submission

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

My memory goes back a ways as well and I was keeping track of weather then as well. Buffalo NY  and the Midwest had a couple of winters 1976- 1977 and 1977-1978 of extended cold and heavy lake effect snows. We had snow in the 1970's last as late as the middle of May in patches and in shaded holows at lower elevetions in th Adirondacks around Old Forge and Stillwater until June. Almost every year we would have some snow in May. I haven't seen a snow fall in May here in a ocuple of decades. The last 2 winters here have been cold this one especially. 

Edited by submission

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  288

The location where weather readings are taken for various cities will sometimes change. Utica NY the city where I live has records that predate the Civil War but the location where readings are measured has changed a number of times. The current location has a wide diurnal range in temperature. The equipment or method of measurement itself can be faulty. For along time El Azizia Libya was considered to have recorded the highest temperature in the world at 136 in 1922. The record was long suspect because no temperature approaching 136 was ever again recorded around El Azizia. In 2012 the temperature was invalidated and the hottest official world temperature is now considered to be 134 at Greenland Ranch in Death Valley, California. However 159 Fahrenheit was recorded remotely by satellite in the Lut desert in Iran. The desert is uninhabited due to its harsh temperatures and other excessive temperaures have been recorded there remotely.

Edited by submission

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

Memories are exteremly subjective and not a good thing to make judgements off of.

As an example, in the 5th grade my family took a trip to London. My memories are of a fast paced, running all over the place, hot and sweaty vacation. My mom remembers it very differently, yet we were both there together with the rest of the family.

LOL ... I trust my memories and know what I know. I also know I don't remember everything. Unlike you, I don't go by what the records have in them. A good example is when a temp is recorded, the recorded temp is from the station the recording was made, not where I lived. So, many times it is reported to be one temp, but when I check the thermometer, it is either higher or lower, seldom the same. You can doubt yourself all you want, that is your prerogative.

Maybe the temps are different becaue you more than likely have a cheap thermometer compared to what the official reporting stations use. Also, the variance in reporting stations is taken into account.

Do you ignore the facts and use your memory in any other areas besides the climate? When the weather man says " the record high temp for this day was in 1984" do you go to yourself " I remember it being hotter on that day in 1978".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings One Light....

Funny,in reading your posts I was thinking back and like you,I know what I know and although I have spoent my youth in New York I still have family there & you know how those phone calls go,"So,hows the weather?"....lol      As they tell me of the "unusual amounts of snowfall & extreme cold in winter & extreme heat in summer"      It reminds me of my youth & I often say to my cousins,"Don't you remember when we were kids........?" & they say"Oh yeah,thats right!"

In saying all that,I don't know where I was reading (on-line) but some organization or weather bureau had charts from the 30's & 40's up to now and according to them ,there is nothing really out of the ordinary,,,,,,,as a matter of fact ,,,,it kind of seemed like there were "cycles" of weather......like eg: every so many years it is like it is now,,,,,,,they also had charts of earthquakes,Tsunami's & Hurricaines & there too,nothing so unusual.....we just heard less about it because of modern technology in the media..........I wish I could remexmber where I saw all these charts ,it was very interesting............

I am sure your recollection is spot on!!!!!                                 With love-in Christ,Kwik

Dear Alex,,,,,,,don't you think perhaps you were a little out of line,,,,,,,

Do you ignore the facts and use your memory in any other areas besides the climate? When the weather man says " the record high temp for this day was in 1984" do you go to yourself " I remember it being hotter on that day in 1978"

We are ,after all,,,,,Brothers & Sisters in Christ......there are nicer ways to speak to one another,a little kindness goes a long way & sarcasm is not necessary,,,,,,,,,,,you are loved

I apologize again if that was out of line, just trying to show what I see as the absurdity of choosing memories over data.

Memories are 100% subjective, that is just a pure fact. What is a "lot of snow" is different to a 10 year old and a 20 year old. "It was really cold" is again subjective. Memories are influenced by so many things. I truly cannot understand why someone would reject a million points of data for their own subjective memories.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Memories are exteremly subjective and not a good thing to make judgements off of.

As an example, in the 5th grade my family took a trip to London. My memories are of a fast paced, running all over the place, hot and sweaty vacation. My mom remembers it very differently, yet we were both there together with the rest of the family.

LOL ... I trust my memories and know what I know. I also know I don't remember everything. Unlike you, I don't go by what the records have in them. A good example is when a temp is recorded, the recorded temp is from the station the recording was made, not where I lived. So, many times it is reported to be one temp, but when I check the thermometer, it is either higher or lower, seldom the same. You can doubt yourself all you want, that is your prerogative.

Maybe the temps are different becaue you more than likely have a cheap thermometer compared to what the official reporting stations use. Also, the variance in reporting stations is taken into account.

Do you ignore the facts and use your memory in any other areas besides the climate? When the weather man says " the record high temp for this day was in 1984" do you go to yourself " I remember it being hotter on that day in 1978".

Mercury thermometers are accurate. They have no springs. 

As for facts, I am very used to using "fact" as I use to use statistical analysis to analyze manufacturing processes.  "Facts" can very from one person to another as they take measurements.  I do not dismiss facts, but I also do not dismiss what I remember.  I use the weather reports as a general measurement, not an accurate measurement.  You, our new friend, can do as you please.

I also don't spend my time trying to prove someone else wrong.  My whole submission to this thread was to encourage others to remember and use this mode also, not to override any scientific analysis.

Blessings Alex....

I know exactly what you are saying ,,,,,when my son was little my mom used to babysit for me & she used let him nap on her bed,which was just a Full size bed,,,,,,,,we moved away & many years later we visited my mother at her house & my son said,"What happened to that HUGE bed you used to let me nap on?"   LOL

So ,yeah ,Alex,,,,,,I get your point & I think it safe to say that none of us dismiss "statistics & facts",,,,,,,,,who & what those statistics & facts are collected & measured by is of course,extremely important.However,when you have lived as many years as some of us have you can ,just by experiencing first hand,see a cycle & record it in your memory,,,,,For example:as a child I remember the city snow plows had to clear the roads because we got 5 & 6ft of snow for many years,,,,as I got older the inches of snowfall were less & less and the winters got very mild  and now the snow,once again ,is not recorded in inches but in "feet" & the temperatures again,are very low........clearly a cycle....

Anyway,if facts,data,statistics  &/or records are going to be referred to then it is very necessary to say where they came from & either refer to the source or post a link,,,,,,,,,, or it is just to be considered hearsay,almost as reliable as memory-lol                                                       With love-in Christ,Kwik

I am not trying to prove anyone wrong, just pointing out what I view as flawed thinking.

Let me ask you this, if your analysis at work showed clearly that Method B was more efficient but a guy told you " I remember when we used to pump out twice as many, back in the day". Would you trust your analysis or his memory?

Blessings Alex,,,,

I am not sure who you are addressing but if I may?

Would I trust MY analysis over SOMEONE ELSES memory? We are not talking about someone elses memory but in fact,our own,,,,,,,,However,the subject matter was not about exactness of data or records it was about cycles,,,,,,,,,I could not say,on June 14,1963 it was 100 degrees,I can only tell you they were hot summers in New York & then for many years they were not very hot and presently they are up around the 100's once again,,,,,,,,,,

Anyway,as I said,,,,,,,data is great,,,,so just post from where it comes for credibility & accuracy                 With love-in Christ,Kwik

Kwilphilly, the data sets are available from NASA on their website.