• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

It's not the fault of the supposed one percent....which by the way the article goes on to say isn't really an accurate picture, the one in nine don't have enough.

I didn't say the 1% were at fault.  My comment was concerning their souls.  I'm looking at the article with eternity in mind, not as economic facts or responsibility.  When I read the many warnings in scripture about the love of money, and how difficult it is for the rich to receive eternal life, and then see the excess of riches owned by these people, I can't help but wonder how many of them have fallen for the traps that come with great wealth.  How many of them see their great need for Jesus, in spite of their wealth?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

It's not the fault of the supposed one percent....which by the way the article goes on to say isn't really an accurate picture, the one in nine don't have enough.

I didn't say the 1% were at fault.  My comment was concerning their souls.  I'm looking at the article with eternity in mind, not as economic facts or responsibility.  When I read the many warnings in scripture about the love of money, and how difficult it is for the rich to receive eternal life, and then see the excess of riches owned by these people, I can't help but wonder how many of them have fallen for the traps that come with great wealth.  How many of them see their great need for Jesus, in spite of their wealth?

No offense keith but I think it is a bad assumption on your part that they have a love of money and that their souls are in any greater danger than a poor person. I do know poor folks who have a tremendous love of money. And I know wealthy folks who do not have a love of money. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

No offense keith but I think it is a bad assumption on your part that they have a love of money and that their souls are in any greater danger than a poor person. I do know poor folks who have a tremendous love of money. And I know wealthy folks who do not have a love of money. 

I don't disagree that there are poor folks with a huge love of money.  It's just as much a danger as it is to the wealthy.  But I wasn't trying to write an all-inclusive comment about everybody, whether rich or poor.  The article was about the 1% and how much of the world they own.  And yes, there are wealthy folks who don't have that kind of love of money.  My comments were based on two things:  those of the 1% who are known through the media, and the conviction placed on my heart when I read that story. 

I don't think it was a bad assumption.  I would rather assume wrongly, if I did, and have that assumption bring me to prayer, than to read a story like this and not think about it at all.  Are there Christians in the 1%?  It's likely.  I hope so.  Are there non-Christians in the 1%?  Chances are, more than there are Christians.

When I read what the scriptures say about the last days, and the warnings about the dangers of wealth, that's where my thinking naturally goes, instead of just seeing it as a news story regarding the economy.  My intention wasn't to cause an argument, but to bring a biblical viewpoint to the story.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Ok

Guest shiloh357

Money changes people.   I know of people who won a significant amount of money in local lotteries and it doesn't take long for that to change them and usually in bad ways.   I have never seen money make people more generous or godly.   If anything it's the opposite.   Extreme riches and fame are things we are not designed for.   Notice how the very rich generally seem to rather weird.   Movie stars and other celebrities tend to lose their minds.   We are not designed to handle the kind of stuff that comes with wealth like that.  God hardwired us to depend on Him, not on money.  You can even see this in those ultra-rich televangelists who go off their rockers and end up in scandals.  

We should be so caught up in the joy and peace that comes from  knowing Jesus that everything this world has to offer is bland by comparison.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

Being top 1% of the world isn't all that out of reach though. It takes around about $2.7 million dollars in assets to qualify according to average figures, not completely unattainable for the average retiring American.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

Money changes people.   I know of people who won a significant amount of money in local lotteries and it doesn't take long for that to change them and usually in bad ways.   .

I think this is true if money comes too fast and the person is not trained to handle it. The speed at which you attain money is usually the speed it goes as well as it takes a lot of wisdom to handle large wealth. People who think they could get rich with lottery (poor man's tax) are usually not wise with money, so it is not surprising that they lose their money just as fast.

I also know people with a lot of money that have been really wise with the wealth, and used it in godly ways. The difference is they have been wise with money when they had little, so they are prepared to be wise with money when they have much.

Hello Oprah Winfrey! Most of the 1%ers want to take your money and give it to someone else. But don't try and take theirs or they will move it out of the country into a bank that will hide it for them. And then scream "White Supremacy must be destroyed." I saw a black woman on TV yesterday who said "I don't hate white people, I just hate white supremacy." I'm white, but I don't feel supreme over anyone. But, I digress! Sorry.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

I just read over 125 billionaires have signed the giving pledge, pledging to give away at least 50% of their total wealth.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,176
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I just read over 125 billionaires have signed the giving pledge, pledging to give away at least 50% of their total wealth.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd enjoy giving away more than 50%.

I'd give my kids a couple of million each, set aside ten million for me and the misses, then travel the world looking for individual people to help.