lot of wealth really isn't what a lot of people make it out to be....  I don't believe we are in the top 1%, but we have enough....   and I doubt I'd be any happier if we were in the 1%.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  24
  • Birthday:  10/15/1996

It's not the fault of the supposed one percent....which by the way the article goes on to say isn't really an accurate picture, the one in nine don't have enough.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

Yep.  What a man earns is none of my business, provided he's doing it honestly.  It's *his* property, and and hand-wringing over it is covetousness and envy.  I *like* rich people.  They've kept me employed the entirety of my adult life. 

You know......    when my wife and I first got married, we didn't have much of anything.....   but we were just as happy as we are now.

Having a lot of wealth really isn't what a lot of people make it out to be....  I don't believe we are in the top 1%, but we have enough....   and I doubt I'd be any happier if we were in the 1%.

I couldn't agree more.  There are times in my life when I've had decent money.  Not wealthy, but more than enough.  And there have been times when I've had absolutely nothing.  I just came off of a time of being unemployed, with no assistance of any kind, (no family and every friend deserted me) for eight-and-a-half months.  I just started working a part time job this past April 28th.  I made $7,800 last year.  But, you know what?  I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  It truly was one of the happiest, albeit most difficult, years of my life!  The spiritual growth and contentment that developed in my life last year has changed my life more than being given $100 million ever would have.  God miraculously, without my mentioning my needs to anyone, met every need! 

I would much rather live in daily reliance on Him for that day's food than to be rich and fall into the deception that I'm doing great and don't need Him.  Money means nothing to me because I came to know Him as my Source and my Provider.  Not money.  Not a job.  While a job is important and I believe people should work, He is still our Provider.