Jack86753

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I do not have any Christian books and I've noticed by watching Christian television channels that many preachers and speakers have books available. Does anybody know of a good author to start with? I would be interested in Christian nonfiction and fiction. Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.71
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Welcome.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

A lot of the books written by tbn preachers are not worth reading in my opinion. 

Biographies of missionaries and other Christians are good to read. 

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom is excellent. I highly recommend that. 

Through the Gates of Splendor is another good book.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

Pilgrims Progress is also a great read. Its fiction but it is really good and In His Steps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

I do not have any Christian books and I've noticed by watching Christian television channels that many preachers and speakers have books available. Does anybody know of a good author to start with? I would be interested in Christian nonfiction and fiction. Thank you.

Be careful the Christian authors that you pick.Make sure they are not false teachers.

Two good nonfiction pastors to read:

Billy Graham

Dr.Charles Stanley

Here is a list of Christian fiction authors:

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/booklists/?id=christianfiction

Guest LadyC

angela hunt does awesome historical fiction, often biblically based, always faith based. 

kay arthur is great. she does mostly non-fiction, but her novel "israel, my beloved" is phenomenal. it's the story of israel's history, but israel is portrayed in the story as a human woman. i know that sounds weird, but it works.

terri blackstock writes contemporary novels. she's really, really good. "the restoration" series is three novels long, and is very unusual tale of survival. i highly recommend it. it tells the story of what happens to a family and a community after a solar flare destroys the entire power grid. the whole world is suddenly plunged back into the dark ages. really cool, because it could actually happen! 

but the novels that i absolutely can never praise enough are written by an author named nancy rue. LOL, i know, weird, right? she wrote in an interview one time that she chose not to use a fake name because people would never forget her real one. her "reluctant prophet" series is a set nobody should overlook. and just so you know, she's not really a prophet. but she is a normal every day person who finds herself led by God to sell her car and buy a harley, and take her faith to the streets, working with druggies and prostitutes. seriously, best fiction novels i've read in years.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Well... my favorite author is Mark Cahill. He's only wrote 5 books though.

Check em' out

Christians have been writing 19-1/2 centuries, so there are plenty of good choices to choose from, Many are available for free on the internet, if you just want to read and do not need a paper copy.

One of my favorite authors (probably my favorite Christian author) is the apostle Paul, who wrote:

Romans
1st and 2nd Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians
Colossians
1st and 2nd Thessalonians
1st and 2nd Timothy
Titus
Philemon
and possibly the book of Hebrews

These books are contained the the New Testament of the Bible. Other books by Christian authors (outside of the Bible) tend to have more opinions, interpretations, speculations, or are written for entertainment value. I am not saying they are not worth the read, but if you have not read the books above, those are a great place to start, especially the book of Romans.

For more modern books, many of my favorites are here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/omegaman2point0

If you want to come up to speed on the topic(s) of theology, I could recommend getting the book Concise Theology, by Packer, or, you can read it online here.

Your question is extremely broad, for such a huge topic, if you could be more specific on what you are after, I could be more specific in my reply.

Welcome to Worthy!

Curiosity LadyC . . . 

You only listed female authors . . . 

Then I noticed, I only listed male authors, LOL.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Christians have been writing 19-1/2 centuries, so there are plenty of good choices to choose from, Many are available for free on the internet, if you just want to read and do not need a paper copy.

One of my favorite authors (probably my favorite Christian author) is the apostle Paul, who wrote:

Romans

1st and 2nd Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians
Colossians
1st and 2nd Thessalonians
1st and 2nd Timothy
Titus
Philemon
and possibly the book of Hebrews

These books are contained the the New Testament of the Bible. Other books by Christian authors (outside of the Bible) tend to have more opinions, interpretations, speculations, or are written for entertainment value. I am not saying they are not worth the read, but if you have not read the books above, those are a great place to start, especially the book of Romans.

For more modern books, many of my favorites are here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/omegaman2point0

If you want to come up to speed on the topic(s) of theology, I could recommend getting the book Concise Theology, by Packer, or, you can read it online here.

Your question is extremely broad, for such a huge topic, if you could be more specific on what you are after, I could be more specific in my reply.

Welcome to Worthy!

Yeah, if anyone hasn't read the Bible all the way thru at least once, it would be wise to do so before reading anything else...

As Spurgeon said, “Visit many good books, but live in the Bible" or even better “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”

That said, CH Spurgeon is also a good author.

Edited by InSeasonOut