• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Hi again Alex,

I think we need to be careful in everything we do.  Even if we are totally innocent of anything wrong the world has a tendency to look at it and make it wrong.  That's why if you have any question in your mind or heart that makes you think twice about what you are doing... I wouldn't do it. This has been a very good question.

Because He Lives!! RustyAngeL 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I'm not seeing the problem here.  To me it's very clear.  You'll always be doing something the gossips will talk about but, if you're doing nothing wrong, don't worry about appearances.  No matter what you do you can't please everyone so just please God and you'll be okay.  I seriously don't care what other people think as long as Jesus knows I'm keeping His commandments.  :mgbowtie: 

That is all well and good Glory but why put yourself in a position that may give the wrong appearance. Like you I care only about God's opinion of me but I never want to put myself in a place  that could even give a hint of something out of line with the Word of God.  The people that know me know how I live  my life and who I live my life for.  But for those who don't know me I want no questions in their minds on who is first in my life and what the life of a believer looks like.  Love you sis!

Because  He Lives!  RustyAngeL

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

Alex, I am not ignoring greed or gluttony. Not at all But you define "greed" as having an expensive car. Gluttony is a lack of self-control with food. No one has ignored either one of those. That's pathetically weak response.

And yes your generation as A LOT of issues with sex, particularly with the issues of sex before/outside of marriage, homosexuality, transsexuality and so on. These are huge issues for your generation. It's no just materialism.

I define greed as having a nice car just as you define adultery as having dinner with someone not your spouse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Back sooner rather than later apparently

The following is from the Got Questions site...that is not where I found my original post concerning the translation of the word that appears either as appearance

or form (of evil)

However, here is the conclusion from that site (which is a site that makes things easy for everyone to understand) and it seems the conclusion is pretty much

undergirds the point I have been trying to make

So, what is our conclusion? To avoid the appearance of evil, or every form of evil, means to stay far away from evil. We need not become legalistic regarding what others may perceive to be evil. But we do need to remain cognizant of our witness to the world and of our duty to support fellow believers. We should also be aware of our own tendencies toward sin. Rather than flirting with what could lead us into sin, we avoid evil altogether. It is important not to judge others without first judging our own hearts and motives (Matthew 7:1-5). For instance, one pastor may be perfectly capable of drinking alcohol in moderation and therefore have no problem frequenting a bar. Another may be prone to alcoholism or drunkenness and should therefore avoid bars.

Avoiding the appearance of evil, or abstaining from every form of evil, means to live in God's light by the power of the Holy Spirit. We "take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them" (Ephesians 5:11). We worry not about the perceptions of others but about the integrity of our own walk with Christ. When we avoid every kind of evil, we “make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires” (Romans 13:14, ESV).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/appearance-of-evil.html#ixzz3TMGYsPQ7

Guest shiloh357

I don't think anyone here has suggested legalism but rather avoiding potentially morally compromising situations.    No one is suggesting that wearing makeup or perfume or jewelry is evil.  No one is suggesting that we should not watch TV or go to movie theatres or that it is a sin to have a glass of wine.

Honestly, it would be nice if people could respond to what is posted rather than reacting to what they think is being said.

Guest shiloh357

Well Alex,  I did not define adultery as having dinner with someone who is not your spouse.   I never once said it was adultery.    And having a nice car isn't greed.   Greed is want it all for yourself at someone else's expense.  

I didn't suggest it either.  However, it seems legalism is suggested by the site I quoted.

Honestly, it would be nice if people could respond to what is posted rather than reacting to what they think is being said.

That is actually what is going on.  

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Or a generation that is capable of having dinner with the opposite sex without trying to or even thinking about having sex with that person.

I have come in to this debate a bit late and have only read as far as this so far.

Having dinner with a member of the opposite sex who is married can lead to temptation and has in many occasions. Bu there is no one specific right answer except to say that I, and it seems most on this thread, would not do so. In our church I would never think of ministering to a woman, married or not, without the door being open and someone in the other room. I have seen what happens when temptation sets in. A vulnerable (in my example, woman), and a man in a highly emotional situation. What happened after that nearly tore a church apart.

Always ask yourself one question of any situation or decision.

Does it honor and glorify God? If the answer is no or I don't really know, do what Paul tells us to do, and run.... 

Guest shiloh357

Yes sevenseas, legalism is mentioned and that is a legitimate concern, but nothing legalistic has been promoted by me here at all.  That's my point.  

No one is suggesting that we should not watch TV or go to movie theatres or that it is a sin to have a glass of wine.

uh huh.  Yet to some, watching tv might have the appearance of being fleshly...or a glass of wine might mean fleshy lust

The word appearance is quite subjective actually, in spite of the denial that it is not.

At any rate, I take objection to the statement that one generation is worse then another when coupled with the belief that the older generation is obviously so much better.

I'm not Alex's age....but I wouldn't make that kind of statement to try and demonstrate that everyone above a certain age is automatically in a position to judge

everyone below them

Way too many generalities given as 'proof' in this thread IMO.  And I would actually be conservative in my approach as to how others viewed me....but I think the conversation

here is trying to hard to prove something that is not necessairly so