• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi ValleyAnt,

That is also very good, bro. I quite agree, & we know that it is also a work of the Holy Spirit in our lives for us to walk in the spirit & not the flesh. Our wills are so strong but when yielded to God what a blessings to each other.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Matt 6:33 speaks of seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. It is speaking about our basic needs of food and clothing. But I think it is true of heavenly treasures when we seek first to put on the mind of Christ. When we are all seeking to view the world as God sees it, ( as those needing redemption through His grace, and those in whom Christ lives, having received His loving grace with thanksgiving), then we cease to focus on differences of opinion. We can respect each others differences and even learn from them.

This is how we hold onto the head, which is Christ, so that the body functions as it should.

Col. 3:12-13 NKJV Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on TENDER MERCIES, KINDNESS, HUMILITY, MEEKNESS, LONGSUFFERING; BEARING WITH ONE ANOTHER, AND FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

14-16a AMP And above all these, PUT ON LOVE, and enfold yourselves with the bond of perfectness---which binds everything together completely in ideal harmony. And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from the Christ rule (act as an umpire continually) in your hearts---deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds--- [in that peaceful state] to which [as members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful--appreciative, giving thanks to God always.

The measure by which we embrace each other is the measure of our maturity. God measures our maturity by our love for one another--even those with strange ideas.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  14.50
  • Days Won:  0

Marilyn, well said, and good job at distinguishing the unity of the Spirit from the unity of the faith.

When I talk about Christian unity, I am really talking about something that comes from humility. A good place for Christian unity to start is for Christians to choose-- as a free will act-- to be agreeable with each other. It isn't only about agreeing on everything ("unity of the faith") nor only about being in agreement ("unity of the Spirit"); it is about being agreeable (love for each other). Unity (agreeableness), therefore, is by an act of one's free will choosing to get along, because, as someone said, "we be all brethren." 

Jesus didn't agree with nor did He walk in agreement with the Pharisees; but He was agreeable or humble (loving) toward all men, even the Pharisees. This quality of His (agreeablenesshumility) made Him attractive to all but the disagreeable religious leaders. An agreeable spirit is a heart that loves; a disagreeable spirit is a heart that hates. Therefore, the call to unity or agreeableness is really a call to love one another by an act of one's free will.

In just these two paragraphs, you have unintentionally created discord in the unity you desire.  You use the phrase "free will" knowing that a large number of Christians are Calvinists.  I'm not personally offended by the "free will" phrase but I am a Fundamentalist Christian and Calvinist, of the order of Dr. John MacArthur.  Some people (not me) are fanatic about this subject, one way or the other.  You can't hardly have a civil conversation about "free will" or "Calvinism" without someone's feelings getting hurt.  This is a difficult position to start from unless you're willing to write off all Calvinists.  Just an observation. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Matt 6:33 speaks of seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. It is speaking about our basic needs of food and clothing. But I think it is true of heavenly treasures when we seek first to put on the mind of Christ. When we are all seeking to view the world as God sees it, ( as those needing redemption through His grace, and those in whom Christ lives, having received His loving grace with thanksgiving), then we cease to focus on differences of opinion. We can respect each others differences and even learn from them.

This is how we hold onto the head, which is Christ, so that the body functions as it should.

Col. 3:12-13 NKJV Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on TENDER MERCIES, KINDNESS, HUMILITY, MEEKNESS, LONGSUFFERING; BEARING WITH ONE ANOTHER, AND FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

14-16a AMP And above all these, PUT ON LOVE, and enfold yourselves with the bond of perfectness---which binds everything together completely in ideal harmony. And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from the Christ rule (act as an umpire continually) in your hearts---deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds--- [in that peaceful state] to which [as members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful--appreciative, giving thanks to God always.

The measure by which we embrace each other is the measure of our maturity. God measures our maturity by our love for one another--even those with strange ideas.

Well said. "Make every effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

Marilyn, well said, and good job at distinguishing the unity of the Spirit from the unity of the faith.

When I talk about Christian unity, I am really talking about something that comes from humility. A good place for Christian unity to start is for Christians to choose-- as a free will act-- to be agreeable with each other. It isn't only about agreeing on everything ("unity of the faith") nor only about being in agreement ("unity of the Spirit"); it is about being agreeable (love for each other). Unity (agreeableness), therefore, is by an act of one's free will choosing to get along, because, as someone said, "we be all brethren." 

Jesus didn't agree with nor did He walk in agreement with the Pharisees; but He was agreeable or humble (loving) toward all men, even the Pharisees. This quality of His (agreeablenesshumility) made Him attractive to all but the disagreeable religious leaders. An agreeable spirit is a heart that loves; a disagreeable spirit is a heart that hates. Therefore, the call to unity or agreeableness is really a call to love one another by an act of one's free will.

In just these two paragraphs, you have unintentionally created discord in the unity you desire.  You use the phrase "free will" knowing that a large number of Christians are Calvinists.  I'm not personally offended by the "free will" phrase but I am a Fundamentalist Christian and Calvinist, of the order of Dr. John MacArthur.  Some people (not me) are fanatic about this subject, one way or the other.  You can't hardly have a civil conversation about "free will" or "Calvinism" without someone's feelings getting hurt.  This is a difficult position to start from unless you're willing to write off all Calvinists.  Just an observation. 

You make a few wrong implications:

1. You said I know a large number of Christians are Calvinists. I neither know what a Calvinist believes nor do I  know or think that a large number of Christians are Calvinists. My focus is "the unity of the Spirit" (not different belief systems), which has nothing to do with people's beliefs but with the attitudes of their hearts, because that is what God's focus is.

2. You said it is the unity that desire. But it is the unity that Jesus died so that Christians can walk in. God is the One who desires, like any parent, that His children be agreeable with each other. That desire is not born in a Christian or anyone else but is born and originates in God.

The unity I speak about is loving one another by an act of our own free will; i.e. by freely exercising our own freedom to love. That has nothing to do with a belief system or position and everything to do with what the Bible says. Jesus said Christians will be known by our love for each other, not by the camps we follow. Again, the Bible is clear: "Make every effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Each Christian is to make an effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit or to keep as an ongoing thing what Jesus has won for us. There is no order in a house when everyone is disagreeable. Order and unity in the Church begins with Christians being agreeable with each other. We have long lived the sinful lifestyle of picking and choosing who we follow and what we believe and as a result alienating other children of God as if we are different. This isn't only sin but is immaturity as Paul references in 1Cor. 2-3. Mature Christians can be agreeable; only immature and often willful and stubborn Christians can keep saying like children, "I follow this person and I follow that person." We are to follow Christ and get along on that basis; that's what "the unity of the Spirit" means.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  14.50

1. You said I know a large number of Christians are Calvinists. I neither know what a Calvinist believes nor do I  know or think that a large number of Christians are Calvinists. My focus is "the unity of the Spirit" (not different belief systems), which has nothing to do with people's beliefs but with the attitudes of their hearts, because that is what God's focus is.

2. You said it is the unity that desire. But it is the unity that Jesus died so that Christians can walk in. God is the One who desires, like any parent, that His children be agreeable with each other. That desire is not born in a Christian or anyone else but is born and originates in God.

The unity I speak about is loving one another by an act of our own free will; i.e. by freely exercising our own freedom to love. That has nothing to do with a belief system or position and everything to do with what the Bible says. Jesus said Christians will be known by our love for each other, not by the camps we follow. Again, the Bible is clear: "Make every effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Each Christian is to make an effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit or to keep as an ongoing thing what Jesus has won for us. There is no order in a house when everyone is disagreeable. Order and unity in the Church begins with Christians being agreeable with each other. We have long lived the sinful lifestyle of picking and choosing who we follow and what we believe and as a result alienating other children of God as if we are different. This isn't only sin but is immaturity as Paul references in 1Cor. 2-3. Mature Christians can be agreeable; only immature and often willful and stubborn Christians can keep saying like children, "I follow this person and I follow that person." We are to follow Christ and get along on that basis; that's what "the unity of the Spirit" means.

Any response to you will derail the OP.  I'll just bow out and not cause anyone else to consider what scriptures actually say.

Any response to you will derail the OP.  I'll just bow out and not cause anyone else to consider what scriptures actually say.

The OP talks about contending for the faith once for all delivered to the Saints. I stated there, "It's my contention that unless there is a unity of the Holy Spirit among Christians, we cannot live out the full gospel which was with finality (in perfect form, nothing lacking) delivered to the Saints... I believe that as it was for the prosperity and success of the early Church, so it is for Christianity today: unity in the Spirit is the starting line and the common ground from which all the good will and works of God grow and flourish among Christians and in the Church." The contention is that unity is the starting line of genuine Christianity or Christian fellowship and that unity is incumbent on the free will decisions (daily) of Christians rather than defined by the commonality of doctrines or any other such thing. Because unity is reached by each individual's free will choice, the definition of unity is no longer nebulous, and unity is no longer unreachable among Christians. Scripture is not nebulous either but is plain, and we are not to be unwise but to understand God's will: "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." This effort at unity is by free will decisions, therefore, unity is neither hard nor is it unattainable.

The Trouble

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men,

after the rudiments of the world,

and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

With Man's Dissertations and Additions

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways,

and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

~

You can't hardly have a civil conversation about "free will"....

or "Calvinism" without someone's feelings getting hurt.... 

This is a difficult position to start from unless....

you're willing to write off all Calvinists....

Just an observation.... 

:thumbsup:

Whosoever Will

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Can

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches.

I am the root and the offspring of David,

and the bright and morning star. Revelation 22:16

Even Calvin

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come.

And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will,

let him take the water of life freely. Revelation 22:17

See?

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy;

I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit,

to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart

of the contrite ones. Isaiah 57:15

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Thanks, Joe.

Guest Judas Machabeus

I don't see how you're every going to get some Christians to be spiritualiy unified when only some misunderstand the faith / works scriptures, and dozens of other topics that are keeping Protestants divided. I don't expect the Catholics to budge on the issue either. Where does this unity start?

As an outsider ( non Protestant) I hear the claim " we have the truth" by so many flavours of Protestants yet they all can't agree. They all claim to the bible alone yet come to different conclusions.

So I struggle to see how there can be any validity in the claims that the Protestants "have the truth".

How can you have "the truth" and have thousands and thousands of denominations teaching different things? All claiming they "have the truth"

I came across a post and the person claimed that the fundamentalists had the truth and in the same paragraph goes on to mention a split caused by one person created fractions. Okay so are there multiple truths??

I believe I was born and raised in the truth and now I am testing it. Because if it is the truth than it will hold up against any testing. And so far I have yet to find any weakness in its truth.

I also find it interesting that when Protestant theology is tested it fails and divisions are created.

This is simply my opinion and observations. ill put on my flame retardant suit now ;)